Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest Spiria

Hatem Ben Arfa's pressure penalty at Loftus Road paved the way for Newcastle to secure their Barclays Premier League status - and the French star is confident of better things next year.

Sunday's 2-1 win against Queens Park Rangers guaranteed top flight football at St. James' Park next term but, while there was a sense of relief at the full-time whistle, Ben Arfa knows that the Tyneside public rightly demand more.

Reaching the quarter-finals of the Europa League should be underestimated and gave the fans some memorable nights but the domestic performance has been some way below the previous campaign, when United finished fifth.

However, with safety assured with a match to spare - the Magpies host Arsenal next weekend - the man from Clamart believes the foundations can now be laid for a strong 2013/14.

Speaking exclusively to nufc.co.uk, Ben Arfa said: "We're all very happy; all the team are very happy for the supporters of the Club.

"We fought hard for that and we're very happy to be safe.

"Everybody fought for the win - defensively and offensively, we stayed together and helped each other.

"We all fought for the Club and today we are very happy because the objective was to be safe.

"Next year we start another season and I think we're going to be very, very high in the table.

"I think we're going to do a big pre-season and I hope we start well. If we start well, I think it can be a very good season like last year."

On a nervy afternoon in the capital, Loic Remy put the already-relegated hosts ahead from the spot after just 11 minutes but Ben Arfa won a penalty of his own seven minutes later.

And, with the 1,608 fans behind the opposite goal biting their nails, he calmly stepped up to fire past Rob Green to level matters. Compatriot Yoan Gouffran's 35th minute effort proved to be the winner but Ben Arfa's contribution at such a crucial time took nerves of steel.

Yet he insisted: "It was not stressful but I wanted to show to the squad that I have confidence. (How was it not stressful xD)

"I scored and then we scored the second goal. After that, everybody stayed together and now we're very happy for our supporters.

"They were very important for us today because they came a long way, to London, and they supported us.

"It was very important because they saw that we're all together. They give us so much and we give everything on the pitch for them."

Sounds optimistic about future at nufc  :smitten: Favourite player since probably Shearer.

Same, absolutely love the guy.

His flashes of brilliance are one of the main reasons I renewed next season and the expectancy around the ground when he gets the ball is fantastic. Fingers crossed we can see a lot more of him next season than we have this current one.

Best NUFC pen I've seen since Shearer.

Shola's vs Sunderland was just as good

I don't recall, did it go in the top corner?

Nah low and hit the side netting, was brilliant

Ahh yeah. Nothing beats a top corner pen imo.

Ahh yeah. Nothing beats a top corner pen imo.

I agree, but Shola's for me is the best I've seen since Shearer. This one runs it very close

BOOMF. That pen. Wow.

I thought he'd missed at first.

Trevor Francis and his co commentator were saying he'd buried it, great pen etc whereas at the time i thought he'd sky'ed it.

BBC MOTD were nearer the mark mind, saying an inch higher and it would have rebounded out as it did narf take a whack off the crossbar.

Great penalty, just brushed the underside of the bar, a few mm higher and it would have bounced down over the line, a few more and it would have bounced out.  Never looked like he had a single doubt whether it was going in or not, balls of fucking steel.

BOOMF. That pen. Wow.

I thought he'd missed at first.

Trevor Francis and his co commentator were saying he'd buried it, great pen etc whereas at the time i thought he'd sky'ed it.

BBC MOTD were nearer the mark mind, saying an inch higher and it would have rebounded out as it did narf take a whack off the crossbar.

Yup, shit me right up.  Good penalty but a bit too close for my liking :lol:

Tbh I still think Shola's v the mackems was better, perfectly placed with enough power so the keeper had no chance and you knew it was going in.

If HBA had missed (which he didn't) he would have just made another goal, he could do what he wanted against that qpr defence.

Would have been nice of him to make a couple anyway then.

Naarh, he likes the drama, so he only uses his powers when it's needed.