Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Guest firetotheworks

The thing with the MOTD crew is, as far as I can tell, every set of fans thinks that they're talking shit about their team, yet I imagine a lot of people will take what they say about other teams and other players as gospel. Even Shearer knows nothing about our team and our player's strengths and weaknesses ffs. They're an absolute mile behind Gary Neville.

The thing with the MOTD crew is, as far as I can tell, every set of fans thinks that they're talking shit about their team, yet I imagine a lot of people will take what they say about other teams and other players as gospel. Even Shearer knows nothing about our team and our player's strengths and weaknesses ffs. They're an absolute mile behind Gary Neville.

Fair point, I wish they just had clips and much less analysis TBH.

Guest firetotheworks

The thing is though, it's not like Ben Arfa's right hand side, or him taking players on both ways is some kind of secret. He lashed one in AGAINST VILLA this time last year, he also took on the Bolton team and the Blackburn team and scored, and completely humiliated the West Brom team in a season when we were in the limelight a lot more. The research that was needed extended only as far as having eyes. It's pathetic and they're endlessly pathetic.

The thing is though, it's not like Ben Arfa's right hand side, or him taking players on both ways is some kind of secret. He lashed one in AGAINST VILLA this time last year, he also took on the Bolton team and the Blackburn team and scored, and completely humiliated the West Brom team in a season when we were in the limelight a lot more. The research that was needed extended only as far as having eyes. It's pathetic and they're endlessly pathetic.

He's good on both sides (because he is an amazing talent), but continually letting him cut inside and shoot at your keeper is just suicidal football and Villa let it happen repeatedly. He needs to be doubled or shown down the right. Luna/Villa as team did neither of these things. How many warnings did they need between the current match and the goal against Fulham to stop letting him cut in left? :lol:

He's good on both sides (because he is an amazing talent), but continually letting him cut inside and shoot at your keeper is just suicidal football and Villa let it happen repeatedly. He needs to be doubled or shown down the right. Luna/Villa as team did neither of these things. How many warnings did they need between the current match and the goal against Fulham to stop letting him cut in left? :lol:

They were doubled up on him when he took the shot to score at Fulham and when he took the shot that led to Gouffran's goal.

True, but still both goals are very poor examples of individual defending. Both Risse and Luna are meant to be showing him right., but are too busy backing into the eighteen yard box to have any real effect. He doesn't even have to beat the full back in either case. I suppose it is generally what happens when a poor standard of defender encounters a player of such a high level, they panic and back off.

True, but still both goals are very poor examples of individual defending. Both Risse and Luna are meant to be showing him right., but are too busy backing into the eighteen yard box to have any real effect. He doesn't even have to beat the full back in either case. I suppose it is generally what happens when a poor standard of defender encounters a player of such a high level, they panic and back off.

Think it might be the other way around really, they have to back off because he'll skin them if they don't.

I think an underrated aspect is his body/eye movement as well. He's constantly feinting and dummying, must be a nightmare to predict what he's going to do with the ball.

For me, to defend against Ben Arfa in a way that is in any shape or form acceptable is to start a yard or two away from him and when the pall is played into him get tight quickly and don't let him turn. He isn't the fastest in the world, but he is incredibly talented / skillful especially at dribbling. If you don't allow him to get settled on it you save the whole problem of having to double up and / or having to back off so you don't get raped.

Nevertheless, he is absolutely fucking immense, so chances are he will show you up once or twice.

What we seem to be getting right at the moment is giving him the freedom to roam, and when he can do that he is unplayable, unless you have someone competent enough to man-mark him.

Guest firetotheworks

Pushing him back into getting the ball on the half way line is also a way to counteract him, but with less defensive tactics it undoes that as well. We'll get a better idea against Hull at home, than against Villa  away like.

Pushing him back into getting the ball on the half way line is also a way to counteract him, but with less defensive tactics it undoes that as well. We'll get a better idea against Hull at home, than against Villa  away like.

Probably right, if he's receiving the ball regularly in space in the opponents half it's basically already over.

They are useless on MOTD. It's not just us either. Hansen was ripping into Eto'o saying he couldn't do this and couldn't do that and that he "doesn't have a left foot either" either? haha this guy has been one of the top strikers in world football for about a decade and he's judging him on less that 10 minutes of highlights in one game :lol:

Used to like Hansen but the way he judges teams and players on tiny bits of footage is embarrassing.

New 5.5 year deal wouldn't go amiss before Xmas time.

Club should sort this out, make up for the dissapointing summer window.

Needs to be done,  if it isn't done before January (which I don't see happening) I'll expect the worst if he keeps performing like this/stays fit.

Guest firetotheworks

They are useless on MOTD. It's not just us either. Hansen was ripping into Eto'o saying he couldn't do this and couldn't do that and that he "doesn't have a left foot either" either? haha this guy has been one of the top strikers in world football for about a decade and he's judging him on less that 10 minutes of highlights in one game :lol:

Used to like Hansen but the way he judges teams and players on tiny bits of footage is embarrassing.

He didn't honestly say those things about Eto'o did he? :lol:

yep, think he also was doing some defending "analysis" and they paused the footage there was a player mid side-step who had his legs crossed and he started going on about how stupid it was to defend with your legs crossed and "what's all that about"

Like to think he was joking for the legs crossed one though :)

yep, think he also was doing some defending "analysis" and they paused the footage there was a player mid side-step who had his legs crossed and he started going on about how stupid it was to defend with your legs crossed and "what's all that about"

Like to think he was joking for the legs crossed one though :)

me and mate were pissing ourselves laughing at that piece of 'analysis'

Please stay fit.

Please sign a 5 year contract.

Please make the France World Cup team.

Please tear it up and lead them far in the competition.

Please then go on to be the most expensive player in history next summer for £90 million, so we can make Mike happy again with a +90 million transfer window.

:)

I love watching him run with the ball, sometimes he doesn't even need to touch the ball the beat them.  There was one run against West Brom a couple years ago where he goes past 3 defenders without shifting the ball.  They just shit themselves so badly all three go for his legs and he slaloms past.

I also appreciate that a lot of players like Ben Arfa would dive a lot, but he totally doesn't.  I think it's just because he so wants to continue skinning people to score the perfect goal.

Basically he's amazing.