Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

And the problem remains that our players stand still and watch him when he has the ball. The opposition regularly put three men on him, which means there's space elsewhere, yet nobody running into it.

Our players are so unused to attacking flair that they are dumbstruck whenever anyone pulls some out. See Anita dribbling in the box yesterday and everyone else playing 'who can be best statue'. :lol:

Edit: beaten to it. :laugh:

I think hes tried that with him, and as he didnt heed it, he was benched.

I hope that you enjoy the plank that has scored a goal every 10 games over the last 3 1/2 seasons and kept him out of the game yesterday.

I hope that you enjoy the plank that has scored a goal every 10 games over the last 3 1/2 seasons and kept him out of the game yesterday.

I enjoy the team having us 6th in the league. :thup:

You'd be hard pressed not to find a player like HBA who doesn't waste a lot of good opportunities tbh, because they create so many for themselves. Suarez made a right mess of a couple today (notably when he could have squared to Henderson for a tap in but went greedy and had his shot saved). If that's your one chance in the game then it's a problem. If you're that good that you get into ten of those positions and waste seven, it's less of a concern.

Pretty sure that statistically the player who gives the ball away most in Europe is Messi, and has been for years.

Sigh. I think a player of HBA talents should producing a lot more. The guy wasn't far away from the likes of Gareth Bale couple years ago. Now... he's miles away.

Gareth Bale tended to play. I think that helped him tbh.

If you think that's the only difference, then you're either naive or your love for HBA is clouding your judgement.

At the moment he's wasted potential with the odd bit of brilliance. Not good enough for one of the most talented players to come out of France.

Ronaldo probably expected something like 4 assists but just went with his planned response anyway :lol:

Based on what? I asked a question, I don't hide behind then if I have something to say. I badly want Hatem in the starting Xl but his contribution to team play simply doesn't warrant the special treatment he gets here, which is partially why he's gained weight and his form has dipped.

The other point to be made is that we're going to have to accept he's never going to be this central playmaker that folk on here have been saying he is for years while telling people like me who identify him as a wide player only that we know fuck all about how good he was in France.

One thing that does piss me off, Jonas fucking Gutierrez was afforded a weekly exhibition in being the worst player on the pitch for the whole of last season. Ben Arfa gets marginalised after winning us 4 points in his first 4 games then being ineffective for a few weeks.

if he made better decisions, more often, theres no doubt he has all the ability to be an outstanding player. Easily the ability to be a really top notch player.

Frustrating as f*** watching him have all this ability and make the wrong choice  so often. he will hang onto the ball too long, try and beat too many players, go for over optimistic shots- when if he decided to Im certain he could pick and make killer passes and produce far more for the team.

Wonder how much influence Pardew has on his play. Surely it can't be hard to instruct him to lay it off it earlier, maybe he does.

Thought that was always more to do with his workrate in a defensive capacity. Which to be fair I think paid off to some degree.

There were definitely some quotes around from Pardew saying he wanted HBA to play at a quicker tempo, think it was around the time of the Fulham game. I thought there was a noticeable difference in his mentality against Man U.

You'd be hard pressed not to find a player like HBA who doesn't waste a lot of good opportunities tbh, because they create so many for themselves. Suarez made a right mess of a couple today (notably when he could have squared to Henderson for a tap in but went greedy and had his shot saved). If that's your one chance in the game then it's a problem. If you're that good that you get into ten of those positions and waste seven, it's less of a concern.

Pretty sure that statistically the player who gives the ball away most in Europe is Messi, and has been for years.

A voice of reason in this thread, one of a few. Thank you.

And the problem remains that our players stand still and watch him when he has the ball. The opposition regularly put three men on him, which means there's space elsewhere, yet nobody running into it.

Our players stand still when anyone has the ball...that's the problem, nobody is making fast runs into space after passing and it means the opposition have too much time to get back in numbers.

Our players stand still when anyone has the ball...that's the problem, nobody is making fast runs into space after passing and it means the opposition have too much time to get back in numbers.

Seems we work so hard when we don't have the ball that when we do have it, everyone switches off. Best bit of possession football is that you have energy in attack.

Ronaldo probably expected something like 4 assists but just went with his planned response anyway :lol:

Nothing at all wrong with his assist or goal contribution with the time he's had on the pitch, especially when you consider other factors such as his return from injury, the abomination that was last season, and him being completely s*** on by Pardew as soon as he runs a couple of balls out of play.

Like every other player in the side he needs to be allowed to have quiet games and not be chastised for them. It's a recurring theme with him though, he'll have a run of half a dozen games or so where he ranges from decent to the best player on the park, followed by 1-2 sub standard showings and he's sitting in the dugout for the next 3 month. If he was in Remy's place he'd be starting on the bench at Selhurst Park after the last couple of games.

No mention of not performing to a high standard? This is one of the things that irks me most about this forum. Blame everything except the player.

I mean if we are going to compare HBA to Messi or even Suarez in terms of end product.... we should close this thread.

Based on what? I asked a question, I don't hide behind then if I have something to say. I badly want Hatem in the starting Xl but his contribution to team play simply doesn't warrant the special treatment he gets here, which is partially why he's gained weight and his form has dipped.

Powerful posting.

Nothing at all wrong with his assist or goal contribution with the time he's had on the pitch, especially when you consider other factors such as his return from injury, the abomination that was last season, and him being completely s*** on by Pardew as soon as he runs a couple of balls out of play.

Like every other player in the side he needs to be allowed to have quiet games and not be chastised for them. It's a recurring theme with him though, he'll have a run of half a dozen games or so where he ranges from decent to the best player on the park, followed by 1-2 sub standard showings and he's sitting in the dugout for the next 3 month. If he was in Remy's place he'd be starting on the bench at Selhurst Park after the last couple of games.

No mention of not performing to a high standard? This is one of the things that irks me most about this forum. Blame everything except the player.

You're dense as fuck you like :lol:

Why would I blame the player in a post that explains why I don't think "his assist record is that bad"? That wouldn't make any sense at all. The variables listed where mitigating factors outside of his own ability for why I didn't think it was that bad.

I don't think he's performed to a high standard, not consistently anyway, I don't think that can really be argued against. Some of that is down to his own shortcomings as a player and some of it is down to him either not being played, or playing in a system that doesn't suit him and allow him to play his natural game. Ultimately though if you find the right system for him and actually play him he'll deliver, that won't happen here though.

What special treatment does Ben Arfa get on here?  People just want him involved more in the side because of his ability on the ball.  Its the same way anyone is treated, we want players involved who contribute.  Whether that contribution is to the teams general play, some individual magic or a bit of both.  What people don't want is the likes of Obertan, who doesn't contribute in any way, coming on ahead of him.

Guest palnese

We should sell him in january. He's probably our best player and my favourite but there's no use in having him really if he's getting 15 mins here and there.

Not sure how much he would go for. Hopefully Liverpool would still be interested.

:lol: