Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Following his superb cameo at Palace followed by setting up two goals, winning a penalty and hitting the woodwork twice against Stoke, asking him to again be the impact sub just makes him think he needs to do more and more on his own imo, and that's exactly what he tries.

That's one interpretation.  I don't think it fits the repeating trend we see with Ben Arfa though.  His pass/touch percentages....

http://i44.tinypic.com/30m5ycj.jpg

He plays a few games in a row and reverts to his natural style of doing it all himself.  Pardew then intervenes and hammers it in his head to pass.  He comes back and pases more than the game that led to him being dropped...but soon goes back to what he wants to do if he keeps getting on the field which is everything himself.

The pattern becomes more pronounced as the season goes on and he gets frustrated at not playing (especially after a good performance), but I don't think the end product we saw in one game against 9 men has led to any greater or lesser amount of greed, it's just the way he'll always be.

Get a life.

Following his superb cameo at Palace followed by setting up two goals, winning a penalty and hitting the woodwork twice against Stoke, asking him to again be the impact sub just makes him think he needs to do more and more on his own imo, and that's exactly what he tries.

hitting the woodwork twice against a 9 man stoke, before that he was as poor as the rest.

I thought he was slightly better than most against Stoke in the first 45 mins. Then he tore them a new arsehole in the second half.

Get a life.

:laugh:

My first posts in weeks because I'm at work during the quietest time of the year.

When was the last day you didn't post on here, even in your own time?

Why ask a question you can answer yourself? You're nuts man, trying to prove something about a player with a graph, bonkers.

Yeah, I'm not sure the fact that you posted was what he was referring to? Just a hunch.

The comparison between me spending 20 minutes this morning looking at Ben Arfa's passing and him spending his life on here is what I was referring to though.  Given that he said I'M the one that needs to get a life.  O0

Yeah, I'm not sure the fact that you posted was what he was referring to? Just a hunch.

The comparison between me spending 20 minutes this morning looking at Ben Arfa's passing and him spending his life on here is what I was referring to though.  Given that he said I'M the one that needs to get a life.  O0

:lol:

Yup. Obviously feels like he hasn't done enough to warrant a start so tries even harder.

Why he wasn't on the pitch from the start I'll never know. A real game changer.

“I keep saying to (Ben Arfa) that Gouffran and Sissoko have set the standard here – the sort of standard that you would expect at Bayern Munich from their wide players – and that’s what we need from him,” said Pardew.

“If he brings that and (his) talent, then he’ll get a regular place in the team.”

Ben Arfa's not listening if he thinks he can single handedly score his way into the first team.

Guest bimpy474

“I keep saying to (Ben Arfa) that Gouffran and Sissoko have set the standard here – the sort of standard that you would expect at Bayern Munich from their wide players – and that’s what we need from him,” said Pardew.

“If he brings that and (his) talent, then he’ll get a regular place in the team.”

Ben Arfa's not listening if he thinks he can single handedly score his way into the first team.

It's not about scoring, it's about Ben Arfa defensive workrate and that is what keeps him from starting regular, as i think you know anyway.

If Pardew looks at that first then he can fuck right off. Let the boy free to play is what i would do, no defensive responsibilities at all.

That's one interpretation.  I don't think it fits the repeating trend we see with Ben Arfa though.  His pass/touch percentages....

http://i44.tinypic.com/30m5ycj.jpg

He plays a few games in a row and reverts to his natural style of doing it all himself.  Pardew then intervenes and hammers it in his head to pass.  He comes back and pases more than the game that led to him being dropped...but soon goes back to what he wants to do if he keeps getting on the field which is everything himself.

The pattern becomes more pronounced as the season goes on and he gets frustrated at not playing (especially after a good performance), but I don't think the end product we saw in one game against 9 men has led to any greater or lesser amount of greed, it's just the way he'll always be.

Your chart actually shows a rising trend when he starts a few games in a row and a falling trend when he's a sub, exactly as folk on here have been saying.  Do you even stat?

Your chart actually shows a rising trend when he starts a few games in a row and a falling trend when he's a sub, exactly as folk on here have been saying.  Do you even stat?

The drop off from Hull to Everton, from Liverpool to Sunderland to Stoke is in games started.  He only started more than 2 games in a row in the in the first few games of the season though.  His performances at that time peaked at Villa.  Perhaps he felt his own game suffered against Hull where he was poor but it was his most passing game for us, so against Everton he tried his own thing more..and was woeful.

actually wasn't that bad against Everton but the whole team was shocking first half and he was the only one trying. Got taken off ofcourse. Hull game was his worst. Everything he did was sloppy and he was at fault for 2 goals.

If it takes a team time to gel then why do we expect Hatem to come straight into the team and be amazing. He will always have amazing moments purely because of his ability but what we need is him involved more doing the simple stuff as well as the outstanding. Its time for Pardew to be starting him in a run of games and not just dropping him if he isn't an instant match winner.

Guest Howaythetoon

Someone like Ben Arfa needs to play every week and with freedom. Yes he will infuriate and make mistakes and he will give the ball away and make the wrong decisions, but not always. Given a full season, with the freedom to play his own game, he would get 10 goals at least and create just as many, easily. On top of that he would strike fear into the opposition, forcing opposition manager's to use strong-arm tactics or other methods to stop him, thus enabling others in our side to express themselves. Plus he would get bums off seats so to speak. Never gonna happen under a conservative, defense minded manager though. Ben Arfa under a KK or Sir Bobby would be to us what Ginola was or Robert at their peak, match winners, exciting to watch and capable of taking us to another level. He's wasted here.

Struggling to see the point of a pass percentage stat for a player who's responsibility is to create and damage the opponent directly.

:lol: It's one of the most pointless graphs yet.

Have to agree with both hee.

What Pardew should be focusing on is not Ben Arfa's work rate but his off the ball movement which is in need of improvement and would create havoc.

His problem is he doesn't know where to move, learning from the likes of Ozil, Suarez, Silva etc etc would do him wonders and actually make playing him centrally a worthwhile subject.

As it is we are discussing something which is meaningless and getting further and further away from getting the best from our most talented player.

Someone like Ben Arfa needs to play every week and with freedom. Yes he will infuriate and make mistakes and he will give the ball away and make the wrong decisions, but not always. Given a full season, with the freedom to play his own game, he would get 10 goals at least and create just as many, easily. On top of that he would strike fear into the opposition, forcing opposition manager's to use strong-arm tactics or other methods to stop him, thus enabling others in our side to express themselves. Plus he would get bums off seats so to speak. Never gonna happen under a conservative, defense minded manager though. Ben Arfa under a KK or Sir Bobby would be to us what Ginola was or Robert at their peak, match winners, exciting to watch and capable of taking us to another level. He's wasted here.

He's never got 10 goals or assists at any club in his whole career.  Even when he's made between 40 and 50 appearances.  Pardew has got more end product from him than any other manager in fewer games.

Doesn't tally with Pardew being to blame for inhibiting him.

Guest hatem garrincha

What Pardew should be focusing on is not Ben Arfa's work rate but his off the ball movement which is in need of improvement and would create havoc.

I don't think Pardew quotes about Sissoko and Gouffran as the examples to follow have anything to do with their off the ball movement...