Football League Show binned?

Dave

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/BBC-set-to-axe-the-Football-League-Show-article846904.html

BBC set to wield axe on Football League Show

Published 23:59 28/12/11 By MirrorFootball

The BBC will axe the popular Football League Show at the end of the season, fuelling fans' speculation that Match of the Day could follow.

The news comes after supporters complained when the Show was not shown on Boxing Day.

An insider said: “This will be the last season the BBC broadcasts the Football League Show.

“It is coming to the end of a three year contract and it will not be renewed.”

Amid fears that Match of the Day, which is up for tender next year, could follow there are also concerns over future broadcasts of England internationals and club games - with the BBC’s Head of Sport, Barbara Slater, admitting live football is “out of reach” of the licence-payer budget.

Insiders claim the Football League Show is being axed because it was too expensive. The BBC has seen 15% cut from its sporting budget - with football coverage under serious threat.

After the Show was not shown on Boxing Day angry supporters vented their frustration on Twitter, prompting the programme's presenter Manish Bhashin to respond, saying: “I understand your frustration” after the show was not beamed on Boxing Day.

He said it was a “budget decision” and when asked about the show’s future he Tweeted: “It’s on til May and who knows maybe even longer....but...”

The BBC confirmed the Football League Show, which shows every goal from England’s league clubs on Saturday nights, will not return to screens until mid January.

Hopefully for fans of the lower league someone else will pick up the mantle otherwise they're all going to have to fork out for Sky. Proper wank how they just binned it without warning like.

I'd imagine the BBC will be spunking pretty much all it's budget to employ 531435431 people for the Olympics next year.

Beter ways to save money would include...binning people like Hanson, Shearer and the hoardes of other shite pundits on no doubt ridicu-contracts & fucking off half the shit on the website like the blogs which are predominately shite.

Motd and Wimbledon will be all that's left. Do we not get a say in the BBC turning into a pay version of ITV? I'm interested in sport not dancing or soaps.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

motd and the fls goes they'll lose a lot of viewers which obviosly wont help. I know i wouldnt go near bbc anymore after that.

Match of the day is one of them shows that ive watched since I was a kid, regardless of our score. It would be a disaster for the bbc if they binned it, it would lose about an average of 7 million viewers a week.

Should move to a smaller venue for starters, the FLS studio is like Narnia, must get hell of an electric bill.

It REALLY is :lol:

All they need is a desk that can sit 3 or 4 people on it. No-one gives a shit about that bit anyway.

Guest bimpy474

Bet the Mail etc will have a good whinge about this, even though it is the cuts to the BBC which they have championed for years which has forced this situation.

Feck the BBC they get plenty of money, they pay the top dog £800,000 pound a year, fecking mental, they have been swimming in OUR money, and unlike SKY or Virgin i have to pay the licence fee or i go to prison, feck em, full of lefty feckers.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It could be so much better.

Better time slot (even if on a Sunday) would help.

Better presenters.

Actually allow the random woman locked in the fax machine room more to do.

It could be so much better.

Better time slot (even if on a Sunday) would help.

Better presenters.

Actually allow the random woman locked in the fax machine room more to do.

She was fired from TFLS at the start of the season. If she's still locked in there somebody has problems.

They should do what ITV used to do with a weekly regional show on a Sunday, then put all regional shows on Iplayer for those fans not in region.

Wouldn't producing like 15/20 small shows cost more than producing one big show? :lol:

Should move to a smaller venue for starters, the FLS studio is like Narnia, must get hell of an electric bill.

Pretty poor form, especially with what Hansen and co. are reported to be on money wise.

It has a Mezzane (sp?) level ffs

They should do what ITV used to do with a weekly regional show on a Sunday, then put all regional shows on Iplayer for those fans not in region.

Wouldn't producing like 15/20 small shows cost more than producing one big show? :lol:

I think they do something similar already BBC Late Kick Off

I simply want an hour or so long programme showing us all the action from the weekend..... enough of this bullshit of pundits and crap. Life is too bloody short to sit down and listen to the likes of Lineker, Shearer, Lawrenson and co.

Incidentally, I like how ESPN show the football on their channels. For example, their Serie A coverage, they tend to show 3 to 5 live games per week, and then, about a couple of days later, they show a programme that shows all of the goals from the weekend's action in a quick 15 minutes round up.

I want to see the EPL's coverage to take a similar step. Shows 3-5 over the weekend with an added programme showing highlights, preferably no longer than an hour. (But on the same day)

Over here we have the premier league review show. Barely any analysis, just a review of all the games from the weekend. Commentary is done by whoever commented on the game and the last game they show is usually the most exciting one. First two games are always from whoever is top and second. Its a really good and simple show.

Guest Craig-NUFC

I simply want an hour or so long programme showing us all the action from the weekend..... enough of this bullshit of pundits and crap. Life is too bloody short to sit down and listen to the likes of Lineker, Shearer, Lawrenson and co.

Incidentally, I like how ESPN show the football on their channels. For example, their Serie A coverage, they tend to show 3 to 5 live games per week, and then, about a couple of days later, they show a programme that shows all of the goals from the weekend's action in a quick 15 minutes round up.

I want to see the EPL's coverage to take a similar step. Shows 3-5 over the weekend with an added programme showing highlights, preferably no longer than an hour. (But on the same day)

I personally find the non-British leagues to get much better coverage. They actually have commentators and pundits who know about football and have clearly done research for the game they're covering, plus they will have a debate instead of arguing over who has the biggest dick and don't have an hours buildup full of interviews with the cleaner.

All you need is a presenter, 2 people who know what they're talking about to be pundits, 2 commentators that have done some research and have a clear excitement for the game, 15 minutes discussion prior to the game and 15 minutes after.