NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I'm just sceptical that the stuff we would get if Carroll arrived would be any different from the periods of 'hoof ball' that Pardew has been slaughtered for in the past.

If your argument is that you don't care about style as long as it's effective, then that's different and fair enough.

Having an extra option is boring? It certainly wouldn't have been unattractive on Sunday when it's what we needed to negate the pressure in the first half.

Bit naive if you think it'd only be used as an 'extra option' imo. It'd be used all the time.

We're already lazy enough with our passing/crossing as it is.

I'm just sceptical that the stuff we would get if Carroll arrived would be any different from the periods of 'hoof ball' that Pardew has been slaughtered for in the past.

If your argument is that you don't care about style as long as it's effective, then that's different and fair enough.

I don't want Carroll back but it's more to do with the fact that he's been injured/rubbish for ages. I don't think we should go back.

I don't get why people are so ardently opposed to the long ball option if we had the players to facilitate it.

Because it's boring and unattractive perhaps?

don't even think it has to be, pardew's wasn't that exciting 'cause of the rigid shape he employed...you could still play direct football up to a big man like carroll and have the fullbacks and midfielders flooding forward to support him

sure it'd be a canny watch myself if they were drilled to do it

Remember all those boring days under bobby where we'd just aim at Shearers head. Awful times, hated the winning as well. Glad those days are long gone and carpet football is present throughout the squad.

I don't get why people are so ardently opposed to the long ball option if we had the players to facilitate it.

Because it's boring and unattractive perhaps?

don't even think it has to be, pardew's wasn't that exciting 'cause of the rigid shape he employed...you could still play direct football up to a big man like carroll and have the fullbacks and midfielders flooding forward to support him

sure it'd be a canny watch myself if they were drilled to do it

We have players who would work in either system, direct with Carroll or short, which would be great as we could adapt for different matches/scenarios.

Unfortunately, as it stands, Pardew is incapable of adapting the team and it's fully down to him. At Reading (f***ing Reading) we brought on 2 defensive mids and rocked the formation 3-4 times in attempt to close it up at 1-0. It was an utterly appalling, mind-boggling attempt to 'adapt the formation'. Then, when we go 2-1 down, he brings off Anita for Obertan and tries to attack again but after bringing off Cabaye and Marveaux we had no-one left to create. IIRC we ended with

Perch Bigi Jonas

Cisse Shola Obertan

It will always be one of the strangest managerial performances I've witnessed.

Anyway, I have no faith in Pardew having different implementations of the formation if Carroll came. It would be balls to Carroll with everyone else shoehorned around him.

The fact our comeback record is so bad is evidence enough that he has one plan and one plan only.

Carroll not much good at dropping deep? Not true.

Its definetely one of those 'big man' striker cliche's, for us he was everywhere linking up the play really well. Now, especially with the fact he's playing under Allardyce, people forget he showed in his time here theres more to him than just standing upfront waiting to flick the ball on with his head.

:thup: Tbh i think Carroll and Cisse can work and one thing that makes the Ba and Cisse not even close to being comparable is at least Carroll can hold the ball up.

I just worry with how Pardew will use them and the rest of the team for that matter, but i do think he's coming back so it looks like we will find out.

Well we know that Cisse has to play in an advanced position, so basically we’d be buying Carroll and asking him to drop deep and/or wide. We can debate how good or bad he might be in that role, but that’s not playing to his strength and therefore it doesn’t make sense.

Relying on long balls and one striker getting hold of another one’s flick-ons as your basic strategy won’t get us anywhere. It’s good to have the option when certain situations arise, but it’s not the route to success. That’s aside from the issue of whether Cisse is the right man for that kind of style (and I don’t think he is)

Remember all those boring days under bobby where we'd just aim at Shearers head. Awful times, hated the winning as well. Glad those days are long gone and carpet football is present throughout the squad.

Nice one.

If Carroll comes at the right price, I'd sign him. At least we might be decent at attacking corners again.

I agree he hasn't been worth the money at Liverpool, but I think he would be decent with us. The motivation of the black and white shirt does have a bearing in this case.

I don't remember that no, probably because it didn't happen.

Before you respond with something like "so we didn't ever hit it long for Shearer?", I'm saying we didn't just do that, we mixed it up at times but its complete bollocks to claim that we "just aimed it at Shearers head" under Robson.

:lol:

One thing's for sure if we bring Carroll back, we need to get a couple of wingers in too. The only existing width we have in Debuchy and Haidara will not bring out the effectiveness for employing Carroll in the system.

Before you respond with something like "so we didn't ever hit it long for Shearer?", I'm saying we didn't just do that, we mixed it up at times but its complete bollocks to claim that we "just aimed it at Shearers head" under Robson.

I honestly don't know how I could have made my post more sarcastic. Dear me.

Cisse on the wing, man. :lol:

Really does take some beating.

It's a heinous crime that like, indefensible.

You'll defend it, next year probably.

Grow up man.

You say it's indefensible yet all you've done all season is defend the man who made that decision, you are incredible and not in a good way.

Grow up man.

You say it's indefensible yet all you've done all season is defend the man who made that decision, you are incredible and not in a good way.

:jesuswept:

I don't why you're picking a fight on this point, as it's something I've consistently said is wrong. You seem to struggle to understand any position that isn't either 'defend on everything' or 'hate with a passion'.

Grow up man.

I don't why you're picking a fight on this point, as it's something I've consistently said is wrong. You seem to struggle to understand any position that isn't either 'defend on everything' or 'hate with a passion'.

You've defended everything else about him, and say he should be here next season, can't bother you that much starting Cisse on the wing, you are happy to see another year of decisions like this after all.

Grow up man.

You've defended everything else about him, and say he should be here next season, can't bother you that much starting Cisse on the wing, you are happy to see another year of decisions like this after all.

As I said, you can't seem to understand my position. You're just making yourself look an idiot here.

Grow up man.

As I said, you can't seem to understand my position. You're just making yourself look an idiot here.

From the biggest joke on the forum that's quite cutting.