NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

You're looking on a massive over-reliance on Ben Arfa to create the chances, as barely anyone else does in that team. The other players should chip in with more goals, but that'll only start happening when they dare to take a fucking shot.

Anyway despite that shite on the last page, I'm determined not to get too down about it this year. It is what it is, I'm a mug for continuing to fund these charlatans. :lol:

Re: NUFC transfer rumours in the press........any?      :dontknow:

We're 'monitoring' Gervinho and waiting for Douglas to sack us off when he gets from holiday. Stirs the groins does it not.

Exactly - if the club say they brought the spending forward in Jan the season just gone then they're admitting their own shortcomings.

Will be astonishingly bad if the club repeats what they did last summer.

“When you look back, and we always do, Mike and I always look at where we are as a business – but did we make a mistake in the summer? I think we did.”

Llambias, admitting his own shortcomings, 7 Feb 2013.

Admittance is one thing, learning form the mistakes is quite another. Bear in mind that players will probably leave aswell, and it's open to debate if they'll get replaced, at least in time.

The side is crying out for some width and more creativity - plus the obvious one that is goals. Apart from Cisse it's no where near good enough. 

If players leave then it's a completely different kettle of fish and I'd hope that money is reinvested in a big way. I'm not going to worry about that until it happens though.

Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that our poor performance this season was due to a lack of investment in the summer. We could've done with more bodies but the side that finished 16th last season was more or less the same one that finished 5th the year before. The fault lies with the you know who for that.

If we sign a striker and a centre back, taking into consideration the business we did in January, I'll be happy. We've got the quality to finish comfortably in the top 8 and I don't see depth being a huge issue other than in one or two areas (providing we keep the likes of Perch, Willo and yes, even Shola).

The depressing thing is thinking about what we're aiming for. We patently don't want to win a cup or qualify for the EL again, so where does that leave us? We were fortunate last season that Chelsea and Liverpool in particular had ridiculously bad, controversy-ridden seasons; this season Liverpool improved by 9pts and +21GD; Chelsea improved by 11pts and +17GD. Liverpool have had the player of the year and yet arguably play better without him and look likely to make a fortune on moving him on. Chelsea have brought Mourinho back and will presumably back him with silly money.

This year you've got to think Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will be top three in any order and Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton will make up the rest of the 'good sides' - at least three of which are miles ahead of us in terms of squad strength, spending and pulling power. We're constantly told that we can't compete with the sovereign states, but in reality we're struggling to keep up with the chasing pack too. The Champions League spots look totally out of question now. And it's been purely out of choice IMO - failing to invest properly last summer has totally wasted that unexpected 5th place and keeping Pardew is akin to admitting defeat going forward in favour of saving further money.

I'm looking forward to next season already, but the stark truth is that we're now trying to finish ahead of the likes of West Ham and Swansea City. That's it.

:thup:

That said, it's nothing new isn't it. Ashley's tenure has been nothing but a gradual lowering of expectations and a series of blunders and penny pinching.

Aye it's not fully to blame. But they're running the risk of a repeat imo if they do not bring a few in this summer.

It's all about quality over quantity for me. We don't need half a dozen bodies, we just need a couple of class players in the right position.

Without doubt, but of concern is that our lowly league position going into Jan last season was what triggered the spending.

Quite conceivable that we'll just drift through the next transfer window with the same attitude we did last summer. 

There is going to be a story from Mark Douglas on the player that shares his surname in The Journal tomorrow so it looks like this might be the first real link of the summer.

How many transfer windows on the trot have you been linked with this guy already? I recall his name coming up in 2011.

There is going to be a story from Mark Douglas on the player that shares his surname in The Journal tomorrow so it looks like this might be the first real link of the summer.

How many transfer windows on the trot have you been linked with this guy already? I recall his name coming up in 2011.

We really want Redknapp to sign this guy.

Going to be like last summer I feel.  They think they've done their spend in jan even though that was making up for the lack of spend in the summer.  Can feel history repeating itself.  They'll give it the big 'am happy cause no one left'

The depressing thing is thinking about what we're aiming for. We patently don't want to win a cup or qualify for the EL again, so where does that leave us? We were fortunate last season that Chelsea and Liverpool in particular had ridiculously bad, controversy-ridden seasons; this season Liverpool improved by 9pts and +21GD; Chelsea improved by 11pts and +17GD. Liverpool have had the player of the year and yet arguably play better without him and look likely to make a fortune on moving him on. Chelsea have brought Mourinho back and will presumably back him with silly money.

This year you've got to think Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will be top three in any order and Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton will make up the rest of the 'good sides' - at least three of which are miles ahead of us in terms of squad strength, spending and pulling power. We're constantly told that we can't compete with the sovereign states, but in reality we're struggling to keep up with the chasing pack too. The Champions League spots look totally out of question now. And it's been purely out of choice IMO - failing to invest properly last summer has totally wasted that unexpected 5th place and keeping Pardew is akin to admitting defeat going forward in favour of saving further money.

I'm looking forward to next season already, but the stark truth is that we're now trying to finish ahead of the likes of West Ham and Swansea City. That's it.

:thup:

That said, it's nothing new isn't it. Ashley's tenure has been nothing but a gradual lowering of expectations and a series of blunders and penny pinching.

It's not Ashely's tenure, either. It was around the same time that Abramovich/Mourinho entered Chelsea, Rafa enter Liverpool and Robson was replaced with Souness. We made our mistakes at a crucial time. Since that point the competitive clubs have been Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester United, and Liverpool, with Man City joining them when they became the world's richest clubs. Everton have stayed in and around the top half without actually achieving anything of note. Clubs like ourselves and Villa have mounted decent challenges through either unsustainable spending or shrewd transfer moves, but it hasn't lasted. Those seven clubs have been the most successful for almost a decade now and are set up to dominate for the near future. We have to do something drastic to alter the hierarchy.

One thing I will say is that this "Liverpool better without Suarez" talk is nonsense. They beat a team that had already been relegated in last place, a team that had capitulated and maybe deserved relegation, and a Fulham team that weren't mathematically safe until Wigan lost to Arsenal. Is this meant to impress me? The idea seems to mostly stem from the 0-6 against us, but we all watched the match and it didn't finish that way because Daniel Sturridge saw more of the ball.

Douglas's surname is Teixeira.

Shepherd and Hall can be accused of many things, but a lack of ambition is not one of them tbh baba...

Of course, they deserve praise for bringing us success in the 90's and early part of last decade. I just wonder what you think would have changed after 2006-2007 if Shepard was in charge. Go back to that time, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United look unassailable, these are the days of the "big four". One season passes before Manchester City are the richest club in the world. Allardyce was Shepard's appointment, and he was backed and given control over our transfers in that first window. We saw how things progressed that season. What would change? We might have spent more and a competent/experienced owner and board probably would have avoided relegation, but we were still stretching ourselves financially to pay for inferior players at a time when the competition in the league was fiercening to unforeseen levels.

Douglas on a free would be an excellent piece of business. Just what we need.

I'd argue we wouldn't need any other defenders if Colo stays (massive question of course), given the versatility of Santon and Yanga-Mbiwa, and the ability to recall the likes of Ferguson and Tavernier from the loans they ought to be on if the club has any sense.

Douglas on a free would be an excellent piece of business. Just what we need.

I'd argue we wouldn't need any other defenders if Colo stays (massive question of course), given the versatility of Santon and Yanga-Mbiwa, and the ability to recall the likes of Ferguson and Tavernier from the loans they ought to be on if the club has any sense.

Definitely, would be a great move and we could concentrate any money we have on forwards.