NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Never been that impressed watching Payet life, but that's only happened a handful of times. Wonder why Lille are willing to sell after only two seasons? Either way, would take any tricky winger at this point.

Got nee cash like everyone else in France bar the 2 sovereign states.

If Cabaye were to leave, would Martin be a suitable replacement?

Nah.

Has Rudi Garcia gone to Roma as well or was that just a rumour?

Its not quite done yet but it seems to be happening, La Voix du Nord have reported that it should be all sorted soon.

And if you recall they broke the Debuchy and Cabaye transfers, seem to be quite well connected with all the happenings at Lille.

Shepherd and Hall can be accused of many things, but a lack of ambition is not one of them tbh baba...

Of course, they deserve praise for bringing us success in the 90's and early part of last decade. I just wonder what you think would have changed after 2006-2007 if Shepard was in charge. Go back to that time, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester United look unassailable, these are the days of the "big four". One season passes before Manchester City are the richest club in the world. Allardyce was Shepard's appointment, and he was backed and given control over our transfers in that first window. We saw how things progressed that season. What would change? We might have spent more and a competent/experienced owner and board probably would have avoided relegation, but we were still stretching ourselves financially to pay for inferior players at a time when the competition in the league was fiercening to unforeseen levels.

I'm pleased we don't have to worry about that tbh. I don't think it would have been good anyway. People have a go at Ashley for not looking at the books properly when he bought the club, but it probably did us a favour because I doubt things would have improved at all. The last year of Shepherd our transfer dealings were Martins (a panic buy imo because of the Owen injury), Duff (who Shepherd admitted he bought due to the price), Sibierski, Rossi, Bernard, Onyewu....looked like the money had began to dry up big time.

Its not quite done yet but it seems to be happening, La Voix du Nord have reported that it should be all sorted soon.

And if you recall they broke the Debuchy and Cabaye transfers, seem to be quite well connected with all the happenings at Lille.

I thought Laurent Blanc was getting the job there?

I thought Laurent Blanc was getting the job there?

Was choice of their director Franco Baldini, who has since been sacked. Rumours that he's going to Spurs to work with AVB as director of football.

Centre back looks a weak area, despite the fact that we've got four. We need a strong, imposing, forceful kind of defender. I don't know Douglas, but if he's that kind of player then he'd be a good signing.

Colo and Mapou I wouldn't see as a partnership - rather competing for the same place. Mapou I think will need time to adjust to the English game, but of course it couldn't have helped that he joined the club when the team was playing without much confidence.

Williamson is much better than most people give him credit for, but he isn't a good enough athlete for where we'd like to head. Taylor has the physical attributes but doesn't have the confidence to really impose himself on the game. On balance, I don't think there's much to choose between them.

Assuming Douglas is a kind of Samba-type, he and Mapou could end up as a really good pairing.

I'm finding it pretty hard to find good compilations of Douglas, but search for "douglas psv twe" in everybody's favourite video channel and you get an idea of what he's like (3 minutes or so taken from one match away vs PSV Eindhoven).

I guess the one called "DOUGLAS TEIXEIRA" isn't bad either, but the video quality is horrible and it's from 2009.

Aye true. Let's just stick with another 10 starts and 15 sub apps for Shola next season instead. Much better.

Do you think he would want to leave the Villa bench to come to the Newcastle bench?

And please don't suggest that he and Cisse are to be regular partners upfront.