NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastles-leon-best-set-for-2m-904448

Blackburn are making a £2million bid for Newcastle striker Leon Best – to replace ­China-bound Yakubu.

A fee has already been agreed, and manager Steve Kean is hoping to persuade the Republic of Ireland to join Rovers as they rebuild following relegation to the Championship.

The lure of regular first-team football - Best played rarely last season as Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse fired the Geordies into the Europa League - and a lucrative contract could sweeten the drop down to the second tier.

be demanding 3.5m at least tbh. Be upset if we let him go for less, looks premiership quality and his games/goals ratio cant be too bad either.

Best is entering the last year of his contract with NUFC. I can understand selling him while we can still get a fee for him. I doubt we'd offer him a new contract. I hope we have an upgrade lined up (De Jong?) if we are selling him.

if in his last year....then we have to sell. 2 mill....think we paid less for him anyway.

i would like him to stay as 4th choice....he seems to be happy with his role....especially with european football he would get his share of matches...even with competition from shola

Best is entering the last year of his contract with NUFC. I can understand selling him while we can still get a fee for him. I doubt we'd offer him a new contract. I hope we have an upgrade lined up (De Jong?) if we are selling him.

if in his last year....then we have to sell. 2 mill....think we paid less for him anyway.

i would like him to stay as 4th choice....he seems to be happy with his role....especially with european football he would get his share of matches...even with competition from shola

I'm not sure he is that happy with it but just not one to whinge in public and maybe understands why other strikers are ahead of him, I'll give him credit that he's not willing to just sit on the bench and collect wages if he want's to leave, in his situation don't blame him at all.

Guest Tyson

Can envision Best having a career (at least at club level) that's on par with Jason Roberts. They're both similar: limited in terms of technical ability, but they both have the physical attributes needed to just about guarantee a prominent starting role at a low-table club, or even a yo-yo club. basically a club which doesn't have the sort of finances required to build a strong pecking order, particularly the forward options which is most costly (unless the academy is influential).

Could be a consistent 10-15 goal striker at a Blackburn etc.

I'm not sure he is that happy with it but just not one to whinge in public and maybe understands why other strikers are ahead of him, I'll give him credit that he's not willing to just sit on the bench and collect wages if he want's to leave, in his situation don't blame him at all.

happy might be to much, but professional then.

Seems canny cheap and surely Celtic would be a better option for him

The Championship is a much better league. Scottish titles are worthless at the end of the day and so is playing in 2 European games before you're knocked out.

Seen Best skin defenders with some brillliant turns and touches that he has either scored from or set up another chance or goal.

Will miss him greatly if he goes. Issue with him is his fitness levels - he seems to get a massive knock every damn season.

Guest Brazilianbob

But with £2m we can increase our de jong bid to £10m which if paid up front should be enoughfor fc twente who wanted £15m