Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

I saw him in Aspers last night and he seemed in a proper strop with his hood up, not smiley like he normally is . We asked the Aspers security guy if that was Papiss Cisse and he said it was and he's asked not to be bothered tonight. Definitely something up  :hmm:

I saw him in Aspers last night and he seemed in a proper strop with his hood up, not smiley like he normally is . We asked the Aspers security guy if that was Papiss Cisse and he said it was and he's asked not to be bothered tonight. Definitely something up  :hmm:

You've been sitting on that all day?

Part of our transfer policy has been reliant on obtaining good players who have lost their way. HBA and Santon instantly spring to mind.

Interesting to see if the tables are turned (Re: Cisse) during the January window, if the the dramatic loss-in-form continues. Past achievements (in pass & move football) carry weight in the market. If Cisse's confidence is shot come January, a minor profit for us might get a deal over the line.

Lethal striker (owned the top shooting efficiency stats in Germany, in his break-out year at Freiburg - so the back-end of last season wasn't a fluke) being criminally misused this season.

Misused is part of the problem but Cisse himself needs to get his act together as he's been pretty much shire every time he's been on the pitch this year.

It's tiresome to continually see crappy individual performances palmed off and blamed on others. The players themselves need to ask "have I played as well as I can this season?" The only ones who can genuinely say yes would be Krul, Colo, Santon, HBA and maybe Demba. The teams carrying far too many passengers at the minutes.

The Journal -

TWO tunnel tales spaced six months apart tell the story of Papiss Cisse’s Newcastle United career.

Back in May, his emergence from the Magpies dressing room after a close-run defeat at the hands of eventual champions Manchester City was enough to alert the lurking Patrick Vieira.

Cisse was wearing his trademark mile-wide smile and it was merited as Vieira – the Citizens’ influential Football Development Executive – made a beeline for the Newcastle man before chatting animatedly in French about his brilliant start to life in the Premier League.

Vieira’s obvious interest in the Senegal man was enough to raise eyebrows among United’s power brokers, where City’s interest in Cisse had long been acknowledged.

Fast-forward half a year and Cisse cut a disconsolate figure in the same tunnel on Sunday. Hauled off at half-time following an anonymous display against a pedestrian West Ham defence, the striker was showered and changed in time for the start of the second half but at first resisted the call of the substitute’s bench.

This was not a Carlos Tevez-style show of petulance or evidence of a resistance to be part of the Newcastle group, though. Cisse watched the start of the second half from the tunnel apparently deep in thought about another afternoon that had passed him by. For a player whose career has rarely seen such a bad run, these are difficult days.

The problem that United anticipated over the summer was keeping hold of Cisse as the cream of European clubs circled around their five-star discovery. The reality is that they are now desperately searching for a way to re-ignite the burning belief that carried him to his remarkable start in black and white.

The beauty of Cisse when he first joined Newcastle was that he made the impossible look simple. There has never been an introduction to the Premier League as explosive as his: a run of 13 goals scored from every conceivable angle and with every body part imaginable.

As his reputation grew, no one appeared quite sure how to categorise this Senegalese phenomenon. To put a black and white spin on it, he was a mesh of Andy Cole’s predatory instincts and the touch of outlandish magic that made Faustino Asprilla such a joy to watch.

When Cisse met The Journal back in October, the striker was asked the process that went through his mind when he scored his implausible goal at Stamford Bridge in April. Was it that he dared to do things that his striker colleagues didn’t?

Cisse chuckled bashfully when the query was translated to him but his answer sheds light on the player’s thought process.

“I do not imagine things any differently from anyone else but when the ball arrives to me, if it arrives messily or at a different angle I will try to make it beautiful,” he said.

“No matter how messy the pass or how the ball arrives, I want to make it beautiful. In my head I am thinking about the angle – it is an instant thing that does not require me to think. I just see how to put the ball in the back of the net without worrying.

“I am not on a mission to score more goals like the Chelsea goal, although that was a special moment. I get as much joy from scoring from five yards as I do from 40 yards.

“I am an attacker like anybody else. I love to tap goals over the line from five yards – it is not about the spectacular for me, it is about scoring in any way.”

It is an interesting insight, and if you pick at it, you can see where his problem now lies. Somehow, via form, confidence or low mood, those instincts have been dulled slightly.

If you watch a slowed down replay of one particular chance against West Ham on Sunday it was instructive. A ball is worked into Cisse’s path and he hits it first time – but slices his shot hopelessly wide to groans from the Leazes End.

When your game is about instinct, you rely on the tiniest fractions to make your game sizzle. Cisse’s confidence has dropped and that means that rather than instantly thinking about the angle he is now hesitating for a split second. It makes him looks all-too-human.

Tactical tinkering has played its part, for United have tweaked the system that incorporated Cisse so seamlessly last season.

Cisse was effectively playing as a lone front man during those salad days in late spring, with Demba Ba pushed to the left and Hatem Ben Arfa on the right of a front three that had Cisse in a more advanced attacking position.

Now Newcastle are, more often than not, operating with an orthodox front two. But it is about more than just plonking certain personnel in certain positions; it has prompted a change in the way United play too.

It is widely acknowledged that Cisse is at his most dangerous when balls are played into the channels for him to chase. His instincts and pace – allied to a technique which sees him play ‘off-the-cuff’ – make him a dynamite lone front man.

This season, Newcastle are playing more through the middle. They are relying on precise passes – both long and short – to feed their strikers, and this is more Ba’s game.

There is a black and white school of thought that suggests Newcastle should revert back to 4-3-3, but not necessarily one that meets with enthusiasm from this correspondent. After all, Cisse is a £10million striker and should be able to adapt to a different style of play.

So what is the answer?

Thanks to the parsimony over the summer, Newcastle do not really have the option of ‘resting’ him. With Leon Best and Peter Lovenkrands having been sold – and no striker added to the squad – they must continue with the Senegal striker for the foreseeable future.

It is what most would have suggested anyway. His hit-rate currently reads 49 goals in 76 first-team starts in England and Germany, and that is the record of a striker who will not stay cold for too much longer.

There is also one final note of hope. The day after Cisse ‘scored’ his fortuitous first goal of the season, he could be seen on the Benton training ground practising his finishing from left, right and centre.

The work ethic and drive that so impressed the coaching staff has not deserted Cisse; and as long as that is the case there must be confidence in his ability to reverse this miserable run

I don't see the problem being with Cisse, but the problem being with the system we're playing. In fact I think it explains our troubles this season full stop. We're very static and we're playing 442 without any genuine wingers, much of the play is taking place in-field and consequently everything is getting very squeezed in the middle. This hampers players like Cabaye and HBA, who are struggling to find gaps through which to thread their passes, so we're reverting to this fucking hideous "lump it long, try and win the second ball and hope to God if you do you find yourself in a position to start an attack" style of football. Teams know they can pack the middle as all of our wide men (Fergie aside, but he's barely featured) will cut in rather than get to the byline to put a cross in.

This style of play means our strikers aren't getting the chances they are last season but worse for Papiss is that unlike Ba and Shola he isn't a player who takes well to having the ball belted at his head by Mike Williamson/Danny Simpson/Tim Krul. How many decent chances has he had this season? You could probably count them on one hand.

The only ones who can genuinely say yes would be Krul, Colo, Santon, HBA and maybe Demba. The teams carrying far too many passengers at the minutes.

I don't find it a coincidence that the majority are defenders and i don't find a coincidence either that Demba is the only forward who has performed when he's the only one who fits this style of play and system.

We simply are not playing to his strengths and are not providing enough opportunities. Yes he has missed a couple of howlers but if we actually look to play him in on the floor or over the top for him to run into (Rather than fire long balls for him to win headers) then we may see some improvements.

Really need to play Ferguson/Marveux/Sammy on the left with HBA on right if we are to persist with 4-4-2 and Cisse needs to be centre only. It's a pity Pards won't play Demba on left again as our movement was fantastic last season in that 4-3-3. I would be happy playing 4-3-3 with Fergie and HBA on either side of Cisse or Ba - Cabaye in attacking mid and Tiote and Anita as defensive - I reckon the balance would be just what's needed.

Pardew will probs continue to play the way we are though and things will go even more down hill.