Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

The service argument wears thin for me. We talk all day about modern, progressive teams looking to impose their game. Fullbacks  who are great going forward and defending. CB's that can play. Midfielders who can do a bit of everything. Wide men both creative and hardworking. But all we have is a striker dependent on service like it's 1988. Not service like getting the ball in the box, crosses, playing it to feet but eye of the needle through balls.

Today shows all he has to offer to the team is goals. Michael Owen. Jermain Defoe. Darren Bent. Is that good enough for the modern striker?

Lovely goal though.

In a team that is woefully short of goal scorers I'd say it's a pretty good quality to have.

He's a finisher no doubt. I've always said that. But I don't think his overall game is good enough. I don't think he can do enough for the team or for himself to sniff out goals.

You can't just knock it over the top for him to use his pace. You can't keep putting it in the air to utilise his aerial ability/movement. You can't just put it in the box and he'll find his foot to it. His volley game is brilliant but you can't just roll it into him from outside the box. Won't out muscle someone and poke it in.

You understand what i'm saying? He has such specific strengths that only a few of our players can utilise regularly.

The service argument wears thin for me. We talk all day about modern, progressive teams looking to impose their game. Fullbacks  who are great going forward and defending. CB's that can play. Midfielders who can do a bit of everything. Wide men both creative and hardworking. But all we have is a striker dependent on service like it's 1988. Not service like getting the ball in the box, crosses, playing it to feet but eye of the needle through balls.

Today shows all he has to offer to the team is goals. Michael Owen. Jermain Defoe. Darren Bent. Is that good enough for the modern striker?

Lovely goal though.

In a team that is woefully short of goal scorers I'd say it's a pretty good quality to have.

I agree. We don't have any other option. But going forward in the summer, he's looking like someone we should look to upgrade on perhaps. Part of our problems in general play is down to him being crap with the ball and not offering much to his team-mates. Some of his movement is bewildering, gets in the way of others too much.

But he must just focus on his game and goal-scoring.

Personally thought it was a tough game all round, especially for a player up front on his tod, having to deal with Stokes anti-football back four.

He might not have been good today but was any player on the pitch the good today?

He got the ball once at his feet in the box and tucked it away. 

Striker.

Played crap, didn't hold it up, wasted possession.

You see this is where people are missing the point. If a striker doesn't hold it up and wastes possession, how is the team going to consistently create chances for him? How are we going to get that far up the pitch a lot of the times?

Stoke defended extremely deep because it was injury time. They allowed us to play up until the edge of their area but that doesn't happen at 0-0 or for most of the match.

Modern strikers need to help the team get up the pitch.

You see this is where people are missing the point. If a striker doesn't hold it up and wastes possession, how is the team going to consistently create chances for him? How are we going to get that far up the pitch a lot of the times?

Stoke defended extremely deep because it was injury time. They allowed us to play up until the edge of their area but that doesn't happen at 0-0 or for most of the match.

Just stop posting man, please.

he's been shit the whole game but then again it was because he  was being asked to do what he's here to do, when it came down to it he did the one job he is supposed to do, which is to score, brilliantly. good movement and a comfortable finish.

75% pass completion rate which is very poor. Tbf to him, it doesn't help when the #10 Siss comes in at 69%.

It doesn't help when his movement is being coached out of him by a manager obsessed with players dropping back either.

Just stop posting man, please.

He's a finisher no doubt. I've always said that. But I don't think his overall game is good enough. I don't think he can do enough for the team or for himself to sniff out goals.

You can't just knock it over the top for him to use his pace. You can't keep putting it in the air to utilise his aerial ability/movement. You can't just put it in the box and he'll find his foot to it. His volley game is brilliant but you can't just roll it into him from outside the box. Won't out muscle someone and poke it in.

You understand what i'm saying? He has such specific strengths that only a few of our players can utilise regularly.

No

3 goals in his last 3 games against Stoke.

Could do what Messi can only dream off.

Yeah, the acid test really. Forget the most goals in a calendar year, most consecutive goals in games, etc. it's what you do against Stoke on a freezing night that matters.