Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Don't think it matters what we paid, and I'm pretty sure it's there or thereabouts as far as the figures that have been mentioned. What does matter is that we moved in quickly, and picked this fella up from under the noses of clubs more financially capable than we are. What matters most, potentially, is that we are building on top of what we already have, rather than simply trying to stay afloat.

And Freiburg’s director of sport, Dirk Dufner, said: “We knew that we were not going to be able to keep such an exceptional player like Papiss permanently.

“We are very grateful for the two years he has spent in our team, and how he has contributed to our successful seasons following promotion.

“The whole of Freiburg wishes him all of the best. We, like him, are delighted with the next step in his career.”

Meanwhile, Wrexham and Brighton and Hove Albion’s FA Cup third-round replay takes place tonight (7.15pm kick-off) after being put back 24 hours because of a frozen pitch at the Racecourse Ground.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ah they don't nearly look half as good now. I imagined they were Christmas socks.

I feel sorry for Sunderland fans. The fact they even thought their club would have any interest in Cisse is funny, an African striker from the German league? They must have forgotten who their new manager is.

The very best they could hope for is probably someone like Jelavic or Hooper (I like Hoopper by the way), but they should probably come to terms with the fact they will likely end up with Zamora, Heskey or Morrison / Holt from Norwich. Basicaly someone very predictable and least thought out.

Papiss Cisse on how he turned down big clubs for NUFC

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleJan 18 2012

PAPISS CISSE has revealed how he turned down "big interest" from other Premier League clubs to become Newcastle United's new No 9 - including the Magpies' arch-rivals Sunderland.

The 26-year-old’s arrival was being celebrated by the United faithful today after the capture of one of the Bundesliga’s most lethal goal machines.

However, in an exclusive one-on-one interview with the Chronicle, Cisse wanted to make it clear there was only one club for him once he knew his move to St James’ Park was back on.

In the days before Cisse’s move to United, the Senegal international had said: “I am flattered by Sunderland’s interest.”

However, in news which will deflate Black Cats fans, Cisse told the Chronicle today: “There were other clubs interested, but the moment Newcastle showed their full interest I was delighted to come – there was only one place for me.

“Now, I need to seize the opportunity and show everybody what I can do.

“The aim is to make the most of the opportunity that has been given to me.”

Cisse has always maintained he has had an interest in playing in the Premier League one day, but admits he is already desperate to pull on the No 9 shirt and get to work in the colours of Newcastle.

He went on: “This was the club I wanted to join.

“I am just so pleased the opportunity has come round for me and I am in the position to accept it.”

Cisse’s switch quickly made Newcastle the biggest spenders in the January transfer window so far and ends the long search for a new No 9.

It means the scenes of deep disappointment over Andy Carroll’s sale 12 months ago are a far cry from the news of Cisse which broke on Tyneside yesterday.

The player – who has scored nine goals in 17 Bundesliga games already this season – added: “I have been given the great confidence of being handed the No 9 shirt.

“I know this is incredibly important here.

“I will do my best to honour the shirt and respect it. I have heard of all of the great players to have worn this shirt including Alan Shearer.

“I just want to try to join them. I have already been told what the shirt means to the fans and I will be playing for them.

“This is just a great opportunity for me.

“Now I will just be counting down the days until I get the chance to wear it.”

1985: Born June 3 in Dakar, Senegal.

2003: Begins career with hometown club Douanes Dakar.

2004: Joins French side Metz.

2005: Moves to Cherbourg on loan for the season.

2006: Returns to Metz and helps them win the 2006/07 Ligue 2 title.

2008: January – Joins Ligue 2 side Chateauroux on loan until the end of the season.

July – Goes back to Metz, now back in Ligue 2, and scores 15 goals to finish joint second top scorer with 15 goals as the team secure fifth spot in the 2008/09 campaign.

2009: August – Scores two goals on senior international debut for Senegal against DR Congo.

December – Joins Freiburg for a reported £1.3million, having scored 35 goals in 95 league games for Metz.

2010: May – Finishes the season with six Bundesliga goals.

2011: May – Ends the season as the Bundesliga’s second top scorer behind Mario Gomez with 22 goals, eclipsing Tony Yeboah as the highest scoring African player in a single season in the Bundesliga.

2012: January 17 – Joins Newcastle on a five-and-a-half-year deal.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/18/papiss-cisse-on-how-he-turned-down-big-clubs-for-nufc-72703-30145557/3/#ixzz1joJ4R9Dg

Papiss Cisse vows to impress NUFC fans

PAPISS CISSE today told the Toon Army he was ready to grasp the Newcastle United No 9 shirt with both hands.

The Senegal international jetted into the club’s Benton base to meet his new boss Alan Pardew and club managing director Derek Llambias to complete what was a “whirlwind” transfer from Bundesliga side Freiburg.

In his first big interview, he told the Chronicle:

He cannot wait to link up with his predatory Senegal team-mate Demba Ba in a black-and-white shirt;

How he has dreamt about pulling on the No 9 shirt;

Why he turned down other Premier League interest to sign for the Magpies;

How he plans to help fire the side into European contention with his goals;

Why he was impressed by Pardew’s plans for the club after just a short meeting.

Cisse has bagged 37 goals in Germany’s top flight in just 65 games, but admits he is ready to take the Premier League by storm.

Cisse now becomes the first player to take the No 9 shirt since Andy Carroll’s departure 12 months ago and will be only the sixth striker to wear the iconic shirt in Premier League history at St James’ Park after Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand, Alan Shearer, Oba Martins and Carroll.

In an exclusive interview, Cisse told the Chronicle: “I have been given the great confidence of being handed the No 9 shirt.

“I know this is incredibly important here. Already I know just how important the shirt is to this club but I am looking forward to the challenge of wearing it.

“I am also looking forward to playing in front of a full stadium in one of the best leagues in the world.”

Goals have followed Cisse throughout his career with an impressive record of 35 goals in 95 games for Metz, 11 in 26 for Cherbourg and four in 11 appearances at Chateauroux during loan spells with the French sides.

Now, though, Cisse is ready for Premier League action, and he said: “My history of goalscoring in Germany is good.

“However, I want to come here to Newcastle and score even more goals.

“I want to be part of the big football nights here at St James’ Park and I want to show what I can do.

“I am an ambitious footballer, and I want to continue my goalscoring record here.”

Cisse came close to joining United last August, but a deal could not be agreed between Freiburg and the Magpies.

However, his arrival vastly improves Newcastle’s squad with Demba Ba already netting 15 goals in a Toon shirt so far this season and ready to forge what could be a deadly partnership with the 26-year-old Cisse.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/18/papiss-cisse-vows-to-impress-nufc-fans-72703-30145506/#ixzz1joJesLXO

Papiss Cisse talks about 'whirlwind' move

PAPISS CISSE has revealed the "lightning pace" of his sensational move to Newcastle United from Bundesliga side Freiburg.

The African was determined to make the move to St James’ Park, and travelled through the night in order to make it happen and become the Toon’s new No 9.

Cisse had been preparing with Senegal ahead of the African Cup of Nations in Dakhar when he was made aware of the approach by United.

The Chronicle first reported that Cisse was on United’s wishlist last August and, while a deal could not be struck back then, both the 26-year-old and Newcastle did not give up hope of resurrecting the deal.

Cisse said today: “It’s been very quick.

“An agreement was only finalised between the two clubs at 8pm last night and then I headed to Newcastle.

“I was told to be at the airport at 10pm so I had little opportunity to do much.”

The arrival of Cologne hitman Sebastian Fries at Freiburg signalled Cisse’s exit, but both United and Cisse were keen to get the deal wrapped up before the African Cup of Nations’ big kick-off this Saturday.

However, while Cisse was heading for Equatorial Guinea today with the Lions of Teranga, the player could be excused for taking a lie-down to get his head around the last day or so.

Cisse first learned of the move to Newcastle just after 8pm on Monday night, but was given just a couple of hours to prepare for a flight from Dakhar to Paris before arriving on Tyneside via a private jet in the early hours of yesterday morning.

He then made his way to the club’s Benton base where he completed the formalities of the move, met Alan Pardew and Derek Llambias before agreeing to be United’s No 9.

And no sooner had Cisse held a Press conference for a handful of media, the player was whisked back to Paris via private jet before catching a connection to Dakhar, where he will link up with his international team-mates.

Cisse will now face games in Group A against Equatorial Guinea, Zambia and Libya.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/18/papiss-cisse-talks-about-whirlwind-move-72703-30145505/2/#ixzz1joK1zlEy

Cisse can't wait to link up with Demba Ba

PAPISS CISSE today sent out a chilling warning to the rest of the Premier League: "Demba Ba and I are gunning for you."

The Senegal international will get plenty of time to demonstrate his telepathy with Ba in the next three weeks at the African Cup of Nations.

While Newcastle fans will have to wait to see the deadly duo in action together, absence is sure to make Geordie hearts grow fonder.

Cisse and Ba’s possible partnership has all the potential to be one of the most feared strike double acts since Alan Shearer and Les Ferdinand back in the 1996/97 season, when they simply could not stop scoring.

Cisse was preparing for shooting practice with Ba at Senegal’s Equitorial Guinea base, but in his only big newspaper interview Cisse told the Chronicle: “It is going to be a great honour to play with him, he is a simply fantastic player.

“I think we are going to make a formidable partnership. This is a partnership we hope will get the fans excited, I am certainly looking forward to it starting.”

Like Ba, Cisse has demonstrated his lethal finishing in the Bundesliga.

Ba proved to be one of the hotshots in Germany by grabbing 37 goals in 97 games.

Cisse has pitched in with 37 in 65 for Freiburg.

However, he admits he has been blown away by the contributions of Ba.

Cisse said: “I have to congratulate Demba Ba for such a fantastic season.

“That is not just me but all the people in Senegal and his international team-mates, but I would like to pass on that message for him.

“He has had a brilliant season and it can only get better.”

Cisse woke up today still having to pinch himself after landing his dream move to the Premier League.

He added: “I am delighted to be here. It has been a long time coming.

“I have dreamed about signing for Newcastle for a long time too, I am delighted to be a United player.”

First, though, he admitted he must take care of business with Senegal in Group A of the African Cup of Nations.

He said: “I now have to prepare for the African Cup of Nations. While I am doing that I will always have in my head the desire to play for Newcastle United. I will be thinking of that while I am away with Senegal.”

Cisse and Ba’s earliest possible return is January 29 if they were bundled out in he group stages.

However, with Senegal in with a shout of progressing to the February 12 final, the FA Cup fifth round could be the pair’s first match if United get past Brighton or Wrexham.

Failing that, it would be Newcastle’s home game with Wolves on February 25 when a player would don the No 9 shirt for the first time since Andy Carroll did in last season’s 3-1 loss to Man City.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/18/cisse-can-t-wait-to-link-up-with-demba-ba-72703-30145556/2/#ixzz1joKkSg2G