sunderland

JH

To be honest I hate the potato faced t*** for a million reasons. His decision not to wear a poppy however isn't one of them.

I find the current poppy fascism a bit bemusing to be honest. If you truly believe that the guys you're remembering tomorrow did lay down their lives for freedom, then surely you can't take issue with someone who exercises that right?

Just to add I'm a currently serving Airman, I don't think there should be any pressure put on people to wear a poppy if they don't wish to do so.

That's exactly how I see it. I'll wear one, but I don't think there's any need on either side of the argument to try and influence others.

For fuck's sake, IT'S GANDHI.

I'm quite shocked at the vitriol being directed towards McClean. So he chose not to wear a poppy, so what? He's thick as fuck and can barely string a sentence together, but he's hardly "scum". Maybe it's just that I'm also from Derry and can completely understand his reasons, but apparently we're all fenian bastard IRA supporters who want to shit on the graves of proud soldiers who laid down their lives for freedom.  :dontknow:

And people quoting a Daily Mail article and agreeing with anything that piece of shit puts out :lol:.

I'm finding it hard to enjoy sunderland's plight, as we hardly look much better at the minute.  We really should be with the players we have, but the style of play and tactics aren't much better and certainly aren't any more pleasing on the eye.

The "army" which James McLean and to some extent Martin O'Neill support, but will not have the balls to say so in as many words

Is this the same Martin O'Neill that wore a poppy on his tracksuit, and gladly accepted an OBE back in 2003? Do you not think it's a bit of a leap accusing him of supporting the IRA? :lol: 

The only real issue is that McClean probably isn't educated enough to understand the decision he made

I can understand why he did it. I'm not saying i agree because i don't but growing up where he did, with his friends and family still living there etc he was obviously in a difficult position. I think we all need to grasp that not showing support for british troop and supporting the IRA are two completely different matters. And while some irishmen would fall into both camps most do not.

Can we get back to laughing about O'Neill not being the messiah they craved and leave this tedious fucking discussion behind?

:thup: Go wild in Chat re: poppies.

Feel ashamed they managed a plural amount of shots on target against us.

The "army" which James McLean and to some extent Martin O'Neill support, but will not have the balls to say so in as many words

Is this the same Martin O'Neill that wore a poppy on his tracksuit, and gladly accepted an OBE back in 2003? Do you not think it's a bit of a leap accusing him of supporting the IRA? :lol: 

Point taken, it wasn't meant to mean that as it would be quite ridiculous, and on reflection I've ammended that post.

However McLean's stand at the weekend consolidates things he has said and done previously, which could lead to assumptions being made about him. It may be wrong to make those assumptions but I do tend to think that through his ill judged actions he brings it upon himself.

Guest Geordiesned

My take on McClean not wearing a poppy and the freedom to make his choice argument: men and women didn't give up their lives in order to let him act like such a c***.

Erm, that's exactly what they did you clown. If you want to live in a country where the populace are compelled to wear and deify certain symbols, please go ahead and emigrate to an authoritarian state.

POST EDITED as can't be bothered with keyboard warriors.

Please can someone advise how this block list thingy works?

Not wearing a poppy doesn't mean you hate the British. I think it's totally understandable you don't want to particularly honour the military who did terrible things in your country only a generation ago. I imagine people in many countries of empire wouldn't. He's not disrespecting them, he's just not especially honouring them.

I didn't wear a poppy this year, it wasn't an affront to soldiers, I just didn't buy one. It's a joke that people should be obliged to honour a charity and witch hunted if they don't.

Point taken, and on reflection I've ammended that post.

However McLean's stand at the weekend consolidates things he has said and done previously, which could lead to assumptions being made about him. It may be wrong to make those assumptions but I do tend to think that through his ill judged actions he brings it upon himself.

Oh absolutely. I think it just consolidates the fact he's a prat. Which we all knew anyway due to his comments on what catholics should and shouldnt do.

Funny listening to the Radio Newc phone in, Marco still coming up with excuses and saying they are unlucky! Some mackems coming on and having a right go at him, and then he refuses to talk back because he doesnt like their anger!

Dont win on Sunday, and it will be ONE win in TWENTY!