sunderland

JH

Guest firetotheworks

Aston Villa are far bigger than Sunderland ffs. It's Sunderland who should be grateful to have O'Neill tbh.

Mackem at work trying to argue the point how Fraizer Campbell is a better player then Demba Ba.....after about 10 minutes of back and forth debating, he come's out with 'Well Steven Fletcher is better than Shola... and you dare try to argue otherwise'.  :facepalm:

There's not much in club size between the mackems and Villa tbh.

This, all bias aside it's ridiculous to say that Villa are a 'far bigger club' than Sunderland.

Champions and european cup winners since ive been watching football

Guest BooBoo

Aye CP but that was nigh on 30 years ago. History, of course, is not irrelevant but when you start digging you can make a case for Preston, Wolves and Huddersfield all being "big clubs". Taking a snap shot of the last twenty years, Villa and Sunderland are on a par, with us just ahead.

There's not much in club size between the mackems and Villa tbh.

This, all bias aside it's ridiculous to say that Villa are a 'far bigger club' than Sunderland.

Champions and european cup winners since ive been watching football

What has that got to do with anything?

Guest firetotheworks

Villa fill their ground for a start, they've been in the top six for a canny few years over the last 20 years. They've won the European Cup and the league as well. I don't think there's any debate to be had tbh.

Villa fill their ground for a start, they've been in the top six for a canny few years over the last 20 years. They've won the European Cup and the league as well. I don't think there's any debate to be had tbh.

:thup:

Aye CP but that was nigh on 30 years ago. History, of course, is not irrelevant but when you start digging you can make a case for Preston, Wolves and Huddersfield all being "big clubs". Taking a snap shot of the last twenty years, Villa and Sunderland are on a par, with us just ahead.

while I understand your point, not sure I can agree. Villa have been an ever present in the prem,and played in europe while Sunderland have been relegated about 3 or4 times.  so theres my case for the last 20 years. Going back to the 80s- champions and european cup winners vs a team that slipped into the 3rd division. Even in the early 70s before I can remember when Sunderland fluked the cup they were a poor second division side. They are a smaller club than Villa. IMO.

Sunderland can maybe claim to be the biggest of the clubs from the teams that dont play European football.

or at leat for 40 years.

Villa's overseas fan base seems far, far bigger than Sunderland's.. maybe even bigger than ours from my observations. The mackems are about as big as f***ing Bolton or Stoke in that sense -  A dull club that nobody gives a f*** about.

The way I see it:

'Big' clubs - ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool

Rich clubs - Man City, Chelsea

Biggish clubs - Spurs, Us, Everton, Villa

...with the rest of the stable PL clubs being much of a muchness.

In the past decade Villa have never been out the top flight and played in Europe a few times. Meanwhile Sunderland twice set the record for the PL's lowest points total and have achieved a best place finish of 10th (I think).

In the past decade Villa have never been out the top flight and played in Europe a few times. Meanwhile Sunderland twice set the record for the PL's lowest points total and have achieved a best place finish of 10th (I think).

Nobody is arguing that they aren't shite, they do have a good stadium, excellent facilities, a really good fanbase etc though.

Villa are a more prestigious club without doubt, but I cannot really see how they have a much bigger standing in the modern game than Sunderland, unless something radical happens they're both decent Premiership clubs, nothing more nothing less.