sunderland

JH

getting praise in the commentary during the game and on 5Live, all i saw was the same old shit with a couple of wasted chances thrown in.

We weren't even that good. Decent enough and deserved the win but we were very much there for the taking.

Exactly, you were really ordinary and they did they're usual Alamo act.

Guest bimpy474

Both McLean and O'Neill weren't wearing poppies.

odd

IRA thingy isn't it.....both supposed supporters or something along those lines.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

odd

IRA thingy isn't it.....both supposed supporters or something along those lines.

MON played for the north so doubt that.

O'Neill refused to criticise Celtic fans for sectarian chanting when he was their manager. He's got a history with this sort of thing.

To be fair I don't wear a poppy, but that's not because I'm an IRA sympathiser. I just don't care for the emotional blackmail that accompanies the appeal nowadays. Prefer to respect them in my own way.

Guest bimpy474

odd

Hmmmm true but this.

MARTIN O’NEILL: I WAS LABELLED AN IRA SYMPATHISER BY TEAM-MATES

Posted on Monday, 31st May 2010 by Joe McHugh

A new book by Martin O’Neill reveals that he was labelled ‘an IRA sympathiser’ by some of his Nottingham Forest team-mates in the 1970s.

Both Scotland and England refused to play in Belfast during the early seventies with anti-Irish feelings running high in the Midlands after the Birmingham bombings in November 1974.

Writing in his own book with author Simon Moss O’Neill goes into detail about the period and how it left a shadow hanging over him.

Catholic O’Neill went on to captain Northern Ireland in the 1982 World Cup, winning a total of 64 international caps despite coming from a strong GAA background.

Talking about his time at Forest the former Celtic manager said: “I believed that sport in general, or maybe football, could transcend politics but you always felt alienated, especially in those days of 1974 and 1975 when there were comments made in the dressing room that suggested you would have an empathy, if not a downright collusion, in events.

“Irish centres were being firebombed in retaliation and I must admit it was a difficult time. Perhaps I am making too much of it but I felt there was a kind of shadow hanging over events.”

O’Neill’s story will certainly be an interesting one for Celtic supporters, especially the ins and outs of his time at Celtic and his dealings with the Parkhead board.

His relationship with chairman Brian Quinn was notoriously strained with a phone message labelling O’Neill as ‘our esteemed manager’ becoming public knowledge during one rough period between the manager and directors.

After five years at Celtic he took a year out of football due to his wife Geraldine’s illness but is still unsure about going into detail on the subject.

He added: “She would not want me to be mentioning her but sometimes I think she deserves it. I take courage from her. I haven’t any monopoly on bad times. Everybody has them and everybody copes.”

Confirming the influence that Brian Clough had on his career he admits: “It would have been difficult to work with that man for five years and not have learned anything from him.

“But I have often thought that if you tried to copy someone like Brian Clough you would find yourself in a moment of crisis to think what he would do.”

O’Neill’s inside story promises to be a fascinating read, especially in comparison to the authors previous book, a biography with the unemotive Paul Scholes.

Various publications have fallen foul of the Irishman ranging from The Observor to the Daily Record and most shades of opinion in-between.

O’Neill is a favoured pundit for the BBC with his meandering ways but regularly frustrates journalists with his long winded statements at media conferences which seem to cover all answers to a question and none at the same time.

The IRA claims are certain to generate attention, the inside detail of his five years at Celtic will be unmissable reading for Celtic fans everywhere.

Looks like an interesting read!

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

odd

Hmmmm true but this.

MARTIN O’NEILL: I WAS LABELLED AN IRA SYMPATHISER BY TEAM-MATES

Posted on Monday, 31st May 2010 by Joe McHugh

A new book by Martin O’Neill reveals that he was labelled ‘an IRA sympathiser’ by some of his Nottingham Forest team-mates in the 1970s.

Both Scotland and England refused to play in Belfast during the early seventies with anti-Irish feelings running high in the Midlands after the Birmingham bombings in November 1974.

Writing in his own book with author Simon Moss O’Neill goes into detail about the period and how it left a shadow hanging over him.

Catholic O’Neill went on to captain Northern Ireland in the 1982 World Cup, winning a total of 64 international caps despite coming from a strong GAA background.

Talking about his time at Forest the former Celtic manager said: “I believed that sport in general, or maybe football, could transcend politics but you always felt alienated, especially in those days of 1974 and 1975 when there were comments made in the dressing room that suggested you would have an empathy, if not a downright collusion, in events.

“Irish centres were being firebombed in retaliation and I must admit it was a difficult time. Perhaps I am making too much of it but I felt there was a kind of shadow hanging over events.”

O’Neill’s story will certainly be an interesting one for Celtic supporters, especially the ins and outs of his time at Celtic and his dealings with the Parkhead board.

His relationship with chairman Brian Quinn was notoriously strained with a phone message labelling O’Neill as ‘our esteemed manager’ becoming public knowledge during one rough period between the manager and directors.

After five years at Celtic he took a year out of football due to his wife Geraldine’s illness but is still unsure about going into detail on the subject.

He added: “She would not want me to be mentioning her but sometimes I think she deserves it. I take courage from her. I haven’t any monopoly on bad times. Everybody has them and everybody copes.”

Confirming the influence that Brian Clough had on his career he admits: “It would have been difficult to work with that man for five years and not have learned anything from him.

“But I have often thought that if you tried to copy someone like Brian Clough you would find yourself in a moment of crisis to think what he would do.”

O’Neill’s inside story promises to be a fascinating read, especially in comparison to the authors previous book, a biography with the unemotive Paul Scholes.

Various publications have fallen foul of the Irishman ranging from The Observor to the Daily Record and most shades of opinion in-between.

O’Neill is a favoured pundit for the BBC with his meandering ways but regularly frustrates journalists with his long winded statements at media conferences which seem to cover all answers to a question and none at the same time.

The IRA claims are certain to generate attention, the inside detail of his five years at Celtic will be unmissable reading for Celtic fans everywhere.

Looks like an interesting read!

Strange. I suppose N.I were more successful than the Republic back then weren't they so that's prob why he opted for them. Would have been in no 82 W.C with the Republic.

If he does see himself as a big nationist then it would make sense why he didn't wear one. You wouldn't catch any Northern Catholics wearing them things mainly due to past events like Bloody Sunday for just one example.

Personally if I was playing for an English club and was asked to wear one I probably would since I would be working and living in England and all in that scenario so it'd be only right I should show it's people some respect seen as how it means so much to them. Obviously O'Neill and McClean beg to differ.

odd

true but the loophole/reason for Northern players to be able to switch to the south wasn't in place at the time.

O'Neill has certainly worn a poppy before while on ITV but that could easily be a just done thing if you go on TV.

always feel like the whole poppy thing on football shirts is a bit overblown by the media, fully expect the daily mail to vilify both O'Neill and McClean and call for their deportation