Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest mercules

It still an outside bet but I remember Colo promising to shave his locks off if we qualified for cl, wonder if he remembers

I thought Spurs would be the most catchable, but certainly didn't expect that defeat today ;D Ultimately I don't think we'll get 4th but we're gonna take it all the way to the very end. To even be saying this stuff is pure insanity!

But at the moment teams like Lille, Moenchengladbach, Lazio and Malaga/Levante are going to the Champs League qualifiers - none of these behemoth clubs that we should fear.

The very fact we're still in contention for a CL place at this stage of the season is fantastic and testament to the huge effort that the players and staff have put into this season. We just have to keep taking one game at a time and focus on what we're doing.

very proud of the lads  :frantic:

Rooting for you lot, sick of the same clubs every season. The simple fact is you deserve it. Chelsea and Spurs have been very inconsistent.

I think we need to win the next two games and then two out of the last three to have a chance at foruth. #bbcpredictor

I would agree with that, we need 4 wins from 5 to get 4th. However, if we beat Stoke and Wigan we can clinch 5th with a win at Stamford Bridge. That's assuming Chelsea get a maximum of 4 points from the games with QPR and Arsenal. If they drop more we could even get away with a draw at their place.

Our European qualification hinges on three games. Everton vs Liverpool, where a red win would give 6th place a Europa spot, and our two games against Stoke and Wigan. Win those and we will give ourselves a great chance going in to the Chelsea game.

If Tottenham's form keeps up and Chelsea falter with so many competitions I think we can get in with just thee wins, drawing the other two. It's going to be pretty tight. Really hoping Tottenham just fall apart completely.

Im clear on everything. Except

Everton get to the cup final. Is there a way 6th will do? Through league position of chelsea or spurs, chelsea winning CL, or otherwise?

See, I thought us reaching the cup final full stop would have us take a European spot.

But... is it the case we'll only do that if the team we're playing has qualified for the Champions League as opposed to the Europa League?

Fuck it, best win the thing.

From the OP:

If Everton DO make it to the cup final we want there opponents (Tottenham or Chelsea) to finish OUTSIDE the Champions League Qualifying position.

Still, best win it.

OK, let's say Tottenham finish 4th, and Chelsea finish 5th (or 6th).

Tottenham vs Everton in the final - we would get a Europa League spot.

Chelsea vs Everton - we wouldn't get a Europa League spot.

In order for us to be runners-up but not get a Europa League spot, our opponents would need to not already have qualified for the CL. That's my understanding, at least from MKSC's post.

Please don't ask what happens if Chelsea win the CL.