Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Last time I was on a P&O ferry I nearly got arrested, hope that same bellend isn't working again or everyone will be getting locked up. :lol:

Just to clarify, the reason the security fella threatened to have me arrested was because I was wearing a Newcastle shirt.

They definatley used to have no football fan policy which was why the club coach trips always went Dover to Calais.

Last time I was on a P&O ferry I nearly got arrested, hope that same bellend isn't working again or everyone will be getting locked up. :lol:

Just to clarify, the reason the security fella threatened to have me arrested was because I was wearing a Newcastle shirt.

They definatley used to have no football fan policy which was why the club coach trips always went Dover to Calais.

Don't say that man. I'd be wounded. 22 of us booked on, fucking buzzing for it.

Got the train booked from Berwick to Brugge through the Eurostar site. Going on the Wed, back on the Fri.

Hoping we get plenty tickets and I actually get one! Just a member and not a season ticket holder.

It's a competition we should be aiming to win, along with the League Cup. I would be disappointed if we just constantly played the youngsters, even against strong opposition. Personally, I'm hoping to see players like Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse and Tiote to lead us semi-finals, finals, and to hopefully finally win us something. Not that I think we need to play the same players constantly.

I would be disappointed if we just used the youngsters and squad players because I don't think they are good enough whatever Pardew says.  I would hope that he mixes the teams up a bit as I think the youngsters develop more with playing alongside experienced players.  The senior players have all talked about wanting to play in Europe so surely not playing them at all and getting knocked out as a result would be something of an own goal.  I am sure that Cabaye and Ben Arfa would want to play in the Bordeaux game.

If we were to play our strongest team then I would be very confident about qualifying from the group - with the kids I would be doubtful.

Can't fathom the idea of, say, Atlético rotating out Falcao from the EL.

I really think you should try to go for it, really. A strong showing in the first group games can nail you qualification, and you can rotate a bit more afterwards... then go all out in the group stages. Atlético had their best run in the league while they were playing the EL knockouts, so I don't buy this "focus on the league" business.

The team he put out against atromitos isn't good enough, but don't think a million miles off, but do think needs a few more experienced players mixed in, we were very naive. I think we have to accept some rotation but think can't just blanket differentiate EL squad and first team squad

I'd be pretty pissed off if we just didn't give a shit about it. We spent all last season wanting to qualify, so we may as well give it a go. Fucking 2 games in 4 days, wow. I sometimes play 2 in an afternoon on Sundays. I'd happily sacrifice top 6 for an extended run to say the semis.

To us, what does top 6 even mean? Aye it looks good on paper, and you get more prize money, but it's not like the playing squad ever see the fucker, so just go for it ffs.

Sure we never used to struggle between Europe and league under robson/Keegan and did not use squad players, what exactly has changed that makes it difficult for a professional footballer to play twice a week every 2 weeks ?

Our post-European match record under SBR was magnificent.

Sure we never used to struggle between Europe and league under robson/Keegan and did not use squad players, what exactly has changed that makes it difficult for a professional footballer to play twice a week every 2 weeks ?

Exactly!! Xavi (who is 32), for example, played 51 games in total for Barca last year and then even went on to win the Euros with Spain. There is absolutely no reason at all why any of our players can't play two games in a week every fortnight. If they can't then the fitness and coaching set-up seriously needs looking at.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Pardew has been saying all along that the league is the priority this season, with the clubs target being that of reaching the Champions League. Seems like the Europa is considered a distraction to the club, since they only make a few hundred thousand in profit overall.

As a fan it's fucking annoying that the club have prioritised competitions as I'd rather win the League Cup and finish 12th than win nothing and finish 5th.

However, I can see where the club are coming from in terms of reaching the long term goal.

Pardew has been saying all along that the league is the priority this season, with the clubs target being that of reaching the Champions League. Seems like the Europa is considered a distraction to the club, since they only make a few hundred thousand in profit overall.

As a fan it's f***ing annoying that the club have prioritised competitions as I'd rather win the League Cup and finish 12th than win nothing and finish 5th.

However, I can see where the club are coming from in terms of reaching the long term goal.

If they're targeting the Champions League, theyre not going the right way about it! haha.

Still, can't wait for it the games, whatever the team.