Tottenham 5 - 0 Newcastle United - 11/02/12 - post-bumrape discussion from p43

Dave

Guest Dontooner

I don't have any more of an obsession with Ben Arfa than I do with Demba Ba, or Cheick Tiote, or Yohan Cabaye, or Tim Krul, or Fabricio Coloccini. I just think they're clearly our best players and should be in the team as some of the first names on the sheet. How is that an obsession? ???

All those players play well, week in, week out. Are you seriously saying that Ben Arfa does? I don't think he does. He's easily the most talented player we have, but his form is wildly erratic and playing him from the start in a game like this would have been a big risk. I can see why Pardew thought it wasn't a risk worth taking that is my point, I am simply criticising the people on here who seem to think that everything that happened today is down to Pardew's decision not to have Ben Arfa in the starting line up, it wasn't.

The following isn't a response to you mate, just a general point:

I'm not going to get into an argument about this because I've stated and explained my point now to an extent that I think anyone who is reading with an unbiased opinion and an open mind can understand what I am trying to say, they might not agree, but I hope that they would accept that it's a valid opinion. If I carry on I will find myself in an argument with people whose opinions are so biased that they simply can't see the other side of the argument and that's a total waste of my time, so I'm going to stop now, I've made my point, take it or leave it.

My argument was never about HBA, dont think he would have made much of a difference in the outcome of the match. The point is our one dimensional attack "hoof and cross Pardew" and riding our luck quite alot of the games we play. Delusional that some actually think Pardew is tactically aware and has master plans on how to win. Just look at how spurs translate their football on the pitch, and how Pardew does it with our's. They play as a team, making each player better than they are, and we often over rely on some of players.

Manager's are the Brain of the team . its not surprise that the Mackems are turning around after they have a better manager at the helm. All this nonsense about credit to Pardew now is ridiculously, i will congratulate if he kept us top 7 at the end of the season. The table dont lie at the end of the season as for now i congratulate him for keeping us from relegation.  I prefer to judge our performances with the football on the pitch.

As Dave says, writing has been on the wall for a long time - Brighton, Blackburn, Villa and now this. Whilst we've not had our best Midfield available, Pardew has done sweet f*** all to try and address the s*** that's been served up.

I completely agree. I wanted to back the 1.52 that was on offer for a Tottenham win, but didn't want to ruin the game. Last 6 performances have been a bit dodgy.

Perhaps people could actually read what I've said. I wasn't comparing his defensive abilities against anyone else's. I was saying there's an additional issue for Pardew to do with team discipline and keeping the side's shape.

Rightly or wrongly, I think that's why he picked Obertan rather than Ben Arfa.

who said that everything that happened today was down to Pardew's decision not to have Ben Arfa in the starting line up? :lol:

my issue isn't even with pardew's initial line-up, even though i wasn't exactly keen on it. more that after a few mins when it was blindingly obvious that he had dropped a massive clanger he did absolutely nothing to address his mistake.

incredibly frustrating and he deserves a lot of stick for that, just as he deserved a lot of praise after Man Utd at home for instance.

Totally not biased, HBA is clearly a gifted player, yes he has a temperament, but did that ever stop sir Bobby from playing Robert or Keegan playing Ginola, if someone can tell me what Obertan has produced in the games he's played that constitutes him earning the right to keep his starting place over Ben Arfa then I'll shut up.

Perhaps people could actually read what I've said. I wasn't comparing his defensive abilities against anyone else's. I was saying there's an additional issue to do with team discipline and keeping the side's shape.

I don't understand how you can do that without comparing to the alternatives. What was disciplined about Assou Ekotto being allowed to amble into our area while the bloke who should have been tracking him was stood thirty yards behind him?

If Ben Arfa was being kept out of the side by someone who produces going forward and/or is making a significant contribution defensively (see Gutierrez on many occasions earlier in the season) then I don't believe very many would give a shit, probably just the French mentalists.

Who he's behind in the pecking order is the entire argument, I don't know how anyone can dismiss it.

Cant be fucked to read the last few pages. We were due a beating, spurs were due beating someone, it was fucking fun, thats what Im after supporting us. Its the same as losing 2-1 where our away end would be miserable, tbh it was brilliant all game. Look how far weve come. HTL

Tough afternoon at the office. Only just starting to get some feeling back into my feet. Pretty good display from our fans at the end there, but other than that not many positives to take. Ferguson's cameo is probably the only good think that I can think of to come out of this afternoon.

Got to give some credit to Pards - made a point of coming straight over to the fans at the end to thank us. Then John Carver was going around making sure that the players all acknowledged the fans, again probably on Pardew's instructions. Doesn't make up for the 90 minutes that went before that, but it is this attention to detail I like about Pardew. I would go as far as saying that it actually lightened my mood a little. Obviously I was still pretty pissed off, but that definitely made me less angry about it all - it really annoys me how often players don't acknowledge the away fans properly, it wouldn't take much for them to at least look like they cared.

Perhaps people could actually read what I've said. I wasn't comparing his defensive abilities against anyone else's. I was saying there's an additional issue to do with team discipline and keeping the side's shape.

I don't understand how you can do that without comparing to the alternatives. What was disciplined about Assou Ekotto being allowed to amble into our area while the bloke who should have been tracking him was stood thirty yards behind him?

If you look at my original post, it's clear I'm speculating as to Pardew's reasoning. I'm not saying whether he's right or wrong when it comes to an Obertan v Ben Arfa decision.

I think Pardew was seriously pissed off with Ben Arfa during the Blackburn game, hauled him off, was pleased at the effect, and that has affected his thinking.

If Ben Arfa was being kept out of the side by someone who produces going forward and/or is making a significant contribution defensively (see Gutierrez on many occasions earlier in the season) then I don't believe very many would give a s***, probably just the French mentalists.

Who he's behind in the pecking order is the entire argument, I don't know how anyone can dismiss it.

Exactly. 

Cant be f***ed to read the last few pages. We were due a beating, spurs were due beating someone, it was f***ing fun, thats what Im after supporting us. Its the same as losing 2-1 where our away end would be miserable, tbh it was brilliant all game. Look how far weve come. HTL

Spot on, we haven't had one in the league for 2 games.

Guest The_Miz

Tough afternoon at the office. Only just starting to get some feeling back into my feet. Pretty good display from our fans at the end there, but other than that not many positives to take. Ferguson's cameo is probably the only good think that I can think of to come out of this afternoon.

Got to give some credit to Pards - made a point of coming straight over to the fans at the end to thank us. Then John Carver was going around making sure that the players all acknowledged the fans, again probably on Pardew's instructions. Doesn't make up for the 90 minutes that went before that, but it is this attention to detail I like about Pardew. I would go as far as saying that it actually lightened my mood a little. Obviously I was still pretty p*ssed off, but that definitely made me less angry about it all - it really annoys me how often players don't acknowledge the away fans properly, it wouldn't take much for them to at least look like they cared.

Good noise from our lot then?

Got to give some credit to Pards - made a point of coming straight over to the fans at the end to thank us. Then John Carver was going around making sure that the players all acknowledged the fans, again probably on Pardew's instructions. Doesn't make up for the 90 minutes that went before that, but it is this attention to detail I like about Pardew. I would go as far as saying that it actually lightened my mood a little. Obviously I was still pretty p*ssed off, but that definitely made me less angry about it all - it really annoys me how often players don't acknowledge the away fans properly, it wouldn't take much for them to at least look like they cared.

Good noise from our lot then?

Have heard a lot better but given that we were 5 down then it was excellent. Their were pockets of singers, but also quite a few sections of sitters down from the off - that isn't a criticism, people who have paid £40 for a ticket are more than entitled to do so, my point is merely that in my experience if there are lots that are sat down it tends to indicate that there are perhaps less regulars than usual and the atmosphere suffers a bit.

The lads in the lower tier lead the Ramadan song down at the front - they really were going mental and it was going on for the last ten minutes. A couple of times it got quite loud when the upper tier joined in. I noticed Pardew kept looking over, so it must have been loud enough for him to hear. Like I said at the end he shook Harry's hand and was very quick to stride over and thank the fans so it was clearly noticeable.

Only good thing to come out of that game is that no one was injured and no suspensions, 2 weeks can't come quick enough but I'm confident that Padrew will give them a massive kick up the backside. With Cabaye and Tiote back hopefully we can get back to winning ways very quickly. As people are saying playing 4-4-2 against Spurs at their own patch was suicide. 5-0 probably flattered us, they looked like they was going to score every attack and in the second half, they kept the ball and made sure we wasn't even going to score 1.