Tottenham 5 - 0 Newcastle United - 11/02/12 - post-bumrape discussion from p43

Dave

It was rancid from us no doubt and of course Spurs played pretty well, but we just licked Spurs' arse the whole week and bent over for them. Not sure how we're 1 point off a Champions League place but at the end of the day, our goal difference was never going to stack up against the team around us, who tend to win well more often. So if we lose 1-0 or 5-0 in games like this where I didn't expect to get anything it's not worth dwelling on.

Get Cabaye and Tiote back and make sure we win the two home games we've got coming up and we'll be set up very nicely for the run in

I reckon Spurs are a benchmark for us in some respects, for how well they have been ran in recent years. Yes, players such as Carrick and Berbatov were sold, but cash was re-invested and they have progressed on from that. Will the same thing happen to us? Perhaps because we have made progress since our return to the PL, but it's about keeping it real. CL qualification isn't going to happen (I for one don't know anyone who's mentioned it!) but a top 6/7 finish would be great and from there we can push on next season. We bounced back from the Fulham debacle and we will do again from this.

As disappointing as it is (today) we just have to keep the faith. Am trying to be optimistic which is a new thing for me in recent times. 30 years of following this lot makes you cynical!

I might be a bit drink, but I've come to the conclusion that we just had a very s*** day and they had a very void one. Culminating in the worst result possible for us. Hopefully it was just a one off.

I still think we played worse at Blackburn (just that they are far far worse)......... :undecided:

at home vs west brom was a shocker too.  away to qpr was another stinker although it was a draw.

Guest neesy111

:lol:

Brutal truth right there.

Shame when some of our own have expressed the same concerns they have been lambasted for criticising during a generally successful season.

Aye, performances bar the Man Utd game have been poor.

Ah well, only one game, and one with players out who'll be back soon. Move on and hope the goal difference doesn't matter, I suppose.

Spurs were excellent and exploited all our shortcomings brutally. They pressed us into losing the ball cheaply and then played very incisively. Spurs created little at Liverpool, so I thought we'd be looking at a 2-2 or 2-1 to them beforehand, but they played far more openly and expansively. Full credit to their full-back for being that high up the pitch in the first five minutes to score. Some of the space they got from then on will have been from us chasing the game.

Why are the away fans singing and dancing around happily? lol

been away myself in that situation, the games gone, do what you went for.

Indeed, didn't even watch the last twenty minutes, spent that time banging my hand against a sign,  was the most fun I had at White Hart Lane yesterday.

Loads of poor performances. Glad we didn`t pick up any injuries, thats the only thing we can take away. Tottenham were on fire and we were not. Even if we had Cabaye and Toite we would have got raped, only difference is they care a bit more and probably would have got sent off trying to effect the result.

I suppose if we'd been told a few weeks ago that we'd be at White Hart Lane with Perch and Guthrie in CM, we'd have predicted this kind of result. So let's leave the panic button alone.

Incredibly, we're only a point off 4th place with 13 games to go. Our dreams are still intact.

Let's not shit ourselves, we've bounced back (thanks alan) from bad results this season and we'll do it again. We're still in an absolutely fantastic position and with our midfield returning we WILL get better. I'm actually quite glad it's two weeks out now, let the lads stew for a bit. I hope this result hurts and embarasses them and the press spend two weeks writing us off so we come back with a major point to prove.

The only thing I'm a bit down hearted about is this HBA/Obertan situation, it's really getting beyond a joke now. How anyone can say with a straight face that Obertan offers anything HBA doesn't I honestly don't know, especially Pardew.

I have agreed with Pards not using HBA because he looses the ball too much and the games where we have needed him of been close or too physical. For the first time yesterday I thought it was the type of open game we could have used him.

Ok, when the alternative is Raylor I'm willing to grant there's a decision to be made. But Obertan? He offers absolutely nothing.

Never been so tired at the end of an away game, the Demba song was going on for at least 15-20 minutes non-stop in the lower tier, incredible. My missus was in the Spurs end very close to us and apparently they were just watching us for the last ten minutes wondering what the fuck was going on :lol:

Shit performance, everybody gets 1/10, put it down as a bad day at the office & make sure it doesn't happen again.

Anyone who would start Obertan or R Taylor over Ben Arfa in any match in any situation is a fucking pussy who's forgotten all about how we were successful under SBR and KK.

There are ways to play football that lead to long-term success. We're not playing that type of football, but we have the players that are capable of doing so.

Yep the brutal truth from Martin Jol back there. Maybe Pardew should have changed things sooner but atleast he's acknowledged he got it wrong. Thing is going away to play one of if not the best midfield in the league without your two starting beasts in midfield was always going to be a huge factor. Maybe we didn't realise how much of a factor it was going to be.

Sticking Tiote and Cabaye back into that side will make all the difference and there's still plenty of games left including those against the top sides for us to have another go with all our big guns. Sometimes you just have to take one on the chin and accept a hiding.

Tbh I was a bit worried about Ba's performance in that secondary striker role. He looked ponderous and struggled to keep hold of the ball and couldn't link either with his main striker or his midfield - essentials for that role. A lot of moves broke down with him. Yes, the opposition was tough, but I didn't think he played well against Villa either.

Maybe he'll look better in a 4-3-3. Let's hope so, because Cisse is now the player who we want to see leading the line.

Never been so tired at the end of an away game, the Demba song was going on for at least 15-20 minutes non-stop in the lower tier, incredible. My missus was in the Spurs end very close to us and apparently they were just watching us for the last ten minutes wondering what the f*** was going on :lol:

s*** performance, everybody gets 1/10, put it down as a bad day at the office & make sure it doesn't happen again.

Lower tier was brilliant yesterday. The Ba song is brilliant for getting everyone singing.

Oh dear!

I guess we can write it off as playing the wrong team on the wrong day, they were awesome and would have beaten anyone. Full credit to Spurs they are a fantastic football team.

At least in 20 years time when the west end play "Harry's week" is performing to sell out audiences we'll feature in the final act.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

What happens with Guthrie for the Wolves game? Will he be benched - he can't play wide right.

I'd play a 4-3-3

Cabaye  Tiote  Guthrie

Barfa              Ba

Cisse

Need ball retention, and those 3 will provide that, letting ben arfa to be creative for the strikers

I would love to see that along with 99,9% of the Newcastle fans Im guessing. Just sad Pardew wont go there. But really hope Guthrie stays in the team. He has been by far our best player in the past month or so IMO.