Newcastle 1 - 1 Sunderland - 04/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 42

Beren

Surprised McClean has managed to crawl out of Danny Simpson's back pocket, that's how shit he is, the ugly little cunt.

Quite embarrassing to get pwned by old Daddy boy.

Not sure if it has already been debated ad nauseam - but referees really need to get some consistency over what constitutes a penalty in the box.  Can see why Williamson's foul was a penalty, but I can think of about 5 occasions where similar fouls were committed by Sunderland players.  Annoyed me to hear commentators saying it was the right call but ignoring all the other occasions it occurred.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sunderland complaining about the ref? :lol: He's the only reason they were still in the game.

wat

http://i.minus.com/is80221w5ak5g.gif

Few of my thoughts for what it's worth:

Overall, a fair result. Sunderland were the better side in the first half, you were obviously dominant in the 2nd - though Mignolet had very little to do IIRC. It was all very much oohs and aahs, ifs and buts but a lack of real clear chances, the penalty aside.

Not sure what you were playing at in the first half. Sunderland were hardly great but they were still better. They looked a lot more controlled. You resorted mainly to hoofball in the hope Ba/Cisse could create something. That said, you started and finished the half well.

You dominated the 2nd half before and after Sessegnon's moment of stupidity - though I think Tiote's reaction was pathetic. However, as mentioned, there wasn't as much in the way of really testing Mignolet as there should have been. You should have won given the amount of territory and possession you had. Also, the case for Ben Arfa starting has surely now been put to bed, after he ran rings around the Sunderland players all half.

As for the penalties and the refereeing, the less said the better. It was representative of referees this season - a complete lack of consistency as to what is a foul and what isn't. Why the fuck should people respect referees when they give consistently inconsistent decisions?

Not sure if it has already been debated ad nauseam - but referees really need to get some consistency over what constitutes a penalty in the box.  Can see why Williamson's foul was a penalty, but I can think of about 5 occasions where similar fouls were committed by Sunderland players.  Annoyed me to hear commentators saying it was the right call but ignoring all the other occasions it occurred.

It's Williamson's standard way of defending at set pieces, and the ref may have been watching for it. Normally Willo gets very close to his opponent so it's not so obvious who's doing what, but on this occasion he didn't.

The other thing that needs some clarity is goalkeepers jumping off the line before a penalty is kicked. Even though it's not allowed, they all manage to get away with it. I'm not saying that Mignolet's save was any more blatant than others that you see, but it's actually not that difficult a law to enforce, and I don't understand why the convention is that refs turn a blind eye.

Shola interviewed by Mick Lowes says he is designated pen taker and should have took the ball off Ba but was on the floor and feeling knackered ( he didn't train all week and Pardew thought he wasn't fit for the bench but Shola said there was no way he was missing the derby) and Ba seemed very confident. He says that with hindsight he regrets not taking it but absolutely delighted to score. He also thinks we should have won because Williamson had a great chance and should have hit it first time.

It's Williamson's standard way of defending at set pieces, and the ref may have been watching for it. Normally Willo gets very close to his opponent so it's not so obvious who's doing what, but on this occasion he didn't.

The other thing that needs some clarity is goalkeepers jumping off the line before a penalty is kicked. Even though it's not allowed, they all manage to get away with it. I'm not saying that Mignolet's save was any more blatant than others that you see, but it's actually not that difficult a law to enforce, and I don't understand why the convention is that refs turn a blind eye.

Yeah - don't get me wrong, Williamson does it quite often and it was a foul.  But if you are going to give that, then consistency is absolutely crucial.

Before I get into the nitty-gritt, I have mixed feelings about that:

Obviously I'm relieved we nicked a point but I can't help but feel we had more than enough chances to bury the odious little scum bags. First half was pretty awful, a scrappy affair with the best football coming from their lot, saying that we always looked a threat from set pieces with Ba unlucky not to register. Second half was a completely different game, even before Sessagnon foolishly saw red. O'Neil had clearly instructed Sunderland to sit deep and play on the counter and it nearly worked with McClean missing a glorious chance to put them two up. Other than that it was one way traffic, Ben Arfa, Williamson and obviously Ba squandered great chances to level the score in a dominating performance.

On a sour note, Mike Dean had a dreadful game, in comfortably one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen at our place in a long time. In a catalogue of major cock-ups: Cattermole should have seen red after three minute, a penalty should of been awarded after Turner blatently handled with his arms well above his head and Ba's penalty should have been re-taken with Mignolet standing a good yard off his line. Their penalty was also debatable, following the letter of the law there was a foul and it had to be given, but how many referees actually give that sort of decision given that form of offence goes on a gamely basis? Bizarre.