Arsenal 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/03/12 - post-match reaction from page 50

Nate

Guest firetotheworks

And why was Santon taken off? He actually tried to run forward with the ball. f***ing Pardew. I hate this.

Perch was infinitely better defensively.

Nah, got raped by Walcott on numerous occasions. Thought Santon did well. And for his offensive contributions alone he should stay on the pitch. The hoofball and protecting the 1 point obviously didn't work. You don't f***ing say.

That is total fiction. :lol:

And why was Santon taken off? He actually tried to run forward with the ball. f***ing Pardew. I hate this.

Perch was infinitely better defensively.

Nah, got raped by Walcott on numerous occasions. Thought Santon did well. And for his offensive contributions alone he should stay on the pitch. The hoofball and protecting the 1 point obviously didn't work. You don't fucking say.

It's just not true. There was one moment he caught Walcott for pace, but that's it. Perch got done twice, but also kept up with him same amount of times. Santon was mostly watching Jonas and Colo do his job on top of getting done by Walcott.

People give Williamson, Perch and Simpson so much stick but Santon is getting away with murder at the moment. That's not to say I think he's shit, he's young and has potential... but people seem to ignore his defensive mistakes with his position or marking simply because he runs forward with the ball occasionally it seems.

I hope so because I've seen little from Santon to suggest he'll be a decent full back. From what I've seen he'd be more adept in wide midfield. I'm not righting him off before the hystericals jump down my throat, but it's ominous when the maligned Perch came on and looked far more at ease defending.

agreed unfortunately. obviously would prefer to see him in RB but by no means guaranteed that he'll adapt or improve.

He needs time. He's had good games and bad games. I wouldn't judge a 20 year old player on his first season moving abroad. He looks composed on the ball, willing to play it on the ground, has a decent turn of pace and offers good support in attack. He hasn't learned to time his challenges yet but that will come.

Quite liked our shape tonight in the first half really, and against some of the lesser teams it'd have worked even better. Just need Ba where Obertan was and Cissé up front

Wasn't too disappointed when the ball went in, because it felt deserved - but feeling gradually worse about it.

Really faded away from the game. Some amateur stuff, really. Conceding after you score and conceding with 30 seconds left. :jesuswept:

Reluctant to criticise Pardew too much today. Arsenal are a class above us atm and were at home - we stifled them fairly well for patches here and there but didn't carry any goal threat after we scored.

Demba looked very tired - well poor, actually. Shola did well, but there was absolutely no one there to lay the ball off to. Cabaye was reduced to harrying and no more. We didn't have the ball so it makes sense he had so little impact. Tiote going off was the one though. Everything just went haywire and we looked soft.

As for the usual HBA-specific post-mortem:

I don't like HBA running around chasing shadows. It's wasted running - and pretty much just for show. It's a shame he exclusively has to do that shit to "prove" himself. It's not only deeply ineffective (especially as he seems to be the only one who does it) but it's the fact he seems to have to do it to stay in the team/avoid being criticised as lazy/poor defensively. Couldn't give a fuck how he defends. He shouldn't be in defensive areas most of the time, really.

Night ruined and a horrid week of work ahead of me. Bleugh.

I don't even want to touch upon the subject of him. And I'm not even talking about Gabby Obertan. It's the other one. That colossal twat at right-back. Thought I'd mellowed out recently, but fuck me that boy makes my blood boil. Complete git.

Credit to Perch on the other side. Did well. Didn't think Santon was doing insanely poorly, but having seen Perch hold his own at full-back (considering he was up against an annoyingly scintillating Walcott)... would like to Santon start on the other side for the PRAT who was there today and Perch keep his spot. He's improved tbf :thup:

That was just painful, Simpson was allright for the whole game and made a couple of good clearances off the line, but why did he have to f*** up so badly at the end.

Also, I f***ing hate RVP

Guest schmuck

Apart from the first 2 that got hauled I thought everyone played well really, no complaints. Even Obertan started well before reverting to turboshit. Away to a highly talented and in-form team this was not a bad showing, just a sickener of a result.

As a personal anecdote, my biggest disappointment tonight was Van Persie's behaviour vis a vis Krul. I have admired Van Persie as a talent from the days when he was just a teenager playing for my hometown club (Feyenoord), loved the fact he values the love of the game above anything else (wants to finish his career at Excelsior Rotterdam, his first club as a boy). Have always wanted him to do well, for Feyenoord, Arsenal and Holland of course. Have loved his technique, but also his modesty and professionalism. Tonight he has made a mockery of himself in his feud with Krul, a fellow national team player, whom he should be supporting or at least respecting as a colleague and an exceptional talent. I am utterly disappointed in him to the point where I almost feel betrayed by my respect for him all these years..  :blackeye:

Anyway lets hope Tiote is ok

Who gives a fuck? He'll be getting sold this summer regardless.

Tell you what though, I wish I had my own personal Howard Webb to magic up the odd spare 5 minutes whenever I'm in a spot of bother...

:hmm:

I think the first goal was two quality touches by Van Persie and Williamson couldn't cope. If Shola had headed to the corner flag would have been better than back towards half way. However a poor throw considering the time taking 6 players out of the game. Van Persie is a great player, however I dislike him the way he behaved tonight. You've pretty much won the game so to rub it into the faces of those players who have tried hard is a bastard. The thing with Krul was going on all game, you've scored a alst minute winner just go back to get ready for the restart. He could have shown a bit more respect. Clearly Woodman was trying to say something to him in the tunnell as well!

Guest firetotheworks

Krul 6

Simpson 5.5

Williamson 7

Coloccini 7

Santon 4 / Perch 7

Obertan 5

Cabaye 4

Tiote 6.5

Jonas 6

Ben Arfa 7.5

Ba 7

Guthrie N/A

Ameobi 7

I genuinely didn't think Santon did that bad. Williamson was miles worse. So slow and useless technically. Tiote and Cabaye were bad as well. People get on Ben Arfa's back for possession loss. Well, Tiote lost the ball quite a few times in crucial areas, and Cabaye had so many missed passes. Awful game from him, and I'm sitting here in a Cabaye shirt.  :suicide:

Gutted about the result, but we were 2nd best pretty much all evening. Hated that we resulted to hoof ball for most of the 2nd half, which just kept on giving them the ball again and again. I love watching RVP as a player, but would quite like to see him get injured just to show what a one man team Arsenal are.

As a personal anecdote, my biggest disappointment tonight was Van Persie's behaviour vis a vis Krul. I have admired Van Persie as a talent from the days when he was just a teenager playing for my hometown club (Feyenoord), loved the fact he values the love of the game above anything else (wants to finish his career at Excelsior Rotterdam, his first club as a boy). Have always wanted him to do well, for Feyenoord, Arsenal and Holland of course. Have loved his technique, but also his modesty and professionalism. Tonight he has made a mockery of himself in his feud with Krul, a fellow national team player, whom he should be supporting or at least respecting as a colleague and an exceptional talent. I am utterly disappointed in him to the point where I almost feel betrayed by my respect for him all these years..  :blackeye:

You had respect for a rapist?

Guest johnson293

Oh, so Van Persie goaded Krul after the goal about the 'time wasting'.

Not sure what the goading was about TBH. Krul didn't seem to be taking that long on his kicks - even the Sky commentators said that.