Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 18/3/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

I don't know why people seem so shocked by the performance. I thought we did quite well and could have easily won by a few more goals.

Norwich never really put us under pressure and they are a good team, that we are competing with.

we're not shocked, we're pissed off.

did well? :yao: Yeah, did well to win it.

About an unconvincing win as it's possible to get. The side was totally unbalanced from the first whistle and we got away with that today. Had they thrown Holt on 10 minutes earlier they would have taken something back with them.

We're going backwards under this cunt. Some of the things he's doing are baffling.

First half ratings:

Krul - 6. Nowt to do. Kicking wasn't as horrendous as it was in the second half.

Simpson - 5. Unconvincing. Heavy touch on the ball, and not up against a great deal defensively.

Williamson - 3. Really poor. He's fucking wank this year like. Just awful.

Coloccini - 8. Typical Colo, bailed his team-mates out on more than one occasion, and classy on the ball.

Jonas - 7. Great assist and one other great pass that Cisse should have buried. Not a clue defensively.

Perch - 7. As a barrier in front of the defense he performed very well. Strong in the tackle and closed his men down well. On the ball, meh.

Cabaye - 6. Ticked things over relatively well and his tenacity was useful. Sloppy in the pass at times.

Guthrie - 6. As above really.

Ben Arfa - 6. Came and went in bursts, but relatively quiet. There certainly should be no debate regarding his workrate any more.

Ba - 6. Did okay. Was useful receiving the ball from deep, and looked dangerous in and around the box.

Cisse - 7. Superb finish. Should have smashed the other one home, but it was a good save. Proper poacher, love him.

Second half ratings:

Meh - a mixture of 4s, 5s and 6s.

There's a lot of talk of 'good first half, s*** second half'. Does no one else think we went down the drain after 15 minutes? We got a couple of very good chances after the goal, but there was no sustained good football and I felt Norwich had already taken control of the game.

Foot was eased off the pedal after our goal, we just wound down from there and called it a day at half time. Can't believe that was the tactics employed but seemed like we only cared to try and keep possession (god knows how I would come to that conclusion as we were fucking terrible at it) and defend the 1 goal advantage. Never really tried to use the wings and feed Ba and Cisse. In that case we would have been better taking one of them off and putting Santon on and playing 4-5-1.

I don't know why people seem so shocked by the performance. I thought we did quite well and could have easily won by a few more goals.

Norwich never really put us under pressure and they are a good team, that we are competing with.

I'm quite happy to be honest, this was a match I was expecting to be a real problem, but we had everything under control.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Shower of shit from us and we still won.

We are terrible when we hoof the ball and I reckon if we played like we did today all season we would be comfortably mid table. There is no way this team should have gotten a 1-0 result with the quality on the pitch. We need to play it on the fucking floor, someone tell Krul not to HOOOOOOOOOOOF it all the time. Alan shit himself after the Tottenham lost and decided to consolidate league position instead of actually trying to go for it and it shows in our tactics. I don't know what was going on there but the first 30 minutes where we absolutely look beautiful passing it on the floor slowly ebbed away to that hoofball shite we've been playing recently.

Guest MrSundlofer

James Perch is our most determined player out there. Jumping into tackles. I like it.

I have a feeling Ben Arfa will be substituted soon.

For whom?  :lol:

For Santon.

Guest bimpy474

First half ratings:

Krul - 6. Nowt to do. Kicking wasn't as horrendous as it was in the second half.

Simpson - 5. Unconvincing. Heavy touch on the ball, and not up against a great deal defensively.

Coloccini - 8. Typical Colo, bailed his team-mates out on more than one occasion, and classy on the ball.

Jonas - 7. Great assist and one other great pass that Cisse should have buried. Not a clue defensively.

Perch - 7. As a barrier in front of the defense he performed very well. Strong in the tackle and closed his men down well. On the ball, meh.

Cabaye - 6. Ticked things over relatively well and his tenacity was useful. Sloppy in the pass at times.

Ben Arfa - 6. Came and went in bursts, but relatively quiet. There certainly should be no debate regarding his workrate any more.

Ba - 6. Did okay. Was useful receiving the ball from deep, and looked dangerous in and around the box.

Cisse - 7. Superb finish. Should have smashed the other one home, but it was a good save. Proper poacher, love him.

Second half ratings:

Agree with most of this mate but harsh on Perch, he passed it short, accurate and very rarely gave it away, he was our best player imo.

I'm quite happy to be honest, this was a match I was expecting to be a real problem, but we had everything under control.

Christ. I'm shitting bricks thinking about a game where we're out of control.

:lol:

First half ratings:

Second half ratings:

Agree with most of this mate but harsh on Perch, he passed it short, accurate and very rarely gave it away, he was our best player imo.

Maybe. He had a good game. There was one hair-raising moment and other than that it was just short, sideways passes, which is fine when you're just trying to keep the ball. But it's not exactly progressive. He had a role in the centre of the park and he performed admirably, certainly one of our better players today. There's no doubting that's his best position.

Here's my take.

I think we tried to play carpet football for a period today. But Norwich's pressing game put us under pressure after we took the lead. There were a lot of triangles happening in tight spaces, but Norwich got in Guthrie and especially Cabaye's face and got a lot of joy. This is the kind of game we should be looking for Cabaye to dictate but lately he seems to be struggling with the intensity of the games. I'd rest him if we had any other viable option. As our midfield ceded more and more possession and territory we went longer and longer. I was delighted to see Ameobi which says it all.

Having two guys at the back who treat the ball like a grenade is killing us as well.

Also, Norwich are not a bad side and we are not as far ahead of them squad-wise as we'd like to think.

Its very easy to blame everything on Pardew but I think our players look knackered an low on confidence at the moment.

Here's my take.

I think we tried to play carpet football for a period today. But Norwich's pressing game put us under pressure after we took the lead. There were a lot of triangles happening in tight spaces, but Norwich got in Guthrie and especially Cabaye's face and got a lot of joy. This is the kind of game we should be looking for Cabaye to dictate but lately he seems to be struggling with the intensity of the games. I'd rest him if we had any other viable option. As our midfield ceded more and more possession and territory we went longer and longer. I was delighted to see Ameobi which says it all.

Having two guys at the back who treat the ball like a grenade is killing us as well.

Also, Norwich are not a bad side and we are not as far ahead of them squad-wise as we'd like to think.

Its very easy to blame everything on Pardew but I think our players look knackered an low on confidence at the moment.

Coincides with many of my thoughts :thup:

:lol: false

Horrible 2nd half, and predictable as fuck. I can't believe Pardew closed the shop AGAIN. After he actually put out a positive line up which created some movement. Ben Arfa off again, probably wont start the next game. Bullshit. Cissé off, why? Shola did ok, fair enough but no need to take Cissé off. Perch and Guthrie carried the team. Feel disappointed, which speeks volumes after a much needed win. I don't see how this plan is gonna work against better teams. Norwich looked a very average team with no real threat, but because we sat back like dicks again they thrived on it. You don't say. Also, Williamson should be 4th choice at the very best next season, and Simpson likewise.

Dunno. Seems the players REALLY, REALLY tried--at times--to pass the ball and not hit it long. I think the effort just exhausted them, or some of them have no idea how to do it. Needs more coaching.

Here's my take.

Agree with a lot of of that; it was clear that we were trying to play football in the first half but were simply out-done by them pressing us high up the pitch.

However, it doesn't excuse the fact we played miserable percentage football for the entirety of the second half.

And i think we are a fair way ahead of Norwich squad-wise. Their football is organised and can be effective, but we could have steamrollered them today if we'd wanted to.

And i think most of the players' fear is born from the manager's philosophy. Because there's no reason why we should be laying the red carpet out for teams week after week. I couldn't believe we did the exact same thing this second half, after the Wolves and Arsenal debarcles.

First half ratings:

Williamson - 3. Really poor. He's f***ing w*** this year like. Just awful.

Second half ratings:

Had one bad pass towards the end that put Colo in trouble but was pretty impressive otherwise. Don't see him playing there with Tiote back, interesting to see whether he slots in at LB though.

Really praying Santon would get a chance at RB. Simpson wasnt shocking today but he did have his usual clangers, not sure how he managed to let the Norwich winger get past him, thanks to Krul for a blinding save, Simpson had 5 yards on him, for our "quickest player" he got reamed.

Think the rating is harsh of Krul too, he had a couple of bad kicks after he appeared to have a hamstring strain. Had three great saves that kept us in the game.