Stiliyan Petrov

I thought the last lines in his retirement statement today were very touching indeed. You get the impression he really means it.

There is a deep joy in my heart because of what you have shared with me, not only in this past year but over the years I have been in football. I felt privileged. I still do. I always will.

Also massive big up respect to Chaos Cuellar who said some very touching things about him today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Stiliyan Petrov makes first Aston Villa appearance since beating leukaemia

Stiliyan Petrov made his first Aston Villa appearance in more than four years as Roberto Di Matteo’s team defeated the Austrian side Gak 1902 8-0.

Petrov, 37, played the full second half as Villa cruised to victory against their Austrian sixth-tier opponents, stepping up his remarkable comeback since beating leukaemia.

The Bulgaria midfielder last turned out for Villa in March 2012, before retiring due to his illness. He confirmed his plan to return earlier this year, and joined Villa’s first team for pre-season training last week.

After his first training session last month Petrov tweeted: “I’ve put in a lot of hard work to get to this stage. The last hurdle will be even tougher, but I’m physically and mentally prepared to jump over it.”

A Jordan Ayew double and goals from Micah Richards and Libor Kozak put Villa in total control, leading 4-0 at the break. Di Matteo then changed the entire team at half-time, with Joe Bennett and Rudy Gestede completing the scoring.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/09/stiliyan-petrov-first-aston-villa-appearance-since-beating-leukaemia

He's got a massive fight on his hands to get back in the team after what he's been through, but this is the first time anything villa related has made me happy for about a year.

What an attitude compared to the feckless scumbags who let us down last season

Cm_S-nvWcAQIjXA.jpg

Stiliyan Petrov made his first Aston Villa appearance in more than four years as Roberto Di Matteo’s team defeated the Austrian side Gak 1902 8-0.

Petrov, 37, played the full second half as Villa cruised to victory against their Austrian sixth-tier opponents, stepping up his remarkable comeback since beating leukaemia.

The Bulgaria midfielder last turned out for Villa in March 2012, before retiring due to his illness. He confirmed his plan to return earlier this year, and joined Villa’s first team for pre-season training last week.

After his first training session last month Petrov tweeted: “I’ve put in a lot of hard work to get to this stage. The last hurdle will be even tougher, but I’m physically and mentally prepared to jump over it.”

A Jordan Ayew double and goals from Micah Richards and Libor Kozak put Villa in total control, leading 4-0 at the break. Di Matteo then changed the entire team at half-time, with Joe Bennett and Rudy Gestede completing the scoring.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/09/stiliyan-petrov-first-aston-villa-appearance-since-beating-leukaemia

He's got a massive fight on his hands to get back in the team after what he's been through, but this is the first time anything villa related has made me happy for about a year.

Cm_S-nvWcAQIjXA.jpg

:thup: great story.

Those new kits of yours are pure sex too.

Cm_S-nvWcAQIjXA.jpg

Nineteen thousand  - nil is a canny result anarl :thup:

• 3 weeks later...