Stiliyan Petrov

• 1 month later...

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2912340,00.html?

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew, along with Shola Ameobi, Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson, got on their bikes for charity today.

The quartet joined Villa club masseurs Alex Butler and Andy Smith - and former England international footballer Geoff Thomas - on the second leg of their cycle challenge Pedal for Petrov, in support of captain Stiliyan Petrov.

As a group, they did a lap of the Sports Direct Arena pitch before the masseurs and ex-Crystal Palace midfielder Thomas hit the road again on the second leg of their gruelling charity ride.

Pedal for Petrov sawthe two masseurs start at Petrov's former club Celtic on Tuesday and they willcycle up to 80 miles a day over the following five days, finishing at Villa Park.

They are hoping to raise £250,000 for blood cancer charity Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research.

As well as the Sports Direct Arena, there are several other stops at Barclays Premier League football clubs en route, including Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Everton.

"It's fantastic," centre-back Williamson said. "Any events like this I love to be a part of and to encourage. It's a great cause and fantastic to meeting the lads and see the sort of effort they are going through over the next few days.

"There are some tough days ahead of them, physically and mentally, but the Villa masseurs aregoing the extra mile for the charity and deserve a lot of credit for that.

"It highlights the camaraderie and spirit within football clubs. You work together every day, build bonds and if someone is in trouble or needs help then everyone does whatever they can to support.

"I have played against Stiliyan a couple of times over the years. He's a fantastic player and as good guy as well. We all wish him a speedy and full recovery."

Jonathan Andrews, fundraising director at Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, said: "We are inspired by Alex and Andrew taking on this 400-mile Pedal for Petrov challenge.

"And we are so grateful that they are supporting Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research's life-saving work. The valuable funds they are raising will help us find better treatments and cures for patients with blood cancers including leukaemia, lymphoma and myeloma."

Rock band Ocean Colour Scene are set to play their hits at a special fundraising dinner at the end of the challenge.

Lead singer Simon Fowler and drummer Oscar Harrison are performing an acoustic set at the event, which is set to take place in the Holte Suite on Sunday September 9.

There will be a champagne reception and a delicious three-course meal for you to enjoy at the dinner, as well as a raffle and auction.

All proceeds raised will be donated to Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research.

The price of a table of ten is £600 including VAT while individual seats are £60 including VAT per person.

To reserve your places please contact Rebecca Starkey by email [email protected] or call 0800 612 0960 (option two).

Alex and Andy have already raised over £40,000 through their Just Giving page and they have also set up a text message donation service.

Text Stan91, followed by the amount you wish to donate, to 70070.

You can also make a donation by visiting the Just Giving page - click here.

• 7 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22184198

Nice to hear he's doing OK, my god though that picture of him is shocking. I remember myself and my mate met him in Morrisons in Glasgow when he played for Celtic. A very sound lad who spoke to us even though we were both stoned, dodgy looking students and gibbering shite to him. The difference in how he looked then to now is incredible and really scares me.

My Dad had a similarly aggressive type of cancer and he looked awful for a while. Fast forward to now and he looks more his old self. Hair even grew back straight. Maybe Petrov will grow a ginger barnet, would suit his Scottish roots :D

Glad he's doing well and he'll start to look better in time, I'm sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22184198

Nice to hear he's doing OK, my god though that picture of him is shocking. I remember myself and my mate met him in Morrisons in Glasgow when he played for Celtic. A very sound lad who spoke to us even though we were both stoned, dodgy looking students and gibbering shite to him. The difference in how he looked then to now is incredible and really scares me.

Christ. That's awful.

We've missed him this year.

His first season and a half for us were poor as he hadn't adapted, but up until his illness, he was performing fantastically. He's exactly the sort of player we could use now, for the younger players to look up to.

Surely he'll never play football again? I don't know if that's his plan or not, though don't blame him having it as a target to keep him going.

Good luck, hope he makes a full recovery.

Surely he'll never play football again? I don't know if that's his plan or not, though don't blame him having it as a target to keep him going.

He's 34 in a couple of months, so highly unlikely. I'd have thought that once through chemotherapy for a year, it'd be nigh on impossible to attain the level of fitness required to perform as a top flight footballer.

There has been some talk of the club getting him involved in a coaching role, but I'd imagine his well-being is the only thing he's worried about at the moment.

He's 34 in a couple of months, so highly unlikely. I'd have thought that once through chemotherapy for a year, it'd be nigh on impossible to attain the level of fitness required to perform as a top flight footballer.

There has been some talk of the club getting him involved in a coaching role, but I'd imagine his well-being is the only thing he's worried about at the moment.

You think he'd make a good coach? Hard to tell really, is he doing or was doing badges?

You think he'd make a good coach? Hard to tell really, is he doing or was doing badges?

No idea. Not heard anything about badges, so assume not. Like I said, though, he's got more important stuff to worry about at the moment, so doubt any discussions have gone particularly far.

• 3 weeks later...