Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is the minimum number of extra games we'd have btw? Both from getting 5th and getting in via another placing (ie with qualifying as well)?

min. 2 play off games if we come 5th and got knocked out.

Cup place goes straight into the groups (min. 6 games) but I imagine they'd swap that and the 5th if it got the place got transferred to league.

5th only get you into the qualifier? I thought it meant outright qualification. Bah.

What is the minimum number of extra games we'd have btw? Both from getting 5th and getting in via another placing (ie with qualifying as well)?

Cup place goes straight into the groups (min. 6 games) but I imagine they'd swap that and the 5th if it got the place got transferred to league.

5th only get you into the qualifier? I thought it meant outright qualification. Bah.

Could be worse Liverpool start in the 3rd pre-qualifier so they'll be 4 games up even before the 6 group games.

Every one has to play in the play off round before the group stages. It's normally against part time farmers.

Every one has to play in the play off round before the group stages. It's normally against part time farmers.

No they don't - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League#Group_stage (unless this is wrong)

No they don't - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Europa_League#Group_stage (unless this is wrong)

Didn't know that. That's complete bullshit that the FA Cup winners (runners up really) get in the group stages but 5th place have to go through a play off.

Didn't know that. That's complete bullshit that the FA Cup winners (runners up really) get in the group stages but 5th place have to go through a play off.

I'd imagine (/make up) that comes from the scrapping of the CWC all those years ago.

I like the prospect of getting back into Europe and possibly a foreign away trip if we play some teams that are relatively local. Bit concerned about the potentially negative effect on our league form though.

But the Europa League is fucking shit format. I can only presume that when the morons at UEFA thought it up they had all been on the glue.

The bit before Christmas is a bit of a mess, but when it gets to the last 32 its actually a really good tournament. This is the draw for the last 32 in February, some really big names in there and the final would a great day out. Would love to be in it tbh:

Lok'v Moscow 2-1 Athletic Bilbao

Ajax 0-2 Man Utd

AZ Alkmaar 1-0 Anderlecht

Lazio 1-3 Atl Madrid

Legia Warsaw 2-2 Sporting

Plzen 1-1 Schalke 04

SV Salzburg 0-4 Met'st Kharkiv

FC Porto 1-2 Man City

Hannover 96 2-1 Club Brugge

Steaua Buch't 0-1 FC Twente

Stoke 0-1 Valencia

Trabzonspor 1-2 PSV Eindhoven

Udinese 0-0 PAOK Salonika

Wisla Krakow 1-1 Standard Liege

Rubin Kazan 0-1 Olympiakos

Braga 0-2 Besiktas

The bit before Christmas is a bit of a mess, but when it gets to the last 32 its actually a really good tournament. This is the draw for the last 32 in February, some really big names in there and the final would a great day out. Would love to be in it tbh:

Lok'v Moscow 2-1 Athletic Bilbao

Ajax 0-2 Man Utd

AZ Alkmaar 1-0 Anderlecht

Lazio 1-3 Atl Madrid

Legia Warsaw 2-2 Sporting

Plzen 1-1 Schalke 04

SV Salzburg 0-4 Met'st Kharkiv

FC Porto 1-2 Man City

Hannover 96 2-1 Club Brugge

Steaua Buch't 0-1 FC Twente

Stoke 0-1 Valencia

Trabzonspor 1-2 PSV Eindhoven

Udinese 0-0 PAOK Salonika

Wisla Krakow 1-1 Standard Liege

Rubin Kazan 0-1 Olympiakos

Braga 0-2 Besiktas

Shouldn't let the Champs league rejects in for starters.

Unlikely, but if things stay as they are across Europe some of the teams in it will be:

Malaga, Osasuna and Bilbao (cup)

Udinese, Napoli (cup) and Roma (league due to cup)

Stuttgart, Werder and Hannover (league due to cup)

Lyon, Marseille (lg. cup), Rennes/Ajaccio/Quevily (cup)

Twente, PSV, Heracles (cup)

I voted yes because I think that'd mean we beat Everton in the semi.

I'd like to see NUFC in the CL.

Being in Europe damages your league performance unless you have a top-notch squad, but the CL is worth it. EL isn't unless you win it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Unlikely, but if things stay as they are across Europe some of the teams in it will be:

We'd get mauled.  :lol:

Flashbacks  :o

Drawing any of the French teams would be brilliant considering the makeup of our squad and our better profile over there.

It would be massive for us to qualify for the Europa League. I'll be very disappointed if things conspire against us and we don't get in.

I understand why some might not want the extra games, but there are some great potential match-ups and it would likely help to quell all of the talk of players leaving which is bound to happen the second the transfer window opens.

Can only see the benefits of european football. We will generate more revenue as a club, and we will be able to buy better players with the lure of european football and the extra money generated. Yes we do have a small squad and we will struggle at times with injuries and extra fixtures etc, but a club like us with fans like we have, deserve european football and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

More games to watch = good

Would love a return. It would also mean another incentive for many of the players to stay and for new players to sign.

Beneficial for youngsters as well. I reckon we could see some gametime for the likes of Vuckic, Ferguson, Tavernier etc. and maybe even Streete/Campbell.

good post and a very valid question.

im almost certain if we take our black and white glasses off and think about it.  Playing in the europa league depending on how long we stay in it will no doubt hinder our league perfomances. 

pretty sure we wont finish as high as this season if we go through the long hull of the europa league but it will be good experience for some of our players that havent played in europe yet.

it didnt do man city any good, liverpool or stoke , only team that faired well was man utd but they pretty much dropped out early on purpose because of that.

Man City and Man United were barely in it, and were only there because they failed in the Champions League so that's hardly an argument against it. Liverpool are on the decline anyway. What damage has it done to Stoke?

I don't just want us to be there, i think it's absolutely essential in the progression of the club. It'll be a lot easier to hang onto our best players, and a lot easier to improve the squad. I fear that if we don't get it this season, we won't get this close again for a while.

Man City and Man United were barely in it, and were only there because they failed in the Champions League so that's hardly an argument against it. Liverpool are on the decline anyway. What damage has it done to Stoke?

well im suppose to say it can do more damage than good for your players, as they may  almost see the competition as a chore rather than a blessing. 

with our injury record and the size of the squad it may hinder us, as i have reservation on how committed the players would be when they're travelling far to some eastern block country to play a team no one knows about.

well im suppose to say it can do more damage than good for your players, as they may  almost see the competition as a chore rather than a blessing

with our injury record and the size of the squad it may hinder us, as i have reservation on how committed the players would be when they're travelling far to some eastern block country to play a team no one knows about.

That may apply to the top clubs who are in Europe every year, but as things stand we're not one of them.