Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

What are people so afraid of, why do we need to be so on our guard and not get carried away here?  Warning about jinxes etc...  Theres only five games left and we really have a chance. Lets just get a great hype, do what we can as the twelvth player and really give this a go. Lets get nuts, lets get the champion league back to St James´s!  :-)

What are people so afraid of, why do we need to be so on our guard and not get carried away here?  Warning about jinxes etc...  Theres only five games left and we really have a chance. Lets just get a great hype, do what we can as the twelvth player and really give this a go. Lets get nuts, lets get the champion league back to St James´s!  :-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fTT9xlgZ9CU/TA0xumOk84I/AAAAAAAAobI/76kHCww_zfE/s1600/Prince.jpg

I'm being persuaded that we've got at least as good a chance as the other two now.

I can't see our form dipping because it's not as though we're playing that well at the moment anyway. It seems to me that two or three times a game, some combination of Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse will open up a defence and we score. It's not as though we're relying on luck or hoping the opposition are going to make a mistake - we're creating our own chances even if, on balance of play, we look very far from dominant.

As others have said, Chelsea have a busy schedule and Spurs seem to have lost focus since the Harry-for-England bandwagon started. Two of our tough fixtures - Man City and Everton - are likely to be against teams whose league ambitions are over.

So our current form and style - not brilliant though it is - may well be enough.

Yes that was very evident in the bolton match - didn't play particularly well, could've conceded first, but the overwhelming quality of the front 3 plus Cabaye's return to creative form is enough to pick up points as long as the rest of the side keeps it solid at the back.

Also got a feeling that both spurs and chelsea may very well lose their next league games - tough away derbies for both of them against sides with something to play for.

We have conceded what...one goal in the last five games? With Tiote and Coloccini back after the break we can definitely keep our defence rock solid for the run in - and we have a front three which can always snatch the win with a bit of magic like on Saturday. This is where I think Pardew's focus on defence might well turn out to be the difference. We've seen how flashy Spurs and Man City have crawled into their shells when the heat is on. Are we now playing exactly the right type of football for the crunch games? I reckon we are.

I think that's right. A conservative game is less likely to crumble under pressure.

The Cockneys may as well give up now.

Would you settle for a confirmed place in the Europa League this weekend, or would you rather suffer a heartbreaking (and maybe embarrassing) defeat in the Champions League qualifier and then drop into the Europa League? I would say I pick the former as going out in the qualifiers at the start of the season in August could have an effect on the team from the start..

Seem to remember we suffered badly once we got knocked out of the qualifiers by Partizan..and would we still have the same players for the qualifiers as we have now? we would really need to gel new players and also recover form the loss of outgoing players by the time qualifiers come around..

5th place would be goof enough for me..

Naturally I'll be happier with Champions league but I think Europa would be enough to keep the stars here and I expect us to continue to prove people wrong next season. This season it's been 'who'd have known after losing Barton/Nolan/Carroll/Enrique they'd be so good'. Next year it'll be 'wow, who'd have known moving on Danny Simpson would improve nufc so much, he was one of the best right backs in the league'.

No - the other sides around us have better squads and that may prove key in the end. I'd happily accept a Europa league spot.

But there's just a mini-season of five games to go, do squads matter as much at this stage?

and ours are all fit....albeit with the slight caveat that Tiote and Colo have looked a bit frail recently

I voted no but tbh i'm not really sure. It almost seems to good to be true, our current situation, if we qualify for any European competition considering where we were 3 years ago it's kind of a big deal.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE83qN3ZWmO1zeexpxRlLzEvYxaGn97OmKHaNlP9tNsjAU53rO

Guest firetotheworks

I want to believe, but I don't want to get carried away until we play Chelsea. This question being asked is just Total Recall levels of dreaminess tbh.

Naturally I'll be happier with Champions league but I think Europa would be enough to keep the stars here and I expect us to continue to prove people wrong next season. This season it's been 'who'd have known after losing Barton/Nolan/Carroll/Enrique they'd be so good'. Next year it'll be 'wow, who'd have known moving on Danny Simpson would improve nufc so much, he was one of the best right backs in the league'.

People at the start of the season were saying the we would struggle as we shipped out them players, but what people failed to mention was that we replaced them with better players, Carroll with Ba, who scored just as much goals as Carroll when he was at Hoffenheim and West Ham, Nolan with Cabaye who was one of the best players of Ligue 1 last season, Enrique with Santon who is meant to be a Hot prospect, the only player I would say the we didn't replace was Barton but we had Ben Arfa coming back at the time he left. It was just the media jumping on the fact that we let them leave,and i for one am thrilled that we proved them wrong.

I want to believe, but I don't want to get carried away until we play Chelsea. This question being asked is just Total Recall levels of dreaminess tbh.

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgfp2189+i-want-to-believe-x-files-poster.jpg

Would you settle for a confirmed place in the Europa League this weekend, or would you rather suffer a heartbreaking (and maybe embarrassing) defeat in the Champions League qualifier and then drop into the Europa League? I would say I pick the former as going out in the qualifiers at the start of the season in August could have an effect on the team from the start..

Seem to remember we suffered badly once we got knocked out of the qualifiers by Partizan..and would we still have the same players for the qualifiers as we have now? we would really need to gel new players and also recover form the loss of outgoing players by the time qualifiers come around..

5th place would be goof enough for me..

By that logic we may as well want to lose the next 5 matches and hope we don't qualify for Europe at all, especially as we'd probably have to play a qualifier (or even two) even if we qualify for the Europa League.

If we can battle through stoke and get get the 3 pts its hungry fucking hippo time, get 3 more at wigan and its connect 4.

Get some more points from City, Chelsea or Everton and we've sunk some poor fuckers battleship.

We can do this.

Guest reefatoon

If we can battle through stoke and get get the 3 pts its hungry f***ing hippo time, get 3 more at wigan and its connect 4.

Get some more points from City, Chelsea or Everton and we've sunk some poor fuckers battleship.

We can do this.

And if we don't it's frustration.

If we can battle through stoke and get get the 3 pts its hungry fucking hippo time, get 3 more at wigan and its connect 4.

We can do this.

You know it makes sense.