Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

As long as everyone agrees not to be morbidly depressed if it doesn't happen then I don't see the harm in dreaming a bit, it's what the game is all about at the end of the day. Fuck pragmatism and taking the safe option.

It's there to be had, so we might as well have a fucking gamble and go for it. We're not in the driving seat, but we're choking on the winnits of the team that are, such is our proximity - and they have other plates in the air at this moment in time too.

Right now, I believe we can do it. Obviously this might change with a bad result against Stoke or a bad injury to our key man of the moment (Cisse), but in the here and now with a 12 day gap between games, the fact it looks like we'll have nigh-on a full strength squad come April 21st and the FA Cup Semis on the horizon for our rivals (a few red cards, injuries and extra-time/penalties wouldn't go amiss there cheers chaps) we're the favourites in my eyes.

Being in.Europe is the most important thing in keeping our current core, which for me is the most important thing atm for me. Even with "just" the waffa cup, I would like to think the players will like to stay

I could see this scenario unfolding...

We finish 4th in dramatic fashion on the last day of the season. The board crashes amidst the delirium. We make some great summer signings. Excitement for next season is like nothing seen in the last decade-plus. We draw Valencia in the CL qualifying round. Lose 3-0 away and draw 1-1 at home. Out of the CL in two games. Dream over. Back to reality.

More likely I think we'll finish 5th, which would be a remarkable achievement.

I could see this scenario unfolding...

We finish 4th in dramatic fashion on the last day of the season. The board crashes amidst the delirium. We make some great summer signings. Excitement for next season is like nothing seen in the last decade-plus. We draw Valencia in the CL qualifying round. Lose 3-0 away and draw 1-1 at home. Out of the CL in two games. Dream over. Back to reality.

More likely I think we'll finish 5th, which would be a remarkable achievement.

Do qualifying round losers get put in the Europa League?

Can see us being involved in a Spurs 2005/2006(or was this 2006/2007?) scenario where we're in the driver's seat on the last day then everybody gets hit with food poisoning or some shit and we miss out on goal difference.

Nah, fuck it. We're doing this. We deserve it.

I think we'll get 5th. 

Looking at Chelsea's schedule, the clusterfuck of games they have between now and our game with them... I think we'll win at Stamford Bridge.

I doubt we can better Spurs' results between now and the end of the season. Sure, they've had a bad run, but they've had a beast of a schedule since their victory over us. They should walk it.  (But the loss to Norwich does make me hopeful.)

I'm being persuaded that we've got at least as good a chance as the other two now.

I can't see our form dipping because it's not as though we're playing that well at the moment anyway. It seems to me that two or three times a game, some combination of Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse will open up a defence and we score. It's not as though we're relying on luck or hoping the opposition are going to make a mistake - we're creating our own chances even if, on balance of play, we look very far from dominant.

As others have said, Chelsea have a busy schedule and Spurs seem to have lost focus since the Harry-for-England bandwagon started. Two of our tough fixtures - Man City and Everton - are likely to be against teams whose league ambitions are over.

So our current form and style - not brilliant though it is - may well be enough.

I think the drive and will in our squad will be fantastic for the rest of the games. Form won't work in the same way it usually does, not when an opportunity like this presents itself. Many of our players probably have their one and only chance of experiencing Champions League football if we make it, so I think we'll see some very dedicated performances.

Also, Tioté back and fit for the last five games gives us another dimension and increases our ability to control games. At Stamford Bridge and Goodison Park he could be the difference.

I'm being persuaded that we've got at least as good a chance as the other two now.

I can't see our form dipping because it's not as though we're playing that well at the moment anyway. It seems to me that two or three times a game, some combination of Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse will open up a defence and we score. It's not as though we're relying on luck or hoping the opposition are going to make a mistake - we're creating our own chances even if, on balance of play, we look very far from dominant.

As others have said, Chelsea have a busy schedule and Spurs seem to have lost focus since the Harry-for-England bandwagon started. Two of our tough fixtures - Man City and Everton - are likely to be against teams whose league ambitions are over.

So our current form and style - not brilliant though it is - may well be enough.

Yes that was very evident in the bolton match - didn't play particularly well, could've conceded first, but the overwhelming quality of the front 3 plus Cabaye's return to creative form is enough to pick up points as long as the rest of the side keeps it solid at the back.

Also got a feeling that both spurs and chelsea may very well lose their next league games - tough away derbies for both of them against sides with something to play for.

Guest johnson293

Would love us to qualify for the Champions League, but we still need a big push, and other teams to slip up for us.

At the moment, Europa League qualification is looking likely, and welcome, but Champions League would be a fantastic bonus.

Just hope we can get as many points as we can in the last 5 games, and then see what happens.

Also, I actually think Wigan away might be our toughest remaining fixture. They've hit their annual "great escape" form.

Admittedly this might sound like I'm just able to find a reason why we'll win every game from now on, but they need points badly and we're fucking lethal on the break away from home,  I think we've got more chance of winning that than home to Stoke.

I just really wish Liverpool beats Everton. That would  make us completely pressure free compared to Spurs and Chelsea. Deep down every one of us would be massively disappointed if we don't get even Europa League after finishing 6th and it would be sad to end this ridiculous season in disappointment.

Spurs and Chelsea are s***, we can get there! :lol:

Yes that was very evident in the bolton match - didn't play particularly well, could've conceded first, but the overwhelming quality of the front 3 plus Cabaye's return to creative form is enough to pick up points as long as the rest of the side keeps it solid at the back.

Also got a feeling that both spurs and chelsea may very well lose their next league games - tough away derbies for both of them against sides with something to play for.

We have conceded what...one goal in the last five games? With Tiote and Coloccini back after the break we can definitely keep our defence rock solid for the run in - and we have a front three which can always snatch the win with a bit of magic like on Saturday. This is where I think Pardew's focus on defence might well turn out to be the difference. We've seen how flashy Spurs and Man City have crawled into their shells when the heat is on. Are we now playing exactly the right type of football for the crunch games? I reckon we are.