Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

This was an interesting paragraph.....

Hatem Ben Arfa is a perfect embodiment of why - a player who brings moments of excitement bordering on the sexual, a wild card with an old-school combination of jaw-dropping goals and brainless mistakes. No Champions League team was prepared to tolerate his perceived lack of reliability, so Newcastle welcomed him to Tyneside to ply his casual eroticism to a more appreciative audience.

;D

Patronising arsehold on the whole tbh.

:thup: It's nice to see the team get plaudits but that article itself is a crock of shite. :lol: A chance to get European football that we as fans may never get to see again ffs. :lol: Does he realise that the vast, vast majority of Toon fans have memories of some great European nights? :lol:

If Spurs win their next game, I can't see it happening. There aren't exactly any dead easy fixtures in this league, but they couldn't have handpicked much better :lol: Even with their dodgy form.

They've got three away fixtures at relegation-threatened clubs, I'm not sure I'd be picking those games at this stage of the season. Granted Villa could be safe and dry by the time Spurs get to Brum, but I'd hope not.

I've not read the article and don't plan to but hacks normally watch one or two of our games and then extrapolate an article on our season based on that and shit they read from other people. Should be banned from writing if they can't prove they've watched over 50% of our games

Poor on so many levels.

• "and his [ba's] partnership with Papiss Cisse relies on a simple understanding and natural gelling"

• "it's difficult to describe exactly what Ben Arfa actually brings to the team"

• "Both men [Redknapp and Pardew] defy the cold, analytical ideal of the modern manager, relying on team spirit and good players playing their natural game in their natural positions - two simple ideas that have fueled Newcastle's rise ever since their relegation"

It's insane how many points he can get wrong. Talks like Cisse and Ba have been inter-changing constantly and says there's no creator-goalscorer definition. Yep, that'll be why Ba's scored 1 and Cisse's scored 10 since his arrival. :lol: Comparing Redknapp and Pardew ffs. :lol: Yes, we've got some fantastic players that can produce some magic, so that automatically means that Pardew doesn't meticulously plan everything ahead of a match. A self-confessed stat freak ffs. :lol:

Guest Phil K

Re: the possible CL place.

(we seem to have strayed a little)

As a Newcastle supporter, you DON'T expect the best to happen. In fact you EXPECT to be kicked in the nuts.

If it were a Liverpuddle or Man Yoo or Arsenhole fan, you'd expect things to go your way, because it normally does (hence the attitudes of Liverpool fans now, with one cup in the bag and another possible, yet still they complain)

It always goes pear shaped for us, so why expect any different ?

Just enjoy the ride.

It's insane how many points he can get wrong. Talks like Cisse and Ba have been inter-changing constantly and says there's no creator-goalscorer definition. Yep, that'll be why Ba's scored 1 and Cisse's scored 10 since his arrival. :lol: Comparing Redknapp and Pardew ffs. :lol: Yes, we've got some fantastic players that can produce some magic, so that automatically means that Pardew doesn't meticulously plan everything ahead of a match. A self-confessed stat freak ffs. :lol:

The Pardew thing grabbed me.  I seem to remember Santon comparing him to Mourinho in terms of the amount of preparation and anlysis that goes into each match.  Either way there have been many comments about his stats analysis and preparation from him and players.  Generally a innaccurate and patronising article.

The way some people were going on you'd have thought Spurs had an easy run-in, but looking at their games, 2 away games at teams fighting for their lives, Blackburn won't make it easy for them, and Villa is still a banana skin. I think they'll drop points in 2 games from now until the end, I reckon we'll win 3...could be close.

I think the realisation that we are now on the same points as Spurs will probably give them a kick up the backside.

The goal difference mostly comes down to our 5-0 loss to them.

Getting 5th is in our own hands as we have to play Chelsea but Spurs need to slip up for us to get 4th.

Patronising arsehold on the whole tbh.

Couldn't agree more. Calls us a "self styled big club" then spins out the old geordie expectations cliches. And at the bottom of the piece he's saying due to our stadium size and support base we're better placed than anyone for champions league football. 

I think the pressure is actually on now to get Europe of some sorts, which is a shame. The "we're going to italy" chants and media coverage have spotlighted us. I think if Liverpool beat Everton on Saturday we'll be able to say "fuck it, we're in Europe, let's have a bash at getting CL". My worry is that, if Everton get the FA Cup spot, our arse will drop as we know we have to finish 5th to get Europe.

6th and no Europe would still represent a superb season.

I think the pressure is actually on now to get Europe of some sorts, which is a shame. The "we're going to italy" chants and media coverage have spotlighted us. I think if Liverpool beat Everton on Saturday we'll be able to say "fuck it, we're in Europe, let's have a bash at getting CL". My worry is that, if Everton get the FA Cup spot, our arse will drop as we know we have to finish 5th to get Europe.

6th and no Europe would still represent a superb season.

:thup: Someone mentioned it before, I hope the fans don't get too disheartened if we finish 6th and get no Europe. But I feel that we will 'bottle it' in a sense, if we know after Saturday that 5th is a must for Europe.

A lot wrong with that article...I mean really can't stand implication we're an old fashioned side just charging purely because we're motivated and without nous.

Also suggesting Ben Arfa has been a fun liability rather ignores why he's turning heads right now...

Guest Sophie S

Patronising arsehole on the whole tbh.

Totally agree, that guy couldn't belittle us anymore if he tried.

Received wisdom says that Newcastle United is a comedy club [...] from its laughable relegation to its self-styled status as a big club.

[...] a club whose ambitions have long been the butt of jokes and derision has now become likable.

Any of the other contenders for the Champions League is likely to return within two years if it misses out, but for Newcastle, it's an opportunity that might never come again. For everybody else, getting in the top four is a stepping stone -- the beginning of something greater. It would be much nicer if it could go to a team that would treat it as something beautiful in itself.

Basically, he's saying we're a joke and lucky having played against "the worst Arsenal and Chelsea sides in years", which gives us a once in a lifetime chance. And because we are so little and cute and not really a threat to anyone, but having such a great time at the moment, one should grant us this one moment of success.

I really don't need this sort of swanky benefactor to be "rooting" for us.  :puke:

Although I can't help but feel we are overachieving this year (and I'm totally excited about it), I also see how, with a little investment, we can establish our position among England's top six clubs in future years.

But it's good to see that Hamilton seems to be the only one with that opinion.

Much will be written about the great revival of Newcastle United – and there are many reasons as to why a genuine, big club is punching its weight among England's elite once more – but sat among them is the control Pardew has put in place for his team, and the ethos he has forged inside his dressing room.

As far as CL goes: No, I don't think we'll make it. Just can't see it. But I hope it's because Tottenham won't make any more mistakes, not because we'll get cold feet when we have the chance. I think we'll get into Europe though, one way or another. I would be quite disappointed if not, got too excited about the prospect already.

If all foreign leagues stay the same possible teams we'd face:

Braga (Por)

Motherwell (Sco)

Malaga (Esp)

Borussia Mönchengladbach (Ger)

Lille (Fra)

Lazio (Ita)

CSKA Moscow (Rus)

Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr)

AZ (Ned)

Fenerbahçe (Tur)

Dinamo București (Rom)

Club Brugge (Bel)

FC Nordsjælland (Den)

Panathinaikos (Gre)

No gimme that we'd get into the groups like although obviously teams from certain countries would be more favourable than others.