Will we qualify for the Champions League? Sadly not...

Rich

As of 2010–11, UEFA awards €2.1 million to each team in the play-offs round. For reaching the group stage, UEFA awards €3.9 million, plus €550,000 per group match played. A win in the group is awarded €800,000 and a draw is worth €400,000. In addition, UEFA pays teams reaching the first knockout round €3 million, each quarter finalist €3.3 million, €4.2 million for each semi-finalist, €5.6 million for the runners-up and €9 million for the winners.[45]

Playoffs: €2,100,000

Group stage: €3,900,000

For each match in group stage: €550,000

Group match victory: €800,000

Group match draw: €400,000

Round of 16: €3,000,000

Quarter-finals: €3,300,000

Semi-finals: €4,200,000

Losing Finalist: €5,600,000

Winning the Final: €9,000,000

A large part of the distributed revenue from the UEFA Champions League is linked to the "market pool", the distribution of which is determined by the value of the television market in each country. For the 2010–11 season, Manchester United, who lost the final, earned nearly €53.2 million in total, compared with the €51.0 million earned by Barcelona, who won the tournament.

Also: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/66/11/07/1661107_DOWNLOAD.pdf

:indi:

interesting thing for me if we did squeeze in is that i don't think it'd change ashley's approach to player incomings one bit, i still think we'll have the same targets and plan regardless - a squad as close to the limit as you can realistically have supplemented with hopefuls from the youth and reserve teams

i don't think he'd suddenly allocate another 10-15m for new players that he otherwise wouldn't have, for example, i also wouldn't criticize him for it one bit

interesting thing for me if we did squeeze in is that i don't think it'd change ashley's approach to player incomings one bit, i still think we'll have the same targets and plan regardless - a squad as close to the limit as you can realistically have supplemented with hopefuls from the youth and reserve teams

i don't think he'd suddenly allocate another 10-15m for new players that he otherwise wouldn't have, for example, i also wouldn't criticize him for it one bit

Nor would I. Getting carried away could  undue all the good work and sacrifices that have gotten us from the relegation season to talking about qualifying for the CL in only a few years.

suppose the only thing you might want to see as a result of CL qualification to bolster the squad would be say a good loan for a season with a view to buy that is offset by the CL money in a single season, therefore if you have a shit season and don't think it's the right move to cement it then don't bother

He might spend some more money but it would have to be within the financial structure we have set up, and that's only right. What we are building is a solid business model which isn't going to be dependent on results which can fluctuate wildly from season to season. Clubs like Villa have had their fingers burned badly by throwing money at the squad hoping it will pay off on the pitch.

My dad has just informed me that he's put a bet on us finishing in the top 4 (not sure what stake he's gone for but the odds were 14-1). I should probably add that he has a good record when it comes to betting.....

Despite this, I'm still on the fence about us actually making it.

As of 2010–11, UEFA awards €2.1 million to each team in the play-offs round. For reaching the group stage, UEFA awards €3.9 million, plus €550,000 per group match played. A win in the group is awarded €800,000 and a draw is worth €400,000. In addition, UEFA pays teams reaching the first knockout round €3 million, each quarter finalist €3.3 million, €4.2 million for each semi-finalist, €5.6 million for the runners-up and €9 million for the winners.[45]

A large part of the distributed revenue from the UEFA Champions League is linked to the "market pool", the distribution of which is determined by the value of the television market in each country. For the 2010–11 season, Manchester United, who lost the final, earned nearly €53.2 million in total, compared with the €51.0 million earned by Barcelona, who won the tournament.

Also: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Finance/01/66/11/07/1661107_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Mike Ashley has a stiffy.

[/sorry]

I wonder if the players are any sort of bonus if we qualify for the Champions League? It might have seemed daft to even think of it at the time, so probably not.

A lot of players are on very long contracts so its a good chance there is one in there IMO.

Mike Ashley has a stiffy.

[/sorry]

Not taking into account any income from the Europa League if they fail to qualify, the playoffs are worth about 20 million for the fourth placed Premiership club.  :frantic:

My dad has just informed me that he's put a bet on us finishing in the top 4 (not sure what stake he's gone for but the odds were 14-1). I should probably add that he has a good record when it comes to betting.....

Me too and i remain on the fence until i see that table say this......

Played 38 games

4. Newcastle

I think with our squad having so many players who've experienced european styles of play before that we'd do well in European football. I don't think there'd be such a big culture shock (as happens to some teams).

14s sounds like extremely generous odds if you can still get it.

Guest bimpy474

14s sounds like extremely generous odds if you can still get it.

Most now have us at 6-1.

We're about 100-30 at present to finish top 4. I think we can top Chelski, especially if we avoid defeat there, but can't see Spurs dropping many points unless they continue to implode. Arsenal are too far ahead if they win at Wolves tonight. Would 'Luv it' if we qualified but glorious failure is our more normal friend. Think we might need to win all five.

I think we will finish 5th but i know i will be gutted if we dont' finish 4th, despite expectations at the start of the season.

The Champions League is a magic place and we are just the sort of club who adds to the competition.

Think tonights results hurt our push. Wigan beating Manure shows what great form they are in right now and will give them a confidence boost ahead of the game with us. Manshitty winning big, coupled with Manure's defeat keeps them in the title hunt and therefore the game with us may still mean something.