Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 02/05/12 @ 7.45pm - pre-match thread

Dave

Few journo's seem to think Ba may be dropped.

Ridiculous, we don't have a capable replacement.

http://images.footballfancast.com.s3.amazonaws.com/players/300px/newcastle/James-Perch.jpg

I can kind of see why they might think that, but the thing is what are the alternatives? Shola to start up top? Hatem to play next to Cisse and Obertan to play on the right? Jonas to push forward and Guthrie/Gosling/Perch to come into a midfield three?

Would much rather see an out of form Ben Arfa play than any of those I've mentioned.

Think it would be Ben Arfa just behind Cisse, Ryan Taylor coming in at right midfield.

4-3-3 please. lets go for this.

This. The formation's worked so well for us until last weekend - where Pardew himself said it wasn't the system, but more the intensity.

So, same system, more intensity please then. :thup:

Guest BooBoo

Ba can have few complaints if he's dropped tbh. Not only has his form dipped, he looks knackered.

We saw against Wigan what a team with good movement could do to us, and Chelsea will carry the same threat. Ba has looked off the pace in that more withdrawn position, and I'm sure Pardew will have at least considered the idea of replacing him for this game.

The trouble is, there's no obvious direct replacement, as you say. We could move Jonas forward and put in Guthrie / Perch into the midfield? Then if we're still level with 20 minutes to go, Ba could come on and have a real impact.

A capable replacement for a  player who can't run?

Best would be a better option right now. Ba is obviously the better player but he's a spent force this campaign.

Guest neesy111

They say Marveaux's going down. Would be interesting to see him on the left of that front 3 also at some point.

Aye, both Marveaux and Obertan are in the squad unlike for Wigan.

Could be Obertan in for Ba to try and take advantage of the older legs in chelsea's defence with his pace

Yeah, though i think Chelsea would take more advantage from us fielding a terrible footballer.

Could be Obertan in for Ba to try and take advantage of the older legs in chelsea's defence with his pace

Yeah, though i think Chelsea would take more advantage from us fielding a terrible footballer.

I would comment on them playing torres but he seems good again :(

I would comment on them playing torres but he seems good again :(

I would'nt go that far....... having 20 yrds have space to tap some goals in against one of the worst sides in the league doesnt mean " hes back "