Chelsea 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 02/05/12 - post-miracle reaction from p60

Dave

Guest Loven11

Great shift put in from everyone and them goals were amazing especially the 2nd goal. What a striker we have on our hands here.

I fucking love NUFC.

I've just fallen for Perch even more after hearing his soft, soothing voice.

Backpack on over both shoulders too, nice.

Aye the backpack is a great touch.

:lol:

Might have to invest

Di Matteo doesn't reckon Cisse meant it. :lol: Aye alright you bitter f***ing olive.

Ba said something like "well, of course he meant it otherwise it would've been in the stands..."

Makes sense to me.

I also said that.

I am Ba :megusta:

"Tioté was felled when the raised arm of Mikel, who did not appear to have seen the Ivorian, struck him on the head"

"Despite the ambitions of these clubs there were few indications on this occasion that either would enhance the Champions League."

Why? Why do I keep reading this f***ing rag?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/02/chelsea-newcastle-united-premier-league

Another decent article IMO

Toon machine ends Chelsea hopes

Those waiting for the Newcastle bubble to burst will now have to concede this team of heroes deserve their place among the Premier League's elite this season.

On a night when Alan Pardew's men outfought (and thoroughly deserved to beat) a Chelsea side who could not match the energy and effort displayed by a team working tirelessly from first to last whistle, two extraordinary goals from Papiss Cisse gave Newcastle a victory that was the finest of what has already been a remarkable campaign.

It was as the clock ticked down and Newcastle were guarding their slender goal advantage with some comfort that a game already threatening to enter Geordie folklore became one of the greatest away wins in the Premier League era, with the mercurial Cisse crowning their glory in the most stunning fashion imaginable.

Catching the ball with the outside of his right boot from all of 25 yards on the corner of the penalty box, gasps echoed around Stamford Bridge long before back-peddling Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech was forced to pick the ball out of his net; Newcastle's celebrations were justifiably raucous in their exuberance.

Such a moment of sublime magic only tends to come along once in a lifetime, yet Cisse has produced mesmerising tricks time and again since his arrival in Newcastle last January, inspiring his beaming manager to hail his world-class double strike as the work of a master.

"Both of Papiss' goals were fantastic, but you have to say his second was astonishing," said the manager who must now be the leading contender to claim the accolade of Premier League Manager of the Season. "It was a special moment for Papiss and a special moment for our football club because wins at Stamford Bridge have not come along too often for Newcastle.

"Papiss deserves all the credit for his goals, but the work ethic my players showed and their commitment to the cause was fantastic. They can all feel very proud of themselves and you don't get into the sort of position we find ourselves in unless you have outstanding players and a great team."

It would have been easy for Pardew to revel in his glory on a night when his side moved four points clear of Champions League finalists Chelsea with just two games left to play, yet his thoughts were already turning to Sunday's epic showdown with title favourites Manchester City on Tyneside.

"If anyone had told us we would enter our final game of the season looking to halt Manchester City's title push and striving to secure ourselves at top-four finish, I don't think too many people would have believed it," added Pardew. "In truth, we may not have believed it ourselves, but you rarely get a chance to break into the top four of the Premier League and we have to go and grasp it on Sunday."

Newcastle were the side pushing for victory in the West London rain from the off, with the ambitious formation laid out by the visiting manager as dangerous as it was audacious. Pardew claimed he had 'learned his lesson' after pairing Cisse and Demba Ba as a twin strikeforce against Tottenham back in February, with the 5-0 drubbing handed down to his team seeing him play with a more conservative 4-5-1 formation away from home in recent weeks.

However, there was to be no repeat of their London horrors this time, as Cisse opened the scoring with a sumptuous shot after 19 minutes; his goal was as arrogant as it was classy.

The lack of activity in the direction of the Newcastle goal saw substitutes Frank Lampard and Juan Mata warming up on the touchline long before the half-time break, yet Cech needed to be at his best to keep out Ba's screaming shot, before the final act of the first half saw the Senegal striker crash a shot off the woodwork.

Pardew must have anticipated a Chelsea onslaught after the break, yet not even the introductions of Mata, Didier Drogba and Lampard inspired Di Matteo's men until the clock ticked into the final ten minutes. Even then, the home side struggled to raise their tempo to the necessary levels before their hopes were finally dashed by the second Cisse's wonder strike.

"You have to give Newcastle credit," admitted Di Matteo. "They scored two great goals and played very well. Now it's going to be very difficult for us to reach fourth spot, but we won't give up and will keep pushing until the end.

"Looking back over the whole season, we have dropped too many points and that is why we are in the position we are in. Now we have to pick everyone up and try and get going again ahead of the FA Cup final on Saturday. I'm sure we will be fine."

This was a night when fantasy became reality for Newcastle as they downed one of the Premier League's traditional superpowers on enemy territory. If they repeat this performance in their next game in front of a passionate home crowd on Sunday, Manchester City's title party may well go the same way as Chelsea's hopes of a top four finish.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Papiss Cisse. Newcastle's central defensive unit of Fabio Coloccini and Mike Williamson were superb throughout, but Cisse had to take the plaudits for goals that turned a great performance into a winning effort.

CHELSEA VERDICT: A little like their FA Cup final rivals Liverpool the night before, Di Matteo's men turned in a half-hearted performance as they all but surrendered their hopes of a top four finish. They barely got out of the starting blocks as they lacked ideas from the off.

NEWCASTLE VERDICT: Oozing with energy and boasting a player who produced the two moments of match-winning magic, this was a performance to be proud of for a Newcastle unit who wanted the points on offer more than Chelsea. Manchester City will need to be at their best to beat a side whose belief is growing against the top teams in the Premier League.

PARDEW PLAUDITS: In a week when the media have been bemoaning the lack of English candidates capable of becoming national team boss, Newcastle's impressive manager confirmed he could be ready for such a promotion some time soon. His reputation has risen by the week this season and a top four finish would be a remarkable achievement.

This has objectively been one of the best days of my life.

What a fucking fantastic first half. We were chanting "Geordie boys taking the piss" at one point, and that was exactly what the team was doing. Played Chelsea off the pitch for 45 minutes at Stamford Bridge, fucking hell, what is this sorcery!

Second half was predictably dire and I couldn't bear to watch towards the end, but then Cisse just went "LOL I score when I want" and everything was okay.

Got fucking dogpiled at the lower tier because everyone including myself was trying to get to Cisse. Got bruises all over my legs but was too happy to notice till just now.

Fantastic atmosphere towards the end, everyone blistering with positive energy. I'm just happy to have been part of all this. Was class just randomly bumping into MKSC and Greg outside the ground too :lol:

So all in all, a fantastic day.

...can we change the avatars back now? :lol:

Just looking through the pictures of the game:

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/143692260.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588D6459C90A7B541ED8C3E3A1006A75A5153F7C0268D715E9E

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/143692305.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588C8A12F02A3A9238E8C3E3A1006A75A513361A787173E8F40

:kinnear: :lol: