Chelsea 0 - 2 Newcastle United - 02/05/12 - post-miracle reaction from p60

Dave

Just read nearly every page of this thread, don't think I'll get to sleep (craic with oldtype was amazing) :lol:

I can not put in words what that second goal means to the whole geordie nation, after the final whistle against Wigan everyone was gutted, fast forward to tonight, and we're beating Chelsea away. Fucking mental season, never forget it.

Our fans we're excellent down there tonight, hope they enjoy every second of it.

Could Newcastle Even Snatch Third...?

Newcastle bounced back in coruscating fashion from the 4-0 thrashing at Wigan to earn a huge result against Chelsea. The Magpies were unflappable in their first league win at Stamford Bridge since 1986, but we should hardly be surprised in this season of upsets for Alan Pardew's team.

Indeed, Newcastle have been a spanner in the works for many of their rivals in the top half of the Premier League this season, and their victory against Chelsea has seemingly ended the Blues' hopes of finishing fourth. This was the first of three cup finals for Roberto Di Matteo's men, but after losing 2-0 the four-point gap that stands between them and their victors is surely insurmountable with only two games remaining.

Chelsea are not the only team to suffer at the hands of Newcastle's ruthlessness, though. Manchester United were visibly shaken in a 3-0 defeat at St James' Park in January, while Liverpool also had their gentleman's acorns handed to them in a 2-0 defeat at the start of April. If that result heralded the Magpies' arrival in the top six, Wednesday's win could be said to signal a break into the top five, and possibly beyond before the end of the season.

It was a typically resolute display from the Magpies, sprinkled with the brilliance of Papiss Cisse's two magnificent strikes. Fabricio Coloccini and Mike Williamson were again superb in the centre of defence; calm in possession when they could afford to be yet decisive when needed. Coloccini's commanding performance was somewhat expected with the Argentine now established as one of the finest centre-backs in the division, but for Williamson, James Perch and Davide Santon to assist in limiting Chelsea's attack to just three shots on target is some achievement and testament to Pardew's ability to get the best out of the personnel available.

In the midfield, Yohan Cabaye hassled and harried relentlessly, happy to put a lid on his creative tendencies for the good of the cause. By his side, Cheick Tiote was a one-man battering ram in the first half, destroying everything that moved in a blue shirt in a way Scott Parker failed to do in the FA Cup semi-final.

And then there was Cisse, the subject of my new footballing man crush for two phenomenal strikes that took his tally to 13 in his first 12 games for Newcastle. Flanked by Demba Ba and Hatem Ben Arfa, the striker was a constant outlet when the team needed a willing runner in Chelsea's half. The Magpies didn't create many opportunites but relied crucially on making the most of the few that did come their way. Cisse's second strike - surely the goal of the season - was barely even a half-chance, and even Didier Drogba applauded the execution.

The last time Newcastle won a league match at Stamford Bridge, Berlin's 'Take My Breath Away' was at number one in the charts; on Wednesday Cisse provided a solo reprise that will live long in the memory.

With the news that Tiote will have recovered from an injury sustained by a nasty elbow from Mikel to face Man City on Sunday, Roberto Mancini will be worried that his team are the next big scalp for Pardew's spoilers. The Italian was in the crowd at Stamford Bridge and saw enough to know that the Magpies could pose a far more difficult task than Man United's insipid offering on Monday. And with Vincent Kompany serving a suspension after picking up a fifth yellow card, City will want to wrap Kolo Toure in cotton wool for the rest of the week. The idea of Stefan Savic going up against Cisse doesn't bear thinking about. It truly would be brutal.

The only thing crueller than sending Savic to the slaughter is the idea that Newcastle could finish in the top four and miss out on playing in the Champions League if Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final on May 19. After a season of upsetting everyone else, it would be rather unjust for the biggest heartache to be imposed on the Magpies. As Wednesday showed, however, Pardew and his team won't concern themselves with the repercussions of a Chelsea victory just yet. And who knows, if they keep up the form that has seen them win seven of their last eight matches, they might even snatch third.

:sweetjesus:

Truly awesome defensive performance starting from the front whenever they were in possession. The back four were superb.

Nowt much more can be said about the two goals, to say the pub I was in went crazy as the second went in would be an understatement.

The bar had German Sky Sports coverage on and the commentator was adamant that the Mikkel challenge was a definite red card, he was amazed that not even a yellow was shown.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Cheick Tiote doesn't do ambulances.

a reckon Tiote drove the ambulance to the hospital.

Cheick Tiote doesn't do ambulances.

a reckon Tiote drove the ambulance to the hospital.

i reckon tiote was in the ambulance "where are we going ?"...."to the hospital"..."nope. we're going back"...cue cheik throwing paramedics out the ambulance and driving back to the ground

Magnificent performance, win and world class goals. :coolsmiley: I remember listening on the radio to our last league win at Chelsea, back in 86 (the days when you only got 2nd half commentary on Metro) - I was 13 at the time, so it's been a long wait. So typical of Newcastle United to get stuffed at Wigan and then pull off a result like we have tonight. When it comes to NUFC, 'Love is the Drug'. :)

Guest BooBoo

That article says Kompany is suspended, that's incorrect surely? They're thinking five is still a ban.

Yep, it's an error. He'll be playing unfortunately.

That article says Kompany is suspended, that's incorrect surely? They're thinking five is still a ban.

It's Football365, not the most reputable source for facts, but a satisfying read.

Di Matteo reckons Cisse didn't mean the second. Bitter much, ugly f***er?

What does Di Matteo reckon he meant to do? Launch it into the stands? :lol:

Aye, I don't understand it when I read this shit. He goes for goal from over 25 yards with the outside of his foot. What else does he mean to do other than score? These idiots don't even stop to think

I've just fallen for Perch even more after hearing his soft, soothing voice.

Backpack on over both shoulders too, nice.

Aye the backpack is a great touch.

Di Matteo doesn't reckon Cisse meant it. :lol: Aye alright you bitter fucking olive.

Aye with 7 minutes left and us in possession he just went to hoof it out of play and straight to Chelsea.