Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Nationality has zero relevance to this discussion.

It does when it pertains to players with no concept nor experience of the toughest league in the world to defend in. :lol:

He was in direct opposition with a Spaniard and a Frenchman. He was just poor. Nationality counts for zip.

Are you trying to suggest the game isn't played at a totally different pace over here? Wake up.

It does when it pertains to players with no concept nor experience of the toughest league in the world to defend in. :lol:

He was in direct opposition with a Spaniard and a Frenchman. He was just poor. Nationality counts for zip.

Are you trying to suggest the game isn't played at a totally different pace over here? Wake up.

I don't think it had any bearing on tonight's performance no, he was just crap.

I don't think it had any bearing on tonight's performance no, he was just crap.

And has been defensively since we signed him.

Come off it, it's a lazy argument. Debuchy had a nightmare performance because of Mathieu Debuchy, not because of his nationality. He was lazy, disinterested, and clumsy, which has nothing to do with being French or playing in Ligue 1.

Think we've had enough time to judge him now, and he doesn't look a good defender to me at all. He's positionally poor and wreckless, has the acceleration of a wheely bin, and doesn't offer half as much going forward as some would have you believe. When wingers run at him I expect him to give away a free kick or a penalty every single time; his tackling is clumsy as fuck and leaves a lot to be desired for an international full back... Probably the most disappointed I've been by a new signing, expected a lot more from him.

Come off it, it's a lazy argument. Debuchy had a nightmare performance because of Mathieu Debuchy, not because of his nationality. He was lazy, disinterested, and clumsy, which has nothing to do with being French or playing in Ligue 1.

Nothing to do with having no experience of the Premier League? Give over, man.

Nothing personal, you seem like a very decent chap but you just don't understand the difference between English football and whatever laid-back crap you've been brought up on.

He's a crock of s***.

Simpson got loads of stick on here for his floaty crosses but at least he knew his limitations, could defend and quietly got on with the job.

No he couldn't.

he could do a lot better than debuchy could ever hope to do

Nothing personal, you seem like a very decent chap but you just don't understand the difference between English football and whatever laid-back crap you've been brought up on.

Another weak as piss argument. You're full of them today.

Explain then, in all your infinite English wisdom, how MYM hasn't looked nearly as poor to that extent while playing fullback, despite having fewer PL games at fullback under his belt than Debuchy?

Or, why our seasoned English defender of 230+ appearances in English football looked even worse than our French RB until he was mercifully sent-off. Seems to me he doesn't understand English football either.

Just a total liability, should have been another penalty he conceeded today.

Don't think Simpson gave away a single penalty or got a single red card in nearly 100 Premiership games.

Always loved Simpson like, cracking player.

Off the top of my head, Blackburn?

Defensively Simpson was at least passable. On the evidence since he's joined us, Debuchy is a massive liability as soon as an attacker comes running at him. Simpson backed off too much, but Debuchy is the opposite: loves to have a late lunge when he's already beaten for speed and give away daft fouls (penalties). He could have cost us five goals single handedly tonight.

Another weak as piss argument. You're full of them today.

Explain then, in all your infinite English wisdom, how MYM hasn't looked nearly as poor to that extent while playing fullback, despite having fewer PL games under his belt than Debuchy?

Or, why our seasoned English defender of 230+ appearances in English football looked even worse than our French RB until he was mercifully sent-off. Seems to me he doesn't understand English football either.

MYM's just a far better defender than Debuchy, but he's also struggled with English football in his first 6 months. Certainly never looked anything like a captain of a title winning side in the middle of the defence. He has the time and the talent to adapt.

And Taylor looked worse than Debuchy before being sent off? Have a word. Debuchy's been a liability since January.

I've yet to see anything to suggest that he's a better defender than Simpson like; he has a better first touch and passes the ball better, and in that sense is a better "footballer", but defensively Simpson didn't concern me half as much as this lad does. I don't think you can put it down to adjusting to the league either, it's mainly his positional awareness that is his weakest attribute (other than clumsiness), and that general instinct of where you should be standing isn't something that really changes across the top leagues...