Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Think he could flourish with movement and aggression around him. Won't happen under Pardew and we can't afford to carry another striker who's allergic to goals.

Remy will be fine around him, Cisse doesn't compliment anyone up top imo.

I've seen glimpses to suggest he's a good player but he looked like a lame horse out there tonight. No discernable strength aside from not being Shola.

That's enough for me. Never want to see Shola appear for us ever again. Terrible footballer.

Did he even have a shot at goal tonight? His link up play can be good and he's ok at holding the ball up but other than that I really fail to see what he brings. He offers next to nothing in terms of an actual goal threat or provider. I could forgive a second striker who doesn't score but lays on plenty of chances for the main striker but when you're not doing that he's just a waste of a shirt, especially when we have creative outlets like Hatem and Marveaux rotting on the bench.

He did it got blocked early doors.

Fwiw it was probly going in as well.

Really? I always get the impression he's about to burst into tears at the prospect of having a crack at goal.

I think he's a good footballer but he's no goals in him and there's been nowt in his career to suggest he'll get goals at this level either. Improvement on Shola but we need to do better.

Have to agree. It's a shame he's lost that confidence and ability he showed early on at Twente, but based on his performances so far for us, and his time in Germany, it's hard to see him ever being consistently good enough at this level. I expected much better from him, but I stand corrected.

I think he's a good footballer but he's no goals in him and there's been nowt in his career to suggest he'll get goals at this level either. Improvement on Shola but we need to do better.

Have to agree. It's a shame he's lost that confidence and ability he showed early on at Twente, but based on his performances so far for us, and his time in Germany, it's hard to see him ever being consistently good enough at this level. I expected much better from him, but I stand corrected.

I think there's a good player in there but he looks mentally weak. Too happy to sit back on his heels and leave the goal scoring to others.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/vurnon-anita-newcastle-united-can-6882989

Anita is adamant his team-mates must not be distracted by that, but thinks that – unlike Remy – De Jong will probably stay long-term.

“It is still too early to start thinking about the summer and what might happen there,” he said. “As players, none of us are doing that. We have to stay focused on the games that are left, and try to win as many as we can.

“Everybody knows that Loic is very important for us. He makes scoring goals look very easy, and when you lose a player like that for whatever reason, you are always going to be a bit disappointed. But that is not to say that we cannot score goals if Loic is not in the side. I should have scored against Everton myself. It was a fairly easy opportunity to score, and things might have been different if it had gone in.

“Luuk is working very hard to keep the ball and link up play. That is a very important part of the job that he is being asked to perform, and I think he has been doing it well. Unfortunately, the balls haven’t really fallen for him to have a lot of chances, but I am sure they will come before the end of the season and hopefully he will take them. He is settling in well.

“I think Luuk wants to stay beyond the end of the season, and I hope that happens. He is a very good player, and I think he wants to show everyone that.

“He came in January, and right from the start, he has been doing everything he can to prove himself here at Newcastle.

“It would be good for everybody if he could stay past the end of his deal on loan.”

I'd be happy with De Jong for two or three million as Best's eventual replacement (he was an important member of the squad that we never replaced). But there's probably zero chance he'll go for that. I wouldn't shell out on him because he doesn't look like he's good enough to be first choice. But he looks like he could be a useful target man from time-to-time and I dare say there's a goal in him.

I'd take him but only on the basis we were signing someone else, with a bit of pace to replace Remy.

In many respects, you'd have to build an attack around de Jong but it could work out I reckon, with a three up top.

I think he's a useful player to build a move on, he can bring a ball down and bring others into play with a deft touch. I can see him being in the same mental situation as Shearer towards the end of Gullit's reign. In a more attack minded side with genuine width and wing play and playing De Jong facing the goal, you'll get him scoring again. Can I see that under Pardew? Can..I..fuck, nuff said! Move him on for his own good.

I'd rather we went off and took a chance finding a permanent spot for a player like Remy. Someone who is quite quick, good movement, can get on end of chances or fashion ones for himself. Luuk de Jong has looked ok but not a goal threat, we don't need someone who isn't a goal threat up front at all.