Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Guest sicko2ndbest

We got Cisse for 9m

No way is De Jong worth more! Even if he fulfills his potential he's going to be no better than Cisse

We got Cisse for 9m

No way is De Jong worth more! Even if he fulfills his potential he's going to be no better than Cisse

We got Cisse for a stupid price, not many forwards would be going for more than £9m if that was the criteria.

Guest Realist

We're not soft touches, no.  Look at what we picked up selling off Bassong, Martins & co in the relegation year.  Miraculous actually.

That Given situation though ... too much a can of worms to think about tbh.  My only thought is after that letter his position had become untenable, much as Barton's did, and we got rid for what we could. 

Guest taps01

As I've said previously I wonder who the back up options are I'm struggling to think of any strikers we have been linked to recently.

Greedy c***s

Nothing wrong with that. Didn't we reject a 30 million offer for Carroll not so long ago only to see them coming back with 5 million more? I have said earlier Twente are notoriously hard negotiators. If Dekka thought he could just go there and pick their best players up on the cheap he was well mistaken.

Why not? We did with Tiote ;)

We sold one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership to the richest football club the world has ever seen for a mere 6 million, yet you wouldn't call us soft touches in negotiation, would you?

Besides, Tiote was a fringe player for them, Luuk de Jong is there best and most important player by some distance. Hardly comparable really..

I'm not sure the fee for Given was ever confirmed, and there were certainly higher fee's being mentioned, like £8m.  Still not enough for a top keeper (at the time...) but on the other hand he'd handed in a transfer request and that changes things.  If De Jong hands one in £11m would go from rejected to please can we have £11m for him Mr Ashley sir.

Unfortunately I doubt De Jong will hand in a transfer request.

sometimes difficult to take when a player who's been linked so strongly is seemingly drifting away. however, i felt the same re: gervinho, gameiro, maiga, aimar etc. but as soon as whoever comes in, is all that matters. this lad seems like a steal at the money given his record and potential, but i trust our hierarchy to get it right and bring in who will do the job. if he's not within budget, he's not within budget, end of.

I'd actually prefer if we bought a player who can play either side of the front three in a 4-3-3.

That seems to be the system that most of our players are best suited to, so I'm hoping we'll try and add new players with that in mind.

De Jong seems to be more of a central player from what people are saying about him, I'm not sure if he'd fit in as part of our 4-3-3, though I assume Pardew and Carr know what they're doing.

sometimes difficult to take when a player who's been linked so strongly is seemingly drifting away. however, i felt the same re: gervinho, gameiro, maiga, aimar etc. but as soon as whoever comes in, is all that matters. this lad seems like a steal at the money given his record and potential, but i trust our hierarchy to get it right and bring in who will do the job. if he's not within budget, he's not within budget, end of.

Agree with that. They can be criticised for many things but their transfer policy and subsequent dealings over the last few years have been second to none. Praise where it's due and all that.........................

We got Cisse for 9m

Outrageous logic.

Aye. :lol:

We shouldn't have paid 4.5m for Cabaye last summer I suppose. We got a quality player in Tiote for 2.5m, no reason to ever pay more than that for a CM again!

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Clint Dempsey would be perfect for our 4-3-3 but he's probably too old for our policy. Shame.

Dempsey is the style of player we should be looking at, definitely.

Clint Dempsey would be perfect for our 4-3-3 but he's probably too old for our policy. Shame.

I'd love Dempsey but as you said too old for us and probably cost too much as well

Dempsey does have less mileage than European players his age. Still has 3-4 very good years left in him, imo. Also the kind of player that will be able to change his game when his legs don't hold up so much.

But I think Fulham will price him a little too high.

If we offer ten mil then walk away i'm happy enough with that. The publicity that comes with it reinforces how NUFC deal and will help us in the future when negotiating. And i'm sure there are targets number two and three we'll move on to.

Guest BooBoo

It's a non starter... Fulham have lost Pavel, AJ, and Zamora all since January so can't see them letting one of their last forwards go...

:anguish:

Can't blame them really, there are supposedly a number of other clubs interested and the transfer window has barely got going. It's very early to be accepting any offer for one of your star players.

If they don't get a better offer as the summer goes on I'm sure our cash offer will begin to look more and more tempting, but will we retain an interest? I would expect we will tbh.

I'd actually prefer if we bought a player who can play either side of the front three in a 4-3-3.

That seems to be the system that most of our players are best suited to, so I'm hoping we'll try and add new players with that in mind.

De Jong seems to be more of a central player from what people are saying about him, I'm not sure if he'd fit in as part of our 4-3-3, though I assume Pardew and Carr know what they're doing.

De Jong will have played in a front 3 for most of his footballing education and all of his time in the first team at Twente. Last season was the first time he has been the main central striker, having played in the wide areas previously. Having somebody who can play flexibly and naturally in a front 3 while also being a main centre forward would be far better option for us than finding somebody who can just play wide, IMO, particularly when we're thin on the ground in terms of genuine strikers in January.

As i mentioned earlier, how good is this Narsingh lad? Whilst we're in Holland....

A great talent, who apparently has his mind set on joining PSV. A proper right winger with a good cross, but he's not as "ready" for the Premiership as Luuk de Jong undoubtedly is.

With Best going we've now basically got one striker (that I think we can all expect to definitely be here at the start of the season) that is capable of starting matches. Excited to see who else we bring in.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

De Jong will have played in a front 3 for most of his footballing education and all of his time in the first team at Twente. Last season was the first time he has been the main central striker, having played in the wide areas previously. Having somebody who can play flexibly and naturally in a front 3 while also being a main centre forward would be far better option for us than finding somebody who can just play wide, IMO, particularly when we're thin on the ground in terms of genuine strikers in January.

Yep. We need someone who is equally adept in both areas. As much as I'd like a player such as Hoilett, a player similar to Dempsey would be a better addition, one who has the ability to play both roles.

Ba and Cisse gone in January of course, only Shola as the available recognised striker as it stands at the moment.