Douglas

BONTEMPI

Strange though, we've been linked with him for ages haven't we? After all that, and Pardew virtually confirming that he's a player we'd like, you'd think we'd already know about his character etc. They always say it's a big part of their assessment.

James Perchs performance v Spurs saved us €5.5m

I wonder if this is the way it's being viewed.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Good as our CB options, perhaps we think we can get by.

Personally feel fullback and another attacker are more pressing needs, especially fullback. A CB would have been nice though.

Hasn't he made some comments in the past suggesting he wasn't massively interested in coming here? Possibly a reason for our apparent lack of action?

In all honesty, if he's not going to buy into what we're about I'd rather we looked elsewhere. Hopefully that's what we're doing rather than not looking at anyone.

If we don't match the offer then hopefully it's a case of us deciding we're not interested in the player anymore as opposed to us "missing out".

If he goes there we're missing out, it's as simple as that..

Not really.

Yes really

Nah.

Hasn't he made some comments in the past suggesting he wasn't massively interested in coming here? Possibly a reason for our apparent lack of action?

In all honesty, if he's not going to buy into what we're about I'd rather we looked elsewhere. Hopefully that's what we're doing rather than not looking at anyone.

:thup: Fulham are probably in a stronger position than us anyway; if he goes there he'd more or less be a guaranteed starter, whereas here he'd have to settle to playing second fiddle to Colo and Saylor.

Strange though, we've been linked with him for ages haven't we? After all that, and Pardew virtually confirming that he's a player we'd like, you'd think we'd already know about his character etc. They always say it's a big part of their assessment.

£4.6m is a big fee for a player in his last year. I can see why we won't pay it, especially since we've had doubts about his character. This lot are a good bunch of lads, all likeable, we need to make sure we keep brining in players like that.

Question: what if a player is quality but is a total arsehole and could disrupt the harmony of the squad, do we go for him? I'm not saying Douglas is, I really don't know, but sure someone was saying something about him not so long ago (Dutch source)

If a player we've been tracking for some time (playing in a position we've identified as needing cover/competition for), and made an offer for this summer goes to a rival club not in Europe for £4.5m then I'd say we've definitely missed out tbh. The only way for us not to have would be to sign someone else instead.

I suppose it depends how keen we were on him in the first place.

Edit: didn't realise about his contract situation.