Cardiff City 4 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/08/12

Guest BooBoo

HBA,Cabaye,Ba and Cisse all rested. This has me really worried for next week :(

Miles Starforth ‏@milesstarforth

According to #nufc, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse and Ba have stayed behind on Tyneside to 'work on their fitness'. All should be fit for #thfc.

Chillax  O0

HBA,Cabaye,Ba and Cisse all rested. This has me really worried for next week :(

Miles Starforth ‏@milesstarforth

According to #nufc, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse and Ba have stayed behind on Tyneside to 'work on their fitness'. All should be fit for #thfc.

Chillax  O0

Still would've loved them to get some gameplay! pulse is abit better now though :)

It's also to judge how good players are in a more competitive environment. Club reckon that Cabaye's fitness is better served at the club than at the game, if they're confident they'll be ok for Spurs then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Is worrying I agree for match sharpness but they're great players, Cabaye always gives his all, should be alright.

Isn't the whole point of friendlies to work on fitness? Completely worthless if we're mainly playing squad players.

Tbf, there's a high chance that the 4 playing today will be playing in the Europa League in a week and a half so it's just as important to have them match-fit and sharp.

I´m not really worried about our "big guns". But what is worrying me is that we haven ´t improved one bit. Simpson is still holding down the rb. Raylor is still basically first reserv too our midfields option. Jonas is still playing wide. Obertan is playing all the time, and if our Africans are away we have fucking Shola as our striker.

Goodness me..

Give it a rest man. You've not stopped moaning all pre-season.

Isn't the whole point of friendlies to work on fitness? Completely worthless if we're mainly playing squad players.

Tbf, there's a high chance that the 4 playing today will be playing in the Europa League in a week and a half so it's just as important to have them match-fit and sharp.

Those 2 games will be competitive friendlies. Knowing our first few league games, we should be completely focused on them.

Guest BooBoo

Pretty concerning line up. Today should have been about starting our strongest XI. Instead we have our four most potent players all not involved.

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

Ryan Taylor has started the game in central midfield, Jonas just behind Shola Ameobi in attack #nufc

Weird.

Why not just start Amalfitano, Gosling or Vuckic who are all on the Bench.  :dontknow:

To be fair to the important players who have been left behind for fitness, they played with the majority of our squad last season, I don't think they really need to 'gel' as such. If they're not quite fit or are tired following the Euros or having the ACN last season and potentially this season then so be it. Gives the youth and backups a chance ahead of an important season for them what with rotation likely to play a much bigger part this time around.