Alan Pardew

Dave

It is when you get injuries and suspensions that you see how good a manager you have. Pardew was found wanting when it happened to us, so much so that he actually lost us points due to his incompetence..see Reading.

I'd be looking to upgrade in the Summer.

Why do people post this? Aside from it being blindingly obvious that it's what you'd 'want', it's near enough the least likely thing to ever happen. :lol:

Just picture people posting it, then reclining and thinking to themselves, 'Yeah, I've made my point there. This is how shit's going down.'. All with a smug, self appreciating grin on their face. :lol:

:thup:

nailonhead.gif

Why do people still want him gone? ok at the time of Reading it sort of made sense but since then its been great, he deserves a chance to prove himself with the players at his disposal.

Not sure if anyone's noticed but we have lost just once in 6 games since the signings were made, and  honestly that game was to probably the most in form team in the country at the moment where we had one of our best players injured half way through. ( Gouffran) A misunderstanding between Colo and Taylor leading to their 2nd goal.

We could have easily got a result that day if things went differently and if we did we would be laughing, there was a period where i wanted him gone because i didn't think he could turn it around but the new signings has gave anyone renewed optimism and that includes the manager.

Also before Stu mentions it and i know he will, yes the return of Cabaye, Saylor and Tiote too !  :laugh:

On top of all this i don't know about the rest of you, but the style of football has been alright too IMO.  ;)

It is when you get injuries and suspensions that you see how good a manager you have. Pardew was found wanting when it happened to us, so much so that he actually lost us points due to his incompetence..see Reading.

I'd be looking to upgrade in the Summer.

Why do people post this? Aside from it being blindingly obvious that it's what you'd 'want', it's near enough the least likely thing to ever happen. :lol:

Just picture people posting it, then reclining and thinking to themselves, 'Yeah, I've made my point there. This is how shit's going down.'. All with a smug, self appreciating grin on their face. :lol:

nailonhead.gif

Absolutely. It's a pointless debate we're having here as there is virtually no chance Pardew will be leaving in the short-term (I'd say October/November this year would be the earliest his position will come under scrutiny and that would only be after a calamitous set of results).

With the help of these signings, he looks as if he's about to turn what looked a doomed situation around. Coupled with the changes he's made to our formation and the decreasing amount of long-balls, I think he's now deserved the chance to prove himself again. We saw last season that his approach can get us results. The reason we won so many games by the odd goal etc. was partly because of his negative/defensive/backs-to-the-wall set up. It may not be pretty, we may not ever like it and I for one do not think it's a good way to approach the game. But if it can get us results again, with a bit more quality in the team, I'm willing to see him have a crack next season.

Another period like the one we experienced between November and the Reading game and that's it. Especially with the backing he's got now.

Newcastle United 0 - 1 West Ham United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Swansea City

Southampton 2 - 0 Newcastle United

Stoke City 2 - 1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan Athletic

Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 3 Manchester City

Newcastle United 1 - 0 Queens Park Rangers

Manchester United 4 - 3 Newcastle United

Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton

Norwich City 0 - 0 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Reading

That really shouldn't have happened :lol:

It's interesting the fine margins we're talking about here between Pardew being considered successful (or not). Forgetting about injuries etc. I'd say we only  had four very bad games in that run (West Ham, Southampton, Fulham and Reading). Swansea I didn't think we were great but I thought we were unlucky to be hit on the break for the second goal when we were really pressing them for an equaliser, Stoke we were OK and got caught by two late goals, City always going to be tough, Man U we played some great stuff but then got beat in the last minute, Arsenal we again played some great stuff for 70 minutes and then unfortunately fell apart (can be partly attributed to Arsenal not playing on Boxing Day I think) and then Everton not amazing but beaten by 1 goal by a top 7 team.

Am I happy with what happened during that run? No. But I do think that Pardew probably wasn't far off picking up a few more points during that run.

I think Pardew has done a good job of integrating the new players very quickly. Our performances (ie not just the results) have been completely transformed. He must be doing something right there.

As to whether we should have ended up in that position - that's another matter. I think Pardew made a mistake in persisting with Ba when it was clear that he was looking for the opportunity to move on, and was effectively dictating terms to Pardew in the meantime. He should have been given the message in the summer that he plays where he's picked or he moves on. It wasn't as though the partnership with Cisse was looking that great anyway.

We could also say that the Board (and perhaps Pardew as well) were blinded by the 5th place finish and didn't take action early enough to strengthen the side.

Whatever, Pardew has shown some ability to turn things round very quickly and has to be given far more time to move things forward. The next transfer window should offer the club a really good opportunity.

Pardew didn't dare piss Ba off because he wasn't convinced the club would replace him. Same reason why Ameobi was refused permission to go to the Africa Cup of Nations. Pathetic really, hope we've seen the end of that shit.

Pardew didn't dare piss Ba off because he wasn't convinced the club would replace him. Same reason why Ameobi was refused permission to go to the Africa Cup of Nations. Pathetic really, hope we've seen the end of that shit.

Good point . And if he felt that way, why wouldn't the fans feel any different and therefore be worried about what was impending ?

I'm not so sure. I think it was a misjudgement borne of over-confidence in his abilities. He thought he could manage a situation that was actually not manageable. The better decision would have been to cut one's losses early.

I mean, he actually promised Ba, in public, that he'd play 90% of his games down the centre. It can't be right for a manager to be publicly dictated to by a player like that. That's aside from whether it was the right decision in football terms.

Newcastle United 0 - 1 West Ham United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Swansea City

Southampton 2 - 0 Newcastle United

Stoke City 2 - 1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan Athletic

Fulham 2 - 1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 3 Manchester City

Newcastle United 1 - 0 Queens Park Rangers

Manchester United 4 - 3 Newcastle United

Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton

Norwich City 0 - 0 Newcastle United

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Reading

That really shouldn't have happened :lol:

It's interesting the fine margins we're talking about here between Pardew being considered successful (or not). Forgetting about injuries etc. I'd say we only  had four very bad games in that run (West Ham, Southampton, Fulham and Reading). Swansea I didn't think we were great but I thought we were unlucky to be hit on the break for the second goal when we were really pressing them for an equaliser, Stoke we were OK and got caught by two late goals, City always going to be tough, Man U we played some great stuff but then got beat in the last minute, Arsenal we again played some great stuff for 70 minutes and then unfortunately fell apart (can be partly attributed to Arsenal not playing on Boxing Day I think) and then Everton not amazing but beaten by 1 goal by a top 7 team.

Am I happy with what happened during that run? No. But I do think that Pardew probably wasn't far off picking up a few more points during that run.

On the flip side we were unfairly given a penalty against Wigan and them a man sent off, we were 10 minutes from a draw at home to QPR and a late Grant Holt header away from defeat at Carrow Road. It works both ways.

:thup: Alan Skarare

I said at the time that I understood why he was doing it, it was still the wrong thing to do though, 100%.

Guest Dontooner

Pardew didn't dare p*ss Ba off because he wasn't convinced the club would replace him. Same reason why Ameobi was refused permission to go to the Africa Cup of Nations. Pathetic really, hope we've seen the end of that s***.

I'm not so sure. I think it was a misjudgement borne of over-confidence in his abilities. He thought he could manage a situation that was actually not manageable. The better decision would have been to cut one's losses early.

I mean, he actually promised Ba, in public, that he'd play 90% of his games down the centre. It can't be right for a manager to be publicly dictated to by a player like that. That's aside from whether it was the right decision in football terms.

I saw that decision one of the worst he made , and thought he was a moron to under state the team for just one selfish player.

Some of his loyalty showings are just too much, it was not like we sold Ba for 70 Million pounds.

Pardew gets over criticised for te Ba situation.  He saw Ba as the main man and positioned him as such.  That is what you do with your star players. Partly, it was to help convince Ba to stay but Ba was justifying it with his performances.

We all forgot that he actually dropped Ba unfairly at Everton. Ba comes on, scores twice and gets us a point by himself. At that moment, Ba was #1 in Pardews mind and he saw how vital Ba was. Clean sheets and Demba Ba goals was the foundation of last seasons success lets not forget.  Can't blame him for trying to get back to that. 

Didn't work. Fair enough. But it wasn't horrible management by any shot. 

Pardew gets over criticised for te Ba situation.  He saw Ba as the main man and positioned him as such.  That is what you do with your star players. Partly, it was to help convince Ba to stay but Ba was justifying it with his performances.

We all forgot that he actually dropped Ba unfairly at Everton. Ba comes on, scores twice and gets us a point by himself. At that moment, Ba was #1 in Pardews mind and he saw how vital Ba was. Clean sheets and Demba Ba goals was the foundation of last seasons success lets not forget.  Can't blame him for trying to get back to that. 

Any time someone puts the individual over the needs of an entire team its horrible management.

Any time someone puts the individual over the needs of an entire team its horrible management.

Aye and I think many of us are in agreement that fitting Ba centrally made the team suffer even though he himself performed fantastically. The problem wasn't really Ba but rather Pardew's reluctance to choose between him and Cissé, resulting in the horrible 4-4-2 with long-balls being our only way forward, or Cissé on the wing where he's horribly rubbish. So either way you look at it, Pardew really didn't get it right and should be blamed for the situation in my opinion.

Had Pardew managed to structure his team in a way that allowed us to play football properly, we might have seen a side playing well with Ba in it.

Don't believe that for a second personally.

Demba Ba was like our Bale, RVP, Suarez. Match winner, you put your match winners where they will be most devastating fr the team. Pardew thought that was Ba not Cisse. That's all. I dot think Cisse should've been wide either.

The logic is clear and it makes sense. When we have no rhythm, focus on keeping clean sheets and Demba Ba will most likely score a scruffy goal.

We look a far better outfit and far more likely to score goals post-Ba. Just saying.

Although many will counter that statement with the new arrivals, I think you make a good point.

The chemistry of the team looks better post Ba, and the general "meh" type reaction to such a brilliant player's departure probably indicates most fans knew that already.