Alan Pardew

Dave

Thing is, AVB has come in and replaced a very popular and to be honest, successful Spurs manager, and has also lost some decent players from that era, yet has them probably just out performing Redknapp's side, and all in his first season too. Tactically he's well ahead of his predecessor and has more about him. They are more boring the watch under him and far more lets say, pragmatic, but they are effective and creative, certainly enough to win games regardless of the opposition. If he gets into the CL, the way Spurs are ran money wise, I can see him improving them even further and perhaps even replacing Arsenal as a CL certainty.

Dembele, Sigurdsson & Dempsey for Modric money was good business. Plus Vertoghnen. With Caulker and the fullback with Prem experience. They are a better side this year imo but are in more or less the same position as last year. Which tbh was a good job. Without the Redknapp media circus they would've finished 3rd last season and they should finish 3rd this season too.

I just don't understand how Redknapp is crap and AVB is brilliant that some people think despite similar results. AVB maybe better in the long-term, he likes youth and rotation more but atm he's not shown much in the PL to show he's better than Redknapp. I think the rotation will mean they will be strong in the cups this year and next though.

All 3 of them are shite tho. Dempsey is past it. Siggy will go down as a half season wonder and Dembele fiddles around too much on the ball and then passes it to the least dangerous player. :lol:

I assume this has been posted somewhere but couldn't see it.

Schneiderlin thanks Pardew for urging defensive focus

The 23-year-old has the most tackles in the Premier League this term and interceptions of anyone in the top five European leagues to his name, and says his former boss is behind it

"He was the one saying to me to improve on my defensive skills," he told The Daily Echo.

"He was the one who was telling me 'come on, you need more tackling.' So, thanks go to him and his words every day saying that to me."

:lol: with this and other quotes recently I feel we need a Pards equivalent to the "we won the passing"

Guest Dontooner

Harry team's play possession football in build up to attacks and AVB is more like Mourinho that likes to play on the counter. (Although Mourinho has much more to his game)

Possession Football uses Traditional CF's such as Ade much better, with counter attacking team's its no wonder Defoe is performing like he does.

Its just the style of play that is bringing out the best in the players, just look at how Chelsea is so much more cautious and under performing under Rafa when Di matteo had them playing much more feel flowing football but was tactically more naive.

Tbh AVB is tactically a much better manager than Harry. When Spurs Broke down last season, it wasnt a case like us when they were under performing and were put on the back burner by the teams they were playing with.

Spurs were playing well with possession but found it hard to score goals and leak some silly goals as well.

It was more down to Harry tactically been too one dimensional and had  less up his sleeves.

Top Managers play possession and counter attacking football in different matches, Tactically winning in those matches are the key to the constant results.

Just use Madrid as a example , played dominating football to Man United and had to play counter attacking football to Barcelona. The bottom line was both style and tactics were performed at a very high level by the same coach, it no wonder he is winning things.

This is where Pardew is way behind all the coaches being mentioned , he tactics are aweful and his decisions are not incisive and often debatable.

Good managers make decisions that might make you sick but shut you up later with the results from performances. Usually those decisions are base on their preferences on the style of the team and not on the loyalty of the players.

AVB has potential and is only 35, he looks like he is making some good decisions , just needs to work on how to break down teams when they sit deep.

Harry's teams don't really have a style do they? He really just tells the players to go out and play.

But they do. It's focused around letting the better players do their thing. VDV in spaces to pass great balls and shoot, Ade to hold up and bring others in, Bale-Lennon use their pace. BAE-Walker natural overlap etc. Parker et al. hold it all together. It is more "free" but the style of Harry's Spurs was distinct.

His Spurs where better at home because they where encouraged to do their thing. AVB is more rigid, so they've sometimes looked toothless at home because there's more parameters. Away they're better than at home because they're built to counter.

Harry team's play possession football in build up to attacks and AVB is more like Mourinho that likes to play on the counter. (Although Mourinho has much more to his game)

Possession Football uses Traditional CF's such as Ade much better, with counter attacking team's its no wonder Defoe is performing like he does.

Its just the style of play that is bringing out the best in the players, just look at how Chelsea is so much more cautious and under performing under Rafa when Di matteo had them playing much more feel flowing football but was tactically more naive.

Tbh AVB is tactically a much better manager than Harry. When Spurs Broke down last season, it wasnt a case like us when they were under performing and were put on the back burner by the teams they were playing with.

Spurs were playing well with possession but found it hard to score goals and leak some silly goals as well.

It was more down to Harry tactically been too one dimensional and had  less up his sleeves.

Top Managers play possession and counter attacking football in different matches, Tactically winning in those matches are the key to the constant results.

Just use Madrid as a example , played dominating football to Man United and had to play counter attacking football to Barcelona. The bottom line was both style and tactics were performed at a very high level by the same coach, it no wonder he is winning things.

This is where Pardew is way behind all the coaches being mentioned , he tactics are aweful and his decisions are not incisive and often debatable.

Good managers make decisions that might make you sick but shut you up later with the results from performances. Usually those decisions are base on their preferences on the style of the team and not on the loyalty of the players.

AVB has potential and is only 35, he looks like he is making some good decisions , just needs to work on how to break down teams when they sit deep.

Difference for me is, they're not any better than last season. I think the England thing affected Spurs but I do agree they needed something else from Harry in that period that he can and will never possess. They did finish 4th though.

Harry does adapt to games and teams, we've seen that at QPR. But the QPR team atm can't play on the front foot.

Spurs have won the same amount of games at home as us. They've had a fair few draws at home. Being a counter attacking side has meant means they can be toothless a bit at home. I don't think that's any better than Harry's "strict" possession based approach.

I do agree that Harry's style suited Ade much more than Defoe for the reasons you described though.

I believe R Madrid are over reliant on counter-attacking. If they go behind to a top side, they'll struggle. Mourinho was out-foxed by SAF. It was not a bad result but it wasn't good for them. Slight advantage to Fergie.

AVB does have time to learn but you say "he just needs to learn how to break teams down when they sit deep" but their style is against that. It will be very difficult.

I don't think Pardew is as bad as is made out. He misses things we see but strikes where we don't but doesn't get the credit. His subs are poor though. He's better than both Harry/AVB at manahing squads morale.

Guest Dontooner

Harry's teams don't really have a style do they? He really just tells the players to go out and play.

He does have a style , its evident since his Portsmouth's days. The players just don't go and and play like we do in the park , they are instructed to pass and move in shape and shift possession around hence their better possession.

Currently at QPR he trying the same style but is not working because the team has less technical players, one distinctive thing about QPR now is that they are not trying to scrap for wins  but still trying to build attacking play. Well its due to Harry style that they are not lumping into the box at every opportunity.

Guest Dontooner

Difference for me is, they're not any better than last season. I think the England thing affected Spurs but I do agree they needed something else from Harry in that period that he can and will never possess. They did finish 4th though.

Harry does adapt to games and teams, we've seen that at QPR. But the QPR team atm can't play on the front foot.

Spurs have won the same amount of games at home as us. They've had a fair few draws at home. Being a counter attacking side has meant means they can be toothless a bit at home. I don't think that's any better than Harry's "strict" possession based approach.

I do agree that Harry's style suited Ade much more than Defoe for the reasons you described though.

I believe R Madrid are over reliant on counter-attacking. If they go behind to a top side, they'll struggle. Mourinho was out-foxed by SAF. It was not a bad result but it wasn't good for them. Slight advantage to Fergie.

AVB does have time to learn but you say "he just needs to learn how to break teams down when they sit deep" but their style is against that. It will be very difficult.

I don't think Pardew is as bad as is made out. He misses things we see but strikes where we don't but doesn't get the credit. His subs are poor though. He's better than both Harry/AVB at manahing squads morale.

Harry focuses on his own team style for attacking , however when the other team turtles he might lack the research to break the other team down.

Mourhino focuses on both aspects of defending and tactically breaking the other team down.

Pardew according to him focuses alot on defending but he should not be mention in the same sentences with these managers. The Calibre for now is too stretched. I do hop he get a 2nd to help him....not sure Tino is the guy.

Thing is AVB's teams don't set up to counter, if any of you watched Porto in the EL you would see they were a possession team.

He is just adapting to the players he has, long term they won't be anything like counter attacking.

Oh and AVB is nothing like Mourinho, the two are polar opposites the only similarities they have is they both managed Porto and both happen to be from Portugal.

AVB is more like Guardiola in his principles, i'm actually quite surprised he has changed his style to fit the players he has at Spurs but fair play to him for doing so as they probably would have struggled if he did.

Anyway back to Pardew now?  :laugh:

Thing is AVB's teams don't set up to counter, if any of you watched Porto in the EL you would see they were a possession team.

He is just adapting to the players he has, long term they won't be anything like counter attacking.

Oh and AVB is nothing like Mourinho, the two are polar opposites the only similarities they have is they both managed Porto and both happen to be from Portugal.

AVB is more like Guardiola in his principles, i'm actually quite surprised he has changed his style to fit the players he has at Spurs but fair play to him for doing so as they probably would have struggled if he did.

Chelsea didn't. Didn't watch much Porto. Spurs certainly do.

Spurs where very strong at home under Harry. Better than they are now. they certainly knew how to break teams down

Guest Dontooner

I have watched his time at Porto as well, they didn't had to play counter attacking football as much however his ball passing and retention style is pretty much the same. The only difference was that at Porto the league was much slower and allowed time for more possession on the individual, it was this exact thing that he had a hard time at Chelsea trying to set up the same way to play in the Portuguese League. However he has always being a more defensive 1st coach, working on the opposition attack before defense.

Personally i don't see him being like Guardiola and Mourinho, He doesn't Value possession as much like Guardiola and doesn't play like Mourinho. its still difficult to tell since his style is evolving, at the moment its more Italian in my eyes.

I have watched his time at Porto as well, they didn't had to play counter attacking football as much however his ball passing and retention style is pretty much the same. The only difference was that at Porto the league was much slower and allowed time for more possession on the individual, it was this exact thing that he had a hard time at Chelsea trying to set up the same way to play in the Portuguese League. However he has always being a more defensive 1st coach, working on the opposition attack before defense.

Personally i don't see him being like Guardiola and Mourinho, He doesn't Value possession as much like Guardiola and doesn't play like Mourinho. its still difficult to tell since his style is evolving, at the moment its more Italian in my eyes.

Thought his Chelsea side was too attacking. Pressed too high.

Guest Dontooner

Well i would classified it more like trying to be attacking, as it was very none fluid. Since his Chelsea team was none fluid and leaked goals , he shifted to be more defensive and still it didn't work out well. As Fat Sam said , he learn the league and adapted since Chelsea, can't say the same for Martinz at Wigan, still trying too hard with his style it might end up in tears.

Guest Howaythetoon

Redknapp's sides do tend to play good football but its not free flowing stuff ala Arsenal or us under KK or Bobby, and they often put in turgid performances especially away from home. His Pompey side was extremely dull to watch at times for example. Redknapp is actually underrated as a tactician though, his sides could defend and shut out the opposition. He's a good manager is Redknapp but he needs a lot of money and the right environment for things to work. AVB as I've already said has a lot of substance about him, you feel he can succeed wherever he goes. Spurs play some very good football. At times against us they were like us under Sir Bobby, direct, fast and very dangerous either down the flanks or centrally.

Spurs of this year have played no better than the Spurs of last year, pre-slump.

At their best they had a very good Bale/Lennon wide, Modric spraying passes to them. Adebayor linking it upfront and VDV causing havoc in the whole. They did this for 9-10 games in a row. This side, as a whole, hasn't hit those heights consistently but are 3rd. scary really.

Harry put togetehr an excellent counter-attacking team at Pompey.

Spurs of this year have played no better than the Spurs of last year, pre-slump.

At their best they had a very good Bale/Lennon wide, Modric spraying passes to them. Adebayor linking it upfront and VDV causing havoc in the whole. They did this for 9-10 games in a row. This side, as a whole, hasn't hit those heights consistently but are 3rd. scary really.

Harry put togetehr an excellent counter-attacking team at Pompey.

Unfortunately he counter attacked them all the way to bankruptcy

Wait they're no better than before they had that slump? So he basically get's exonerated of a drop in form that cost them the champions league, and not one tied to an injury crisis iirc?

Redknapp is a decent motivator who players like playing under cos they're given decent freedom. He can do alright, but also if he loses the team he doesn't offer much. Pardew is fairly similar, not great tactics wise, good man manager though.

What turns Redknapp into a grade a w***** is his willingness to talk about buying other clubs players constantly to the press, and the press's resultant hardon for him. He also is apocalyptic in the signings market.

Wait they're no better than before they had that slump? So he basically get's exonerated of a drop in form that cost them the champions league, and not one tied to an injury crisis iirc?

Redknapp is a decent motivator who players like playing under cos they're given decent freedom. He can do alright, but also if he loses the team he doesn't offer much. Pardew is fairly similar, not great tactics wise, good man manager though.

What turns Redknapp into a grade a w***** is his willingness to talk about buying other clubs players constantly to the press, and the press's resultant hardon for him. He also is apocalyptic in the signings market.

The season's not over. If they finished 3rd, then aye they improved. At the moment, they're in the same spot as last year at this time. I think the England stuff and the court case stuff had an effect too tbh, as well as Redknapp running out of ideas.

My point is, the best people say about Redknapp is that he's "decent" here, "alright" there when he did a FANTASTIC job at Spurs. Almost Sir Bobby-esque turnaround. Won at the San Siro iirc. But the team does the same thing more or less and AVB's the man? Don't buy it.

FWIW, I think Spurs may win a trophy due to AVB rotating the squad more.

Agree on the last point. Levy didn't like Harry's style in the transfer market and AVB will definitely be better in that regard because he prefers youngsters.

Spurs lost two of their best players in the summer, so if they manage third or fourth, I'd say that's a very good achievement for AVB.

Dembele's been great. Sell Modric for 30 and getting Dembele for 10 was great business. They got Caulker and Naughton back from loan ready to push on. Signed a world class keeper. Dempsey, the Scouse german lad & Sigurdsson to boot. Vertoghnen has the potential to be immense imo. Stronger squad this year than last. They basically added 3 first team defenders to the fold. A truck load of central and attacking midfielders.

Last year, they struggled for options when players form went. This year they have great cover in defence particularly.