Alan Pardew

Dave

I really don't know what Pards gets out of his tactics apart from a bit of safety (but even the goals against is ridiculous). Earlier in the thread someone was saying even the new players will go to shit after a few months of Pardball and I can hoenstly see that happenning.

Guest Howaythetoon

Keep it civil please.

Fuck off

;)

Nah you're right, just riles me how people can't seem to read what people are saying.

I'm not massively displeased with anything Pardew did today (ie. today in isolation). Thought his team selection was fine and it was one of the occasions were we started out of the blocks pretty quickly (a phenomena I can count on my hands this season) for which he deserves credit. His pre-match comments about revenge for last season impressed me also.

The injury to Debuchy really threw us, and encouraged them. They also got a goal off some horrible "defending" from Santon.

I can certainly understand the viewpoint that it was enough to derail us/encourage them, and to an extent I'd agree, but I do think that in a moment like that (and the subsequent injury to Haidara), it really exposes a team's true level - insofar as they revert to what they know/are comfortable with - their default setting, if you will.

Under Pardew, their default setting hasn't been very good if we're honest. It's been a scatter-shot, supremely optimistic "strategy" of playing in Ba, then Cisse early. It's an attack which is comprised of straight lines which at all times point forwards, and at all times are easily telegraphed by opposing defences - if not always dealt with.

Sometimes, the quality of the balls played is enough to let these passes come off - but the balance of probabilities is generally stacked against us when we try to break down a team like this. The additions of Gouffran and Sissoko have added new attacking qualities which have been very encouraging - attacking midfielders/wing-forwards who can run at defences with pace and power. The past few games these runs have begun to operate in straight lines too, sadly. I hope it isn't too indicative of things to come.

I think some fans are happy to see us run/graft and that's fine for them - what will be, will be. Some days you will get the rub of the green, others you won't. There is only so much can that be done, basically. Other fans, I think, are frustrated with the misuse/unfulfilled potential of our resources, and that's where all this aggro/hostility towards between the two sides emanates from.

I fall into the latter category. I want us to win/be successful/play good football. Others are IMO overly-concerned with other fans thinking they are deluded for believing there is more we can achieve than squeezing a top 10 finish here and there. I'm convinced our squad can do more, I'm convinced better football can be eked from the squad and I believe better results will follow if/when this is done. I won't be happy until it does, and I'm sure that will wind a lot of other posters up :lol: This is not my intention. I don't think Pardew can get us playing good football, that's all.

I don't understand the rationale/evidence behind any assertion to the contrary, based on what we have seen in his managerial career so far (here or elsewhere).

But for a second shocking referee decision, we'd have got a point today. A results that many of those complaining said they'd accept before the game. His much maligned subs changed the game in our favour.

It was, however, a largely shite performance against a fresher team, who move the ball about well. It's probably our first truly 'bad' performance since Villa away. If you can't accept that a team will have bad games (especially on the back of a hard fought game three days previously), and feel it should cost a manager his job. Well, there's not much hope for you.

Regardless of the result or performance, he'll be panned by the usual crowd.

And excused by the usual crowd. He shouldn't lose his job for having a bad game, he should lose his job because the team plays like shit more often than not.

I really don't know what Pards gets out of his tactics apart from a bit of safety (but even the goals against is ridiculous). Earlier in the thread someone was saying even the new players will go to shit after a few months of Pardball and I can hoenstly see that happenning.

:thup: It's upsetting watching quality players with good movement and drive get dragged down. It's no mystery why players beginning their career with us are looking the best players. Pardew hasn't coached their ability out of them yet.

Shit referee or not, we weren't good enough today. And it's been a recurring theme all season. We can piss and moan all we like about McManaman's 'challenge', the fact of the matter is it was still 11 vs 11 and with our injuries we should still be competing against Wigan. But instead we played like we have done all season. No gameplan going forward, gifting the initiative to Wigan with our utterly useless 'passing style'.

I'm not massively displeased with anything Pardew did today (ie. today in isolation). Thought his team selection was fine and it was one of the occasions were we started out of the blocks pretty quickly (a phenomena I can count on my hands this season) for which he deserves credit. His pre-match comments about revenge for last season impressed me also.

The injury to Debuchy really threw us, and encouraged them. They also got a goal off some horrible "defending" from Santon.

I can certainly understand the viewpoint that it was enough to derail us/encourage them, and to an extent I'd agree, but I do think that in a moment like that (and the subsequent injury to Haidara), it really exposes a team's true level - insofar as they revert to what they know/are comfortable with - their default setting, if you will.

Under Pardew, their default setting hasn't been very good if we're honest. It's been a scatter-shot, supremely optimistic "strategy" of playing in Ba, then Cisse early. It's an attack which is comprised of straight lines which at all times point forwards, and at all times are easily telegraphed by opposing defences - if not always dealt with.

Sometimes, the quality of the balls played is enough to let these passes come off - but the balance of probabilities is generally stacked against us when we try to break down a team like this. The additions of Gouffran and Sissoko have added new attacking qualities which have been very encouraging - attacking midfielders/wing-forwards who can run at defences with pace and power. The past few games these runs have begun to operate in straight lines too, sadly. I hope it isn't too indicative of things to come.

I think some fans are happy to see us run/graft and that's fine for them - what will be, will be. Some days you will get the rub of the green, others you won't. There is only so much can that be done, basically. Other fans, I think, are frustrated with the misuse/unfulfilled potential of our resources, and that's where all this aggro/hostility towards between the two sides emanates from.

I fall into the latter category. I want us to win/be successful/play good football. Others are IMO overly-concerned with other fans thinking they are deluded for believing there is more we can achieve than squeezing a top 10 finish here and there. I'm convinced our squad can do more, I'm convinced better football can be eked from the squad and I believe better results will follow if/when this is done. I won't be happy until it does, and I'm sure that will wind a lot of other posters up :lol: This is not my intention. I don't think Pardew can get us playing good football, that's all.

I don't understand the rationale/evidence behind any assertion to the contrary, based on what we have seen in his managerial career so far (here or elsewhere).

One of the best posts I've ever read on this forum in my long lurking history.

Absolutely spot on and sums up my thoughts, only a lot more eloquently  :lol:

They are coaching to keep shape and contain wth little movement and rask taking. The other night Jonas was stood regularly between our two centre halves waiting for their players to run at them. Adam Cambell came on and instead of being on the shoulder of their last man was sat deep wathcing the runs of ther right back. Against ten fucking men. People say what a good team they were and what a great result and they would be right. But blimey did we make hard work of it.

That was the one cross that was of any use and the man who can do it stuck it away. Given the opportunity. We are so dour and inhibited that when the fates stac against us like this with piss poor decisions; it only ever goes one way. I was a massive factor no doubt but we don't do ourselves any favours.

Guest Howaythetoon

I really don't know what Pards gets out of his tactics apart from a bit of safety (but even the goals against is ridiculous). Earlier in the thread someone was saying even the new players will go to s*** after a few months of Pardball and I can hoenstly see that happenning.

When Pardew sits down and analysis this performance this will be his thoughts...

"Well the lads worked really hard, we had a tough week and we was robbed of not only two of our full-backs but also their winning goal was a hand-ball and they should have been down to 10 men. If the ref had done his job, we would have went on not to lose that game and maybe with a bit of magic even win it as Pappis has been dangerous of late and is in good form."

Then he'll go into training and work on defending and talk about shape, tracking back, pressing, winning those loose balls, getting it forward early, hoping Cisse scores a belter, Cabaye get a chance on the edge of the box with a free-kick or Mousa breaks free from deep etc. etc.

There is no game plan, no system, no nothing.

Today, Marveux whips in a cross to no-one. The camera pans to Pardew who starts writing down some tactical bull s*** for a minute or so. What the f***? Honestly. What possesses someone to reach for the notebook when a player whips in a s*** cross? He's a fraud man.

Guest Dontooner

I really don't know what Pards gets out of his tactics apart from a bit of safety (but even the goals against is ridiculous). Earlier in the thread someone was saying even the new players will go to s*** after a few months of Pardball and I can hoenstly see that happenning.

He is already aggressively applying those changes now, pure frustration to see talented players play like shit and do well internationally. What a joke

Guest icemanblue

HTT comes out with the same guff every game, regardless of the result. If we've won, people laugh and post memes. If we've lost, they all agree. :lol:

Deflection and straw men, take a break.

The fuck you on about, like? It's a post made in isolation to everything else.

'Take a break', man. Honestly. :lol:

The argument about results vs performances is an interesting one. Ideally you want both, after that results obviously come first. Last season I'd say our results were better than the performances. This season clearly neither have been good enough. It seems though that for some people results are pretty much all that matter, which puzzles me. I watch and go to the matches to see enterprising, entertaining football and hopefully for us to win. Stoke are above us in the table and yet surely nobody would want Tony Pulis in charge, or Sam Allardyce again.

We were robbed of a point today, but that doesn't mean the performance was good enough.

I don't see anybody arguing that he performance today was in any way 'good'. It was what it was, a tired, disjointed performance, owing to a physically demanding game three days previously and a freakish succession of injuries.

What have all our other shit results this season been down to then? Are they all down to other factors? At what point does the talent of the manager start to overcome these factors or do we actually need a season like the last one where everything goes our way (bar one or two decisions) for us to have a good season? (or even a decent season?)

Such outrageous ideological bollocks. Also seem to have created an imaginary fanbase that is only concerned with 'graft'.

Had too many beers to deliver an opposing viewpoint succinctly, but aye, rubbish.

Guest icemanblue

The argument about results vs performances is an interesting one. Ideally you want both, after that results obviously come first. Last season I'd say our results were better than the performances. This season clearly neither have been good enough. It seems though that for some people results are pretty much all that matter, which puzzles me. I watch and go to the matches to see enterprising, entertaining football and hopefully for us to win. Stoke are above us in the table and yet surely nobody would want Tony Pulis in charge, or Sam Allardyce again.

We were robbed of a point today, but that doesn't mean the performance was good enough.

I don't see anybody arguing that he performance today was in any way 'good'. It was what it was, a tired, disjointed performance, owing to a physically demanding game three days previously and a freakish succession of injuries.

What have all our other shit results this season been down to then? Are they all down to other factors? At what point does the talent of the manager start to overcome these factors or do we actually need a season like the last one where everything goes our way (bar one or two decisions) for us to have a good season? (or even a decent season?)

:lol: Another one!

:thup: It's upsetting watching quality players with good movement and drive get dragged down. It's no mystery why players beginning their career with us are looking the best players. Pardew hasn't coached their ability out of them yet.

Abolutely bang on. The best games Gouffran and Cissoko had for us were their debuts, now they are just sinking into the general ineptness of a standard Pardew team. I've never seen so many decent footballers look so bemused in possession of the ball.

They are coaching to keep shape and contain wth little movement and rask taking. The other night Jonas was stood regularly between our two centre halves waiting for their players to run at them. Adam Cambell came on and instead of being on the shoulder of their last man was sat deep wathcing the runs of ther right back. Against ten fucking men. People say what a good team they were and what a great result and they would be right. But blimey did we make hard work of it.

That was the one cross that was of any use and the man who can do it stuck it away. Given the opportunity. We are so dour and inhibited that when the fates stac against us like this with piss poor decisions; it only ever goes one way. I was a massive factor no doubt but we don't do ourselves any favours.

However we line up most of the game we play 451. I see gouffran and marv regularly in our half helping out instead of offering an outlet near or godforbid over the half way line. :lol:

One CLASSIC giveaway of his tactics is you never see him doing the PUSH UP signal that most PL managers spend half the game doing. Even in posession we very rarely go to more than a 7/3 -6/4 split and that inc an overlapping fullback.

Has any of our midfleders scored a goal from inside the box this season? I can only think of a couple.

However we line up most of the game we play 451. I see gouffran and marv regularly in our half helping out instead of offering an outlet near or godforbid over the half way line. :lol:

One CLASSIC giveaway of his tactics is you never see him doing the PUSH UP signal that most PL managers spend half the game doing. Even in posession we very rarely go to more than a 7/3 -6/4 split and that inc an overlapping fullback.

Has any of our midfleders scored a goal from inside the box this season? I can only think of a couple.

He talks in interviews about having switched to all these formations and it doesn't match with what has happened. :lol: Its all speculation but I've seen little this season to say with any degree of certainty whether we would have got 3 points; refereeing decisions aside. We just don't attempt to attack with conviction.

You can answer it if you want, that smiley doesn't really say anything. Or you can say that me, or HTT, or anyone else just say the same thing all the time to try and get us talking about posters rather than Pardew? Or you can misrepresent loads of people's posts,  such as suggesting that people want him sacked for a few bad performances that are down to certain circumstances?

Or answer the points made, or take a break.

He talks in interviews about having switched to all these formations and it doesn't match with what has happened. :lol: Its all speculation but I've seen little this season to say with any degree of certainty whether we would have got 3 points; refereeing decisions aside. We just don't attempt to attack with conviction.

I know now he will never drop Guti even if his legs fall off.

Guest icemanblue

You can answer it if you want, that smiley doesn't really say anything. Or you can say that me, or HTT, or anyone else just say the same thing all the time to try and get us talking about posters rather than Pardew? Or you can misrepresent loads of people's posts,  such as suggesting that people want him sacked for a few bad performances that are down to certain circumstances?

Why answer it, man? You've got yourself all wound up, and you sound a bit daft. I'm 'misrepresenting' posters on a forum to deflect criticism from Pardew? Why would I, or anyone, do that?

Honestly, you've come online and quoted three of my posts in succession when I've left the debate. You're well aware of my position and thoughts on the matter (they're still pretty similar to the 6 months). This is bizarre.

Why answer it, man? You've got yourself all wound up, and you sound a bit daft. I'm 'misrepresenting' posters on a forum to deflect criticism from Pardew? Why would I, or anyone, do that?

Honestly, you've come online and quoted three of my posts in succession when I've left the debate. You're well aware of my position and thoughts on the matter (they're still pretty similar to the 6 months). This is bizarre.

I don't feel wound up. I wasn't aware you'd left the debate, I thought we all posted one after the other? I quoted your posts because they interested me, isn't that what you do?

I can't offer an answer to why you'd name check other posters and misrepresent arguments, just seemed that way. If you've left the debate, that's your prerogative :thup:

Great post  :thup:. The bit in bold is what it ultimately boils down to- I don't want to look back in a few years remembering Pardew as the man who failed to realise the potential of a great squad of players, which I believe we have (especially in light of the january additions).

Wigan looking superior to us today in terms of ball retention, movement and attacking fluidity wasn't anomalous- this has been the case practically all season, whoever we have played.