Everton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 17/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 57

Dave

This is excruciating to watch. Without exception, theyve all been fucking horrific.

Santon has been okay. Mainly because he spent most of the half watching the play from the opposite side of the pitch. :lol:

Steven Taylor has been our best player. Not saying much I know.

Can the head in the sand gang please wake up and realise that there's more than the formation that's wrong.

The players just don't look arsed. The front three behind Cisse have been bloody awful.

Spot on.

No real presence in midfield without Tiote.

Krul saves that all day long btw.

Absolutely. The goal looked good but it's awful from a defensive point of view. No pressure, no challange, then Harper tries to save it in installments, woeful.

There was no chance for Harper.

He should have got something on it. No doubt.

Marveaux off, Ba on, 4-4-2 and go back to basics. Think tonight just goes to show that if players aren't performing, the system is irrelevant.

Nothing against you here, but it's funny really.

If Pards had gone with 4-4-2 people would have been crying out for 4-2-3-1.

They're at home against a depleted defense, dominate possession, and only lead 1-0. If we were in that position I'd be a little worried about not making the opposition pay.

It was bad, but with Krul it might be 0-0 and we had two legitimate chances to score. Could be much worse - hopefully we give a better showing in the 2nd half.

That's the worst 45 i've seen from us since the relegation season. We're going to really struggle this year...

Agreed. Can't quite understand what's happened to the team.

Cabaye in particular has been a joke all season and today is his lowest point, embarrassing performance. Not that Jonas or Anita have been any better mind.

That's at the heart of our problems today. Also, when you play someone like Cisse up front, who can't scrap for balls on his own, you have to rely on the wider team to be fluid and keep the ball that way. Well even at our best last season we never did that, and we don't seem to have the guts or organisation to sit back and hit on the break either.

Desperately poor from Pardew, but amazingly we're only a goal down and have created some solid chances. Put a rocket up their arse and we could still get something.

Giving them far too much respect, Jonas and Anita are often playing in defence when they have it in midfield. It's fucking Phil Neville and Leon Osman in there, not Xavi and Iniesta.

Feel a bit bad for Marv, worst type of game to be thrown in to. He needs replacing though.

Can the head in the sand gang please wake up and realise that there's more than the formation that's wrong.

The players just don't look arsed. The front three behind Cisse have been bloody awful.

Spot on.

Its true, no desire, no fight, like as if we need just to show up and we'll win.

What happened to the team from last season?

Defensive disarray. Not closing them down quickly enough whereas they're all over its when we're in possession.

However, the weather conditions are pretty bad. Get the feeling they might have been playing with the breeze this half and wouldn't be surprised if we look much stronger in the second half.

Our three "first names on the teamsheet" missing tonight isn't helping mind.

This is the crux of it for me. We can be as self-deprecating as we like, but Everton are fantastic atm. Without any destroyer in midfield, and no interceptor (is that a word?) in defence...well.. that :sad:

Marveaux off, Ba on, 4-4-2 and go back to basics. Think tonight just goes to show that if players aren't performing, the system is irrelevant.

Nothing against you here, but it's funny really.

If Pards had gone with 4-4-2 people would have been crying out for 4-2-3-1.

That's sort of my point. Think the players need to have a look at themselves. Regardless of the fact we've been long-ball, Cabaye, Anita & Marveaux in particular have been awful.

We never played 433 at Spurs.

Aye, we played 4-4-2 at Spurs and at Fulham we had Best on the left and Shola upfront with Guthrie in midfield.

Hardly representation of a failing system, in any case tonight's problem is not even bother to press them when they have the ball and Williamson keeps hoofing it to Cisse completely by passing the midfield.

If we don't press teams and hoof then we are going to struggle no matter what.

There's no point playing a system like this if your going to completely bypass the midfield.

Ah, that'll be it then. Nothing to do with not having an outlet up top who can keep possession..

We don't have one though, i'm not sure what your getting at.... with the players we have it makes much more sense to pass through teams like how Everton are doing to us.

Just by passing Jonas, Anita, Cabaye, Marveaux and Cabaye is idiotic and goes against the strength of the team.

You went all summer saying we shouldn't be in for Carroll and 4-3-3 would be a perfect fit.. :lol:

4-3-3 is a perfect fit, if we actually use the strengths of the players and pass through teams and not completely bypass the midfield.

If this is the plan for Pardew then i agree Carroll would have been good but i didn't know this.

Have to agree I'm absolutely baffled by our insistence on the long ball mind.. :lol: