Marítimo vs Newcastle (20/09/12) 6pm KO - Live on ESPN

ponsaelius

Not p*ssed off at all

The fans who've gone there probably will be.

Why? Pardew has made it clear that he plans to use squad players for Europe especially with 3 games in 7 days. I'm sure the fans who booked knew they couldn't expect to see a full strength team.

There's a difference between not full strength and just playing the reserves though.

Well not sure what you were expecting 3 days after a difficult away trip at Everton and a home game coming up on the Sunday. I certainly never expected to see the big guns on show. Happy for the squad players to be giving game time to improve and push for starting roles.

The better team we put out at home against Atromitos almost got us knocked out so I'm a little bit concerned.

I've said previously I was really excited to see some of our young players getting a chance so it's not all bad. Signing a few more players in the summer would have pushed us safely through the group of course.

No it didn't. They had a good chance to level the scoreline but shot wide. It was a s**** performance, for sure, but don't let the aching desire to be cynical at every possible turn make you rewrite history.

They could/should have scored that chance and should have a penalty. That's not being cynical (yawn).

If we're talking about should've/would've/could've - we had a dozen chances to kill the game but didn't. I could just as easily say "the better team we put out against Atromitos nearly scored six before the break".

Whatever, anyway. I think we'll beat Maritimo because there's still plenty of quality in the squad - even if it the amount of youngsters does provoke irritated memories regarding the transfer window.

Could be a masterstroke if this(these) is(are) their chance(s) for the players to make a claim for a first team spot. Would love to see Campbell score

Regarding us sending "reserves".

Not too bothered with it. If we're not going to invest heavily - which we clearly are not - we need to nurture the talent we have. They are not going to get their chances in the Premier Leauge. However, this is good opposition to blood them against. The club's policy is to bring in lots of youngsters and promote from within. I'm all for giving Sammy, Vuckic, Bigi, Abeid, Tavernier, Ferguson, Campbell and Streete their chance here, rather than play Ba, Cabaye and Jonas.

They'll be better for it, they'll be hungry. We'll send in the heavy artillery if we fail miserably in the opening games. I'm still confident that this lot can get a result there.

Decent post, though I'd substitute 'moderately' rather than heavily.

Remember Pardew's comments about the players enjoying that season and European competition because it wouldn't come around often? They ring very true now.

Our lack of depth will be horribly exposed here. Was hoping that either Ba or Cisse would come and at least provide a massive threat up front.  Cisse seems to be prone to illness recently too.

Anyway, I'd go with Disco's team, but I'd start Romain ahead of Gabby as  I think Obertan is way better as an impact sub. I think Pards will bring Fergie, Obertan/Sammy, and Campbell on.

0-0 now imo. Solid enough defense and holding midfielders for us to keep a clean sheet, but Shola alone doesn't fill me with confidence.

Shola alone doesn't fill me with confidence.

Standard Shola and you might have something to worry about but this is European Shola, second only to mackem-slayer Shola in devastating effectiveness.

If Sammy proves to have the same likeness as his brother for foreign destinations we could be onto something special...

Our lack of depth will be horribly exposed here. Was hoping that either Ba or Cisse would come and at least provide a massive threat up front.  Cisse seems to be prone to illness recently too.

Anyway, I'd go with Disco's team, but I'd start Romain ahead of Gabby as  I think Obertan is way better as an impact sub. I think Pards will bring Fergie, Obertan/Sammy, and Campbell on.

0-0 now imo. Solid enough defense and holding midfielders for us to keep a clean sheet, but Shola alone doesn't fill me with confidence.

No doubt Obertan will start after being "fantastic in training" and angry on Monday. He's nailed on to play 90 mins.

Baseless guesswork time! I think we'll see something like this:         

Harper

Anita    Williamson    Perch  Santon

Bigirimana    Gosling

Obertan        Amalfitano      Marveaux

Shola

With Ferguson and Sammy to come on depending on how the game is going.

I don't really see why Ba couldn't have played some part. On the one hand he's complaining that he's not starting games up front, then when Cisse's out Ba gets left behind as well. He didn't play a full game against Everton, so why not give him a half in Europe?

Harper

Tavernier Williamson Perch Ferguson

Obertan Bigirimana Gosling Marveaux

Amalfitano

Shola

Gonna need a big performance from Ameobi Sr. here imo. I'd quite like to see Sammy and Campbell get some minutes too.

I don't really see why Ba couldn't have played some part. On the one hand he's complaining that he's not starting games up front, then when Cisse's out Ba gets left behind as well. He didn't play a full game against Everton, so why not give him a half in Europe?

He refused to travel.

/Fox Soccer