How much enjoyment do you get from watching NUFC?

bowlingcrofty

Last season was brilliant, absolutely brilliant

this season is

:okay:

Apart from the 7 game run towards the end where we settled on a 4213 system that worked, there's been no change in performance levels.

It's baffling that we found a system that worked, and dropped it for no other reason than Ba getting in a huff.

DIsagree that we were the same first half last season, it's not we played great footy, we played pretty direct, but we were very very resilient at the back and we went up other end and scored pretty frequently, and it was good fun. Stoke away was a highlight of that style. We then had a period when we lost our way for a while and played bit like this, but I don't like this revisionism that we weren't a good side for first half of last season. We were very tough to break down and Ba was incredible, like he still is.

The difference now is that we're riding our luck to keep people from scoring.

I always look forward to matchday and I do enjoy seeing us line up in those Black and White stripes and play a game of football. Pride and passion certainly have something to do with it.

The level of enjoyment I actually get from watching a game does, of course, depend on our performance. If we lose/draw but had put in a good performance then I can say I enjoyed that game and I would applaud the players for their efforts (such as Wednesday night against Man U); if we win but the performance was dogshit, then questions/issues do get (rightly) asked but I can usually live with it, especially if we see an improvement in our play subsequent weeks/games.

Then there's the simple ones: if we're losing but are losing horribly, I mentally switch off; if we win and are winning brilliantly then fantastic days await.

Last season was brilliant, absolutely brilliant

this season is

:okay:

Apart from the 7 game run towards the end where we settled on a 4213 system that worked, there's been no change in performance levels.

It's baffling that we found a system that worked, and dropped it for no other reason than Ba getting in a huff.

DIsagree that we were the same first half last season, it's not we played great footy, we played pretty direct, but we were very very resilient at the back and we went up other end and scored pretty frequently, and it was good fun. Stoke away was a highlight of that style. We then had a period when we lost our way for a while and played bit like this, but I don't like this revisionism that we weren't a good side for first half of last season. We were very tough to break down and Ba was incredible, like he still is.

The difference now is that we're riding our luck to keep people from scoring.

Everton, Fulham, Villa, Bolton, Wolves, Norwich, SMBs, Wigan, QPR (all home games) last season weren't 'quite fun', they were games that I didn't enjoy watching, but we did enough to win. Those games could easily have gone the other way.

Honestly can we just have one performance sometime soon where the team all clicks, we win comfortably and think through harder times, yes this is a team that if it works can do great things? It's the same players...but this team seems not a patch on the one that demolished Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea second half of last season  :(

It used to be fun and enjoyable to watch, but most of the games this season have infuriating to watch , when Ben Arfa seems to be the only playing and no one else seems to care, pointless balls to the strikers, poor crossing, pointless shots from range, and you get Pardew's weird obsession with 442.

Probably just a knee-jerk reaction though :lol:

Difficult question.

I live a couple of hours away and i was a season ticket holder for a lot of years, now being a non season ticket holder it's much different. Part of me wishes my entire week would hinge on saturdays result, because when we won it was amazing. But obviously there's the other part that's glad i'm removed from it due to the lows, and prolonged shite like the start of this season.

When you're going every week, and we're winning fuck me it's unbeatable!

At the moment a lot of it is just sheer frustration as we really do have our best team for a long long time, yet it's not being used anywhere near to its potential. The blame for this falls down to Pardew.

Guest Sophie S

I always look forward to matchday and I do enjoy seeing us line up in those Black and White stripes and play a game of football. Pride and passion certainly have something to do with it.

Just that.

I'm not good at watching football on telly, it's too nerve wrecking. Sometimes I just have to turn it off and just check the results later. But good thing I'm a ST holder, as I actually do enjoy every game at home. They might be frustrating at the time, and I agree that we are currently not playing the football we could, but looking back would I want to miss any of the home games this season or last season and not go again next time? No, because I do enjoy seeing the team on the pitch and me being able to support them.

Well said. How did that old Sky Sports ad go? Part of our history, part of our culture and it will be part of our future. Something like that anyway. Admittedly a lot of it these days revolves around the people I see on match days, but I'd still go without all that.

To a real supporter it's a bit like family, you enjoy their company most of the time, enjoy watching them grow up and change but just like family there'll be plenty of heartache and ups and downs.

The stadium we play in, it's atmosphere and it's location bang in the middle of a wonderful city is a constant positive but what we do on the pitch is an eternal variable.

Overall, I can think of few clubs who would be more fun to support, assuming you're not just a plastic success seeker of course.

I still think we're a very fun club to support, because unusual things seem to happen to us to keep us on our toes as supporters.  Since we've been promoted, you have the 6-0, 5-1, 4-4 games - all pretty incredible in their own right, you have some absolute moments of magic from Ben Arfa, 2 of the best purple patches in Premier League history from Ba and Cisse, turning the tables on Liverpool after they signed 2 of our best players, the 3-0 vs Man Utd (it's very rare they get turned over so emphatically), the comeback vs Everton after we got murdered first half, etc.

I don't enjoy watching most matches at the moment though, it has to be said.  Bit annoying because it's what I look forward to all week as well.

I feel frustration more than anything because I do feel we have some very special players at the club right now but watching us play is sometimes like watching an Allardyce team. Goals come from individual brilliance rather than well constructed football. Although I do appreciate that our defensive work is better than in a long time, it seems to have taken priority over everything else.