How much enjoyment do you get from watching NUFC?

bowlingcrofty

I enjoy the European games because we try to pass the ball around far more in these games. I'm not sure if that's because some of the younger players come in or the team in general has been given more licence to keep to short passing moves.

NUFC are like a lass that strings you along. They reel you in then piss you about, it's been that way for me for over twenty years.

They show a bit of leg and you get all excited, then over the course of a couple of months your enjoyment wanes. I live about 3 hours away, and when i was going every week it's usually when the weather turns cold that i start to qeustion my faith. Couple that with poor performances and it's a double whammy. Why do i spend an entire day, six hours in a car to watch this shite?

Then BOOM, they'll pull something out of the bag. I specifically remember beating Liverpool at home years ago, 2-1 with Nobby Solano penalty as the confidence restorer. My faith was at it's lowest ebb but the lass flashed her fanny and i'm horny as hell again! :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I haven't enjoyed any match this season, aside from against Bordeaux and that (imo) was because of how easy to play against they were.

It is all part and parcel of having football as a hobby, though, isn't it? I mean, long periods of not enjoying the football - that's the way it is for all but a handful of money-blessed, CL playing clubs.

It is all relative, though. You lot had an amazing season last year, and I think any comparative grimness this season feels worse because it's happening in the shadow of last season. For me, watching us, last season was genuinely like having to go for root canal work every week. This season, results are poor, but there's more entertainment.

It's all cyclical, really.

FWIW, regarding yesterday, a good mate of mine is a West Ham fan, and was telling me he's totally knocked it on the head this season, despite them doing well, the whole Big Sam / Kevin Nolan / boot it to Carroll thing has been the last straw.

I bet it isn't though. We always end up coming back, don't we? And they know it, which is why they can (financially) take the piss out of us and get away with it.

Honestly, from a french point of view, i can't understand how the players and the coach can't see that the tactic is not appropriate to the players in each line.

cabaye is like a number 10/8, totally useful in a box to box mieldfield

ben arfa has no support in the middle of the ground, only simpson.

We play Hoofball to demba ba, but he is not good to keep the ball back to the net, and who makes the pass? Williamson, aka the non footballer/ give the ball to krul it's more safe.

We start to create always with williamson/taylor who have no vision at all...yes to see simpson who lmakes a long ball

yesterday was so frustating.

The last few years have been very entertaining. This year not so much, but once Ben Arfa runs down the line, then its enough to get me excited time and again.

Everything from relegation to last season has been a hell of a ride. This year is like going back to the kiddy pool.

We're not going to get relegated or anything, but it's just so safe and boring and unremarkable. I suppose I might get more excited once we hit the UEFA knockout stages.

It's like sniffing your fingers after itching your arsecrack; horrible when you consider the reality of what you are experiencing but you still can't help yourself.

FFS :lol:

In a strange way it's a beautiful description. :lol:

The last few years have been very entertaining. This year not so much, but once Ben Arfa runs down the line, then its enough to get me excited time and again.

Everything from relegation to last season has been a hell of a ride. This year is like going back to the kiddy pool.

We're not going to get relegated or anything, but it's just so safe and boring and unremarkable. I suppose I might get more excited once we hit the UEFA knockout stages.

This. Last season was such a ridiculous high. This season has been painful - the best for me was opening day at Legends Pub in NYC watching with some 50+ fellow supporters and the place going mental for Ba and HBA's goals.

It's like sniffing your fingers after itching your arsecrack; horrible when you consider the reality of what you are experiencing but you still can't help yourself.

FFS :lol:

In a strange way it's a beautiful description. :lol:

Came quite close to putting that in the not sure if gusta thread the other day. :sweetjesus: :scared:

Got to be honest, I usually derive more satisfaction from all the associated benefits of being a Newcastle supporter (this place, crack at work, badge on the hat being a talking point when I'm out in the mountains, etc etc) than the actual football :lol:

I had a season ticket for years but worked out fairly quickly that I usually enjoyed the day less after the end of Local Hero :)

Agree with this. It's ironic how in terms of 'enjoying Newcastle', less than half of that enjoyment has come from the matches themselves. Being a post-Keegan supporter, i've experienced nothing other than the eras of: Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan's second departure, Shearer, Kinnear, Hughton and Pardew. On average, there has been more time spent being depressed/angry than being ecstatic.

I'm not complaining - we've obviously got it a hell of a lot better than a lot of clubs. I'm just pointing out that there's more to being a fan than the football itself; it's the identity and the feeling of belonging. There's a million and one strands to supporting Newcastle (or any club) that make it enjoyable, before you consider 3-5pm itself.

As for watching the football itself; it's obvious. When things are going well, it's great. When things are going bad, it's shit.

EDIT: I'm just plagiarising Sir Bobby, really. :laugh:

To be honest, I probably wouldn't still be supporting NUFC, or at least not to the same intensity, if I hadn't discovered this place.

It's a shame that the football section is like a fucking wake whenever we're not playing well, but it's still one of the most wonderful places on the internet.

So yeah, I blame everything on you guys.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't still be supporting NUFC, or at least not to the same intensity, if I hadn't discovered this place.

It's a shame that the football section is like a fucking wake whenever we're not playing well, but it's still one of the most wonderful places on the internet.

So yeah, I blame everything on you guys.

Surely your trips over (you've been to a few games, haven't you?) are what has cemented the support, as opposed to here?