Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Swansea - 11/17/12 -post-match reaction from page 29

Beren

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm not arsed, but I'm totally resigned to a season with mediocre results and shit performances leading to a fairly poor league position that there's a certain degree of apathy setting in for me now.  Don't think we'll go down or be in any great danger (touch wood) but there's nothing to see here, with regards to our season.  I think it'll kick off next summer mind, can see a few of our better players wanting to leave and who can blame them?

I feel the same. Usually after a loss I can hardly even think about it, but I've had no problems with this one. I've just become numb to what happens until something changes in the league. Still enjoying Europe though.

No point rating the players because the performance comes from Pardew and his shocking tactics. Ben Arfa tries to break free of them and can look good, but unless one of our players produces a moment of brilliance off their own back, we're f***ed. Starting Sammy was a ridiculous decision. No where near ready, and might never be. He should have been sent out on loan and given a run of games in the Championship or League One to test him, rather than experimenting in the Prem. Ferguson as well, so one dimensional. If not their faults though, that's the standard they're at. A combination of lack of investment and terrible tactics has totally wasted last seasons progress. So so predictable its frustrating.

This sums it all up perfectly - a long and increasingly difficult season lies ahead and its not going to be pretty....

Sometimes I wish I didn't have such an emotional investment in football. Just getting along happily doing something then I remember the result and it pisses me off again.  :lol:

It's mad that grown adults put so much into a game and get so little out of it most of the time.  I’m probably one of the few that have seen the club win a trophy in my lifetime and that is pathetic when you look at some of the clubs who have won trophies.

I genuinely feel sorry for the people who have never had the chance to experience what it’s like and we’re unlikely to see that change for a while.  I’ve brought my kids up to support Newcastle and I sometimes feel that by doing so I’ve ensured that they’re in for a life which consists of misery every week or two.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have such an emotional investment in football. Just getting along happily doing something then I remember the result and it pisses me off again.  :lol:

It's mad that grown adults put so much into a game and get so little out of it most of the time.  I’m probably one of the few that have seen the club win a trophy in my lifetime and that is pathetic when you look at some of the clubs who have won trophies.

I genuinely feel sorry for the people who have never had the chance to experience what it’s like and we’re unlikely to see that change for a while.  I’ve brought my kids up to support Newcastle and I sometimes feel that by doing so I’ve ensured that they’re in for a life which consists of misery every week or two.

I feel similar about Spurs tbh, although maybe generally more positive :lol:. My big advantage now is that I live in the US, so I immediately have some emotional distance I can hide behind (minimal media coverage, most people round here don't give a fuck, not surrounded by Arsenal supporters). My girls will play football, but can support the Columbus Crew - far less emotionally draining.

Of course, I live near Cleveland and so now have to support their accursed teams, but that's another story. At the worst, I have several other sports I can use to distract me from a loss.

Guest firetotheworks

We can't even kick ourselves tbh. We would if we had lost during a purple patch or been unlucky. We were thoroughly and deservedly beaten and should have lost against WBA.

Yes, spot on Mick - hard to see where the prospect of silverware is ever going to come from and many clubs with lesser support have done so in the years since we did.

Sobering thought is that my son is now 13 years older than I was when we lifted the Fairs Cup in 69......he was also introduced to NUFC by me - talk about the sins of the fathers being visited on the son...!

As long as we have the current regime and management it is hard to see this changing and I think many fans have secretly accepted this as the status quo....

Suppose we had that good spell for the first ten minutes of the second half.  Just befor they scored  :hmm:

Though I'm sure Pardew will work on our defensive frailties over the coming week, I think ironically a lot of our defensive problems are routed in our poor attack.

Swansea broke time and time again with acres of space in behind our defence. The only reason the defence had advanced that far up the pitch was because of a lack of a defined attacking strategy of our forward players and midfield. So the defence pushed up to try and attack through overwhelming numbers rather than our naturally attack-minded players trying to open them up with pass and move.

The result was we were over-exposed and vulnerable defensively.

Some of the people around me booing when Routledge came on :facepalm:

I'm glad he got a ripple of applause, all ex players don't have to be booed

I applauded him on and when the booing started and the applause was quite good when he eventually ran on to the pitch.  Most people around me were booing him when he first got up then clapped him which was strange.

A win would have put us level with Spurs as well :anguish:

Yeah. We've been a bit shit, but i've taken a bit of solace from the fact we're done with Man U, Man C and Arsenal away, as well as Chelsea at home. I can't remember- which of those have you played so far?

A win would have put us level with Spurs as well :anguish:

Yeah. We've been a bit s***, but i've taken a bit of solace from the fact we're done with Man U, Man C and Arsenal away, as well as Chelsea at home. I can't remember- which of those have you played so far?

Chelski, Man U, Liverpool and you lot.

Reflecting on the game I'm not sure I'm as negative about it as others on here.

It was another fairly uninspiring performance but there are a few points I'd make:

1. Our confidence looks totally shot. Apart from a ten minute spell at the start of the second half we really didn't look confident at all when we had the ball. Defensively we also look massively fragile this season where as last season we looked really solid.

2. I don't really see an enormous difference (apart from confidence) in performance between this season and the majority of last season. There was a spell towards the end of last season where we brilliant but I'd argue for the majority we were successful by being defensively solid and grinding results out. The difference yesterday was that Krul made a silly mistake (the type of which was rarely seen last season) and that left us chasing the game which saw us caught on the break for the second. Had we not conceded the first goal from an individual error I honestly think we might have ground out a rather unattractive 1-0 win.

Frustrating that we got beat but I think with a few players back we'll start to pick up results and hopefully performances will follow on from that.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Routledge who was miles f***ing better than the sideshow act we bombed him out for.

Routledge + cash for Obertan has to be up there with our worst ever deals!