Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 45

Dave

Two biggest disappointments about today are not having placed a huge bet on Brighton to win when the teams were named and not witnessing Lee "Freak" Probert run into a goalpost and suffer a career ending injury.

We may be scraping the barrel in terms of who's in the side but Newcastle United fans deserve better than that whoever is playing.

I watch enough sports to recognize a team that has quit on their coach

Complete lack of leadership on the pitch, none of them looked like they gave a single solitary f***.

Thats how I see it. We are going over the cliff with Pardew in charge.

He LOOKED on the interview as if he knew it too, and hadn't a clue what to do about it

Complete lack of leadership definitely sums it up for me, that and what appears a lack of real desire is a very dangerous combo.

Guest Phil K

Why not get an old head in to organize the defence ? I recall donkeys years ago Boro did it with Venables - and it WORKED.

Stone and Carver don't seem to be contributing anymore than any of the other fans at a game (or before) when we need it most.

A coach perhaps ? We damn well need GOOD ones. Pardew and co clearly aren't capable when the heat is on. And it's on NOW all right.

.....any chance of borrowing Chrissy Hughton ?  :whistle:

His team treated a lower league team with utter contempt and efficiency. EXACTLY the opposite of Pardew's approach.

Oh, and:

We knew the game was important, because we have the core of our team still to come back. We had no Coloccini, no Cheick, Papiss or Demba. We knew if we could get through it with all that coming back, it would arm us. But unfortunately it got away from us.

We wonder whether Alan Pardew will return to Tyneside a relieved man after what looked to us like a successful attempt to reduce his side's fixture programme for the remainder of the season.

Pardew's approach to cup games sickens me, especially this season when he moans about the Europa League, a competition we all dreamed of being in following our relegation. Cup games, especially the domestic cups, are part of the season, they're competitive games and should be just as serious as league games, arguably more so for us given how long it's been since Newcastle won a domestic cup. If we need to be put out of the FA Cup to help our league form then it shows just what a shambles Pardew has made this team become.

Is Pardew really suggesting that today's tactics were to keep it tight for 70 mins (as if) and then unleash Marveaux? Must of the side today were pedestrian at best. The hoof ball from Krul and Williamson has been painful all season but we forfeited the game today and that's almost unforgivable.

There's not many competitions or seasons in those competitions were you have a chance of doing something. I'm sickened by the sides we've put on the field these last few seasons. Do we think he'll play his strongest side against Metalist; will he fuck. Roll out another excuse.

I know lads who've  been to Brighton 2 years running and those fans deserve much much better. We had a few players out, yes, but that was turgid today and completely unacceptable. Htf are we supposed to attract better players the way we're performing? What a fuck up.

Pardew's approach to cup games sickens me, especially this season when he moans about the Europa League, a competition we all dreamed of being in following our relegation. Cup games, especially the domestic cups, are part of the season, they're competitive games and should be just as serious as league games, arguably more so for us given how long it's been since Newcastle won a domestic cup. If we need to be put out of the FA Cup to help our league form then it shows just what a shambles Pardew has made this team become.

Remember the fury when Robson's team went out to Wolves? Too many people happy to just meekly exit every competition at the first hurdle these days, lets him get away with it.

Just got back to Northampton after being at the game (unfortunately my brothers now have a 3.5hr drive back to Newcastle) and I'm still angry. Just seen some of the footage on the tv and its painful - the highlights will definitely be given a skip tonight.

Less said about the game the better. Truly stuff of nightmares. Not one player deserves a mention or even a 'they tried'. How long can we continue to say they are inexperienced? Most of them have had more than enough games this season. Lots of lost little boys either too scared to move away from the spots they've been told to stand in or never in their spots to begin with. My finger of blame lies at the feet of many.

Again the officials didn't offer anything. Too many times the linesmen stood there and only flagged for something when told so by their 'Dad'. Their Dad, Lee Mack, tried everything to help Brighton. I'll need to see the incidents again before commenting but going back to show Newcastle players yellow cards whilst worse from Brighton don't even get  an advantage shown (the challenge on Shola just before Bigi's shot for example). All he did, normally when the game was still going on, was to jokingly say 'dont do that again' to an offence that he technically hadn't seen/given. I'd love to see his match report as some of his decisions were mindblowing. We can't lay the blame of defeat on the officials but they didn't help us out one bit. I'm not saying its a fix but it is the FA's cup...

Atmosphere wise, we were on the right as we looked at the pitch and it wasn't that bad. True enough it wasn't the noise of normal away games but southern games generally aren't that loud. For the first half we kept the songs going. Second half the football started to get to us and we ended up groaning and sighing rather than supporting. The last 5-10 minutes got going again but that was only to show the players we were there. I stayed to the end but walked out rather than applauding/booing, it really wasn't worth anymore effort.

As for post match Pardew, I'd like him to stand in the away end and say those things. 'Effort' is paying and making it down to Brighton for a 12:30 televised game. 'Effort' is not simply walking out of the pitch and making up the numbers. It was a bad lose and I feel obliged to be angry. However, and I'm not against the guy, his comments have hit a sore nerve and won't make him any friends. Enough of this 'injured and missing players' stuff, the players you picked were mentally nowhere near match prepared and changes were very slow to happen. Sitting there so Marv can make a fresh impact at 70 minutes? Quite frankly, fuck off ...

A mountain of things to work on this week as today was totally unacceptable. Get some players back, don't play the Ameobis, work on possession triangles, DO NOT resort to a high defensive line, get players talking and most of all prepare them for a dog eat dog and physical game. We need every single one of them to be men not boys!

Will I be there next Saturday to do it all over again, yeah definitely!!

That's exactly it like, injuries means nothing when the players you do send out are far from prepared. We must be the only club in the Premier League with youth players who aren't up for it when making a first team appearance.

I was really looking forward to Europe in particular this season, but Pardew will almost certainly see us fall out of it limply in the next round citing the excuse of our fucking pathetic league form/predicament. All of which is caused by himself. Yet some on here buy it; disregarding the Europa League as a shit competition and don't seem arsed we've been dumped out of the FA Cup yet again.

I've booked up for Kharkiv not because I expect a good result, but simply because I fully expect it to be the last opportunity to watch NUFC on the continent both this season and for a long time to come. What a fucking waste, honestly what is the point of a football club and supporting it if there is absolutely no interest to win anything?

Remember the fury when Robson's team went out to Wolves? Too many people happy to just meekly exit every competition at the first hurdle these days, lets him get away with it.

We played a full strength squad that day.

I can't hide my utter dismay and embarrassment at not just today but our cup performances and the attitude of Pardew towards these competitions ever since he took over. It's unforgivable.

I can't hide my utter dismay and embarrassment at not just today but our cup performances and the attitude of Pardew towards these competitions ever since he took over. It's unforgivable.

If I'm not mistaken we've won 3 domestic cup games out of 7 under him. One was due to one of the best 10 goals in the world of that year,  the other both went to extra time against lower league opposition. Utterly pathetic.

We played a full strength squad that day.

What the fuck has that got to do with supporter attitudes?

Who wants an FA Cup run anyway? Absolutely spineless performance, my heart goes out for the supporters who spent hard earned money to go down there. Regardless of injuries, suspensions and whichever other excuse Pardew wishes to name, why can we go out and attack against manure and Arsenal , score 6 goals (albeit conceding 11), but not play with any tempo or spirit against Brighton, or all those other teams who have beaten us in 10 of the last 12 games? Norwich away next Saturday - pity help us if we lose. :rant:

Just got back to Northampton after being at the game (unfortunately my brothers now have a 3.5hr drive back to Newcastle) and I'm still angry. Just seen some of the footage on the tv and its painful - the highlights will definitely be given a skip tonight.

Less said about the game the better. Truly stuff of nightmares. Not one player deserves a mention or even a 'they tried'. How long can we continue to say they are inexperienced? Most of them have had more than enough games this season. Lots of lost little boys either too scared to move away from the spots they've been told to stand in or never in their spots to begin with. My finger of blame lies at the feet of many.

Again the officials didn't offer anything. Too many times the linesmen stood there and only flagged for something when told so by their 'Dad'. Their Dad, Lee Mack, tried everything to help Brighton. I'll need to see the incidents again before commenting but going back to show Newcastle players yellow cards whilst worse from Brighton don't even get  an advantage shown (the challenge on Shola just before Bigi's shot for example). All he did, normally when the game was still going on, was to jokingly say 'dont do that again' to an offence that he technically hadn't seen/given. I'd love to see his match report as some of his decisions were mindblowing. We can't lay the blame of defeat on the officials but they didn't help us out one bit. I'm not saying its a fix but it is the FA's cup...

Atmosphere wise, we were on the right as we looked at the pitch and it wasn't that bad. True enough it wasn't the noise of normal away games but southern games generally aren't that loud. For the first half we kept the songs going. Second half the football started to get to us and we ended up groaning and sighing rather than supporting. The last 5-10 minutes got going again but that was only to show the players we were there. I stayed to the end but walked out rather than applauding/booing, it really wasn't worth anymore effort.

As for post match Pardew, I'd like him to stand in the away end and say those things. 'Effort' is paying and making it down to Brighton for a 12:30 televised game. 'Effort' is not simply walking out of the pitch and making up the numbers. It was a bad lose and I feel obliged to be angry. However, and I'm not against the guy, his comments have hit a sore nerve and won't make him any friends. Enough of this 'injured and missing players' stuff, the players you picked were mentally nowhere near match prepared and changes were very slow to happen. Sitting there so Marv can make a fresh impact at 70 minutes? Quite frankly, f*** off ...

A mountain of things to work on this week as today was totally unacceptable. Get some players back, don't play the Ameobis, work on possession triangles, DO NOT resort to a high defensive line, get players talking and most of all prepare them for a dog eat dog and physical game. We need every single one of them to be men not boys!

Will I be there next Saturday to do it all over again, yeah definitely!!

Excellent post!

I was really looking forward to Europe in particular this season, but Pardew will almost certainly see us fall out of it limply in the next round citing the excuse of our f***ing pathetic league form/predicament. All of which is caused by himself. Yet some on here buy it; disregarding the Europa League as a s*** competition and don't seem arsed we've been dumped out of the FA Cup yet again.

I've booked up for Kharkiv not because I expect a good result, but simply because I fully expect it to be the last opportunity to watch NUFC on the continent both this season and for a long time to come. What a f***ing waste, honestly what is the point of a football club and supporting it if there is absolutely no interest to win anything?

Yeah I agree, the attitude of the club towards cup competitions is terrible, we should try to do well at every competition we are in and not worry about prioritising. But not taking the Europa league seriously pisses all over the hard work we put in last season to get there.