Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd argue whoever is in charge of scouting for Southampton should be held up in some regard.

Sadio Mane, Fonte, Lovren, Tadic, Pelle, Bertrand, etc.

To be fair like, Bertrand came through Chelsea's youth system, having been loaned out all over. Pelle was with Koeman at Feyenoord where he presumably watched Tadic at Twente and Fonte was signed by Pardew having been at Palace.

It's hardly unearthing gems and as Sewelly said, if we were prepared to invest in more than one scout, we could easily do similar.

I'd argue whoever is in charge of scouting for Southampton should be held up in some regard.

To be fair like, Bertrand came through Chelsea's youth system, having been loaned out all over. Pelle was with Koeman at Feyenoord where he presumably watched Tadic at Twente and Fonte was signed by Pardew having been at Palace.

It's hardly unearthing gems and as Sewelly said, if we were prepared to invest in more than one scout, we could easily do similar.

All good players signed for reasonable fees near and far. I'd say thats good scouting no matter what you say.

All good players signed for reasonable fees near and far. I'd say thats good scouting no matter what you say.

Like most clubs they've been hit and miss.

Osvaldo £15m

Gardos £4m

Long £12m

Forster £10m

Ramirez £12

The majority of their higher purchases have been poor, it's only really offset by the income they've received from some good sales.

That podcast doesnt exactly fill you with hope like. Also points out at that fee he needs to be as good as/superior to the likes of Ayew, Payet and Shaqiri who've all went for similar sums.

It has failure written all over it tbh but I'm still excited to see him. Maybe it will be the making of him.

That podcast doesnt exactly fill you with hope like. Also points out at that fee he needs to be as good as/superior to the likes of Ayew, Payet and Shaqiri who've all went for similar sums.

It has failure written all over it tbh but I'm still excited to see him. Maybe it will be the making of him.

He's much younger than Payet or Ayew and likely on much lower wages than Shaqiri.

It's just buying well within reason. With the examples above its not like they've sent someone halfway across the globe not knowing what to expect when they get there.

The one thing we know is that club won't overstretch themselves financially.  They will only pay what they want and within their budget so it is not something I am worried about.

The only thing is whether they are investing in the right area of the team and that is a concern until the defence is addressed.

Interesting podcast on the transfer.

http://gib2504.hipcast.com/deluge/gib2504-20150818040840.mp3

Hate to say it, but everyone other than other Newcastle fans who I've heard speak about Thauvin (Marseille fans, Ligue 1 watchers and just other neutrals) have echoed these guys' thoughts about him.  I've seen him a few times for Marseille and havent been particularly impressed. Especially for €17m.

I'm only up to 7:30 on the podcast, I assume they don't suddenly change their thoughts though :lol:

No.

Final question to the three of them.

Will he be a success at Newcastle?

No.

No.

No.

Aceballs. :undecided:

Interesting podcast on the transfer.

http://gib2504.hipcast.com/deluge/gib2504-20150818040840.mp3

Hate to say it, but everyone other than other Newcastle fans who I've heard speak about Thauvin (Marseille fans, Ligue 1 watchers and just other neutrals) have echoed these guys' thoughts about him.  I've seen him a few times for Marseille and havent been particularly impressed. Especially for €17m.

I'm only up to 7:30 on the podcast, I assume they don't suddenly change their thoughts though :lol:

No.

Final question to the three of them.

Will he be a success at Newcastle?

No.

No.

No.

Aceballs. :undecided:

"So many Newcastle fans seem to see Thauvin as some kind of wing messiah"

Fuck off.

he's got the same type of coupon as of one of the annoying shites out of these teen bollocks films like hunger games and such

http://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2015/8/18/1439928727959/Florian-Thauvin-009.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=ed123d9f32a8c32198f88773c55277da

Southampton and Swansea's scouting always seems ace because they both have stable, functioning football clubs. They have a continuity in decision making at board level and style of play that they want to see on the pitch. They continually sign players to fit into their system and to fill positions they need. They sell a player and they buy a replacement they've already had lined up. It is a constant rejuvenation and squad building process. Ours by comparison is a mess that reflects the lack of knowledge and stability at board level and the lack of an ingrained style of play. We change our supposed policy every summer, replace players on 1-2 year delays, sign players we don't need because they're cheap etc etc. Not to mention we have no real actual footballing ethos running through the club, resulting in players who don't settle and get worse playing for us.

Carr is only one bloke. I'm sure he knows his football and can spot decent players, but that doesn't change the fact he's one man picking footballers for a PL club in a global game. It's inevitable our competitive edge is limited if we're scouting 2-3 countries with a budget that has us quickly moving onto our 3rd and 4th choices.

The mess at NUFC isn't only because there is a lack of knowledge at the top...there certainly is, but there is also a LACK OF WILL to do anything about it as long as the club steers clear of relegation. Swansea and Saints WANT to achieve things(Swansea actually won the LC a couple of years ago)whereas NUFC has been(and probably still will be)run purely to stay in the PL and without any desire to win silverware. As you say, there is NO continuity in the transfer market and players are bought purely for what the can realize financially in future years rather than to fill a glaring gap in the side or in anticipation of a departure.

Until I see things happening differently, I will never believe that the club's policy has changed, no matter WHAT Ashley might say on his 'preferred' media outlet(i.e., one that doesn't criticize him or the club's lack of success).

Swansea and Saints make us look the amateurs we are.

Just based on clips, I wasn't all that impressed. Useful, if he's prepared to work hard for the team, but not some superstar who can be indulged.

He actually looks like quite strong and good in the air. I read somewhere that he prefers to play down the middle rather than out wide, so he doesn't have to do too much defending. Not exactly what you want to hear, but I do wonder whether he's better used in a more central position.

Still, if it's more or less a swap with Cabella, it's worth the risk.