Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

However, if we don't give away that pen, I think Villa's lift would have wilted pretty quickly.

Aye, I was a bit annoyed when people started slating Pardew after Benteke scored the pen, that was just about the last thing today you could pin on him. :lol:

There was always going to be a bit of impetus and pressure from Villa at the start of the half, especially with Agbonlahor's pace and Weimann's energy entering the fray (and the completely anonymous Bent going off anarl), we just had to weather it and we didn't.

Mind you, that doesn't excuse the negative subs etc from Pardew once Villa did get that impetus and that belief that suddenly they could get summat.

Yep, spot on.

I don't understand Pardew's faith in Shola and Jonas mind.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

I think their penalty was a joke, a pure gift. The game was turned on that and our nerves impacted by their crowd pushed us to the edge.

We need to draw the positives from the 1st half.

Guest icemanblue

However, if we don't give away that pen, I think Villa's lift would have wilted pretty quickly.

Aye, I was a bit annoyed when people started slating Pardew after Benteke scored the pen, that was just about the last thing today you could pin on him. :lol:

There was always going to be a bit of impetus and pressure from Villa at the start of the half, especially with Agbonlahor's pace and Weimann's energy entering the fray (and the completely anonymous Bent going off anarl), we just had to weather it and we didn't.

Mind you, that doesn't excuse the negative subs etc from Pardew once Villa did get that impetus and that belief that suddenly they could get summat.

Not at all, he made the wrong call with them. It was an individual mistake that changed the game, though. That needs to be remembered.

I could have understood if the Villa pressure had been going on for 15-20 minutes, as they really did fight tooth and nail and it did shake us up. I don´t think it is a weak mentality in the team. Problem lies with Padre who set us up to invite the pressure on us, instead of trying to calm things down with possession.

Those subs man....I am speechless. I don´t think I´ve been critical to Pardew this season, but tonight he made me doubt how this season will pan out.

All he had to do was sub Anita on for Jonas and give him the same role, and instruct the team to retain possession. I know that sounds extremely pompous, and although the second half never would have been as good as the first due to the immense work the Villa players did, we would have won in a more comfortable fashion.

it sounds so easy "keep possession", do you not think we were actually trying that but failing at it and thats where the pressure came from ? it's like saying "try not to shoot wide"

What?

Keeping possession is something you do with tactic, a plan.

Not having ten men in defense, lumping the ball up to Shola who barely resembles a footballer these days.

"try not to shoot wide"  :lol: :lol:

Not at all, he made the wrong call with them. It was an individual mistake that changed the game, though. That needs to be remembered.

People generally underrate the importance of that stuff in football. The subs were baffling, but you can't always legislate for momentum and individual decisions.

Thank f***

Awful, awful, awful second half :(

tactics probably the same as the first but they never responded from the whistle in the second half. the players never responded to the higher pressure and tempo.

Probably the same? Or looking at all of our other performances under Pardew, were they probably different? Given that we almost always concede initiative if we're winning.

looking at today we didn't have the ball enough to see if we'd changed tactics. one thing for definite, cabaye and sissoko had nowhere near the movement looking for the ball and working in the second half, or was that pardews tactic, stand still 35yds out and don't even trail back ?

I don't know what his exact instructions are, but we can all see the effect of them, can't we?

:thup: it was the reaction to said mistake and what came afterwards that has got so many people's knickers (rightly) in a twist, for sure.

Just got back - 3 points! But fuck me, it was nerve racking in the second half! Don't know what the fuck Pardew was thinking with those substitutions  :idiot2:

Sissoko was a massive plus though! Quality performance! Gouffran played well too.

I know it's 3 points, but the second half performance (TACTICS) was shocking!

Thank f***

tactics probably the same as the first but they never responded from the whistle in the second half. the players never responded to the higher pressure and tempo.

Probably the same? Or looking at all of our other performances under Pardew, were they probably different? Given that we almost always concede initiative if we're winning.

looking at today we didn't have the ball enough to see if we'd changed tactics. one thing for definite, cabaye and sissoko had nowhere near the movement looking for the ball and working in the second half, or was that pardews tactic, stand still 35yds out and don't even trail back ?

I don't know what his exact instructions are, but we can all see the effect of them, can't we?

and if the instructions were "just keep it going, more of the same"  but we couldn't live with the tempo ?, we were without an effective central midfield for the last 35mins.

Thank f***

and if the instructions were "just keep it going, more of the same"  but we couldn't live with the tempo ?, we were without an effective central midfield for the last 35mins.

Do we just add it to the list of all the other teams we've not been able to "live with the tempo" of then? Like Reading last week? Like every other game where his second half tactics are identical - kick it at Shola?

Thank f***

And the reason for that is.....................?

Guest ItalianMagpie

Really really worried about this squad. We are mentally extremely weak, we inevitably crumble at the first hint of trouble no matter how s*** is our opponent. Squad with no balls=relegation.

Pardew is an idiot, but these players have no bollocks.

f*** this s***, hating football again.

You're mistaking confidence and momentum for weakness IMO. We don't lack spirit, we're just nervous because we've had such a bad run.

But we had such a bad run because every single time it turns ugly we can't deal with it and panic.

I agree confidence play its part here, but that run is ridiculous and it can't be due to that only.

Guest icemanblue

We were being hammered up to the point Debuchy gave away that stupid pen. We hadn't got any sort of grip from kickoff of the 2nd half and that continued till full-time. Them scoring changed the scoreline...not the way we were playing. That needs to be remembered.

Although I do agree that if it wasn't converted...they would have wilted.

I think we would have regained our grip had the pen not been given. But, we'll never know. I wouldn't agree that we were being 'hammered' at that point either. We'd rode some early pressure and looked to be making efforts to slow the game in the proper manner. The important thing here is that we won.

Thank f***

I'm talking about the big picture here, which I did with my first post but you seem to just be ignoring it. I don't think it matters what the instructions were. We can all see that whatever instructions Pardew gives to the team when we're ahead results in a collective shitting of pants and handing over of initiative. It's been one of the main themes of his time here. So when it happens again tonight specifics don't matter imo, it's just more of the same management.

Guest bimpy474

Just got back from Watching this, does anybody know what position mbiwa was playing when he came on?

In front of the back four it looked.

Guest palnese

Just got back from Watching this, does anybody know what position mbiwa was playing when he came on?

Looked more like a midfielder in a flat 4-4-2 to me.

Inochi:

Well we didn't, and yes, once again we were absolutely abysmal after going in front. It's not just this match. It happens because of how the coward in charge sets us up. He simply has to be sacked. Can't stand it/him anymore.

Looked more like a midfielder in a flat 4-4-2 to me.

who were the front 2 ?