Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

Being positive. Before the game it was all about winning and not the performance. We won. Debutants looked solid. We move on and upwards. Personally I believe that is a harder game than Chelsea on Saturday. This game had so much pressure on it, 10 days waiting and we came through with 3 points. IMO it would have been a lot more comfortable if they didn't get that penalty so early in the second half.

The confidence the players should gain from not only winning, but holding on for the three points will be significant IMO. Too many games this season we have dropped our arse when in a lead, and left with 1 point, or 0.

Sissoko and Gouffy did well. Thought they looked a little bit tired, hence the subs.

Pardew - Meh.

Onwards and upwards.

Yep, in the morning I will happy to agree with this fully.

We did drop our arse in a lead again, though. That's the point. :lol:

What's the message from tonight's lesson? Sometimes our keeper will have a blinder and everything will be rosy?

I could have understood if the Villa pressure had been going on for 15-20 minutes, as they really did fight tooth and nail and it did shake us up. I don´t think it is a weak mentality in the team. Problem lies with Padre who set us up to invite the pressure on us, instead of trying to calm things down with possession.

Those subs man....I am speechless. I don´t think I´ve been critical to Pardew this season, but tonight he made me doubt how this season will pan out.

All he had to do was sub Anita on for Jonas and give him the same role, and instruct the team to retain possession. I know that sounds extremely pompous, and although the second half never would have been as good as the first due to the immense work the Villa players did, we would have won in a more comfortable fashion.

Being positive. Before the game it was all about winning and not the performance. We won. Debutants looked solid. We move on and upwards. Personally I believe that is a harder game than Chelsea on Saturday. This game had so much pressure on it, 10 days waiting and we came through with 3 points. IMO it would have been a lot more comfortable if they didn't get that penalty so early in the second half.

The confidence the players should gain from not only winning, but holding on for the three points will be significant IMO. Too many games this season we have dropped our arse when in a lead, and left with 1 point, or 0.

Sissoko and Gouffy did well. Thought they looked a little bit tired, hence the subs.

Pardew - Meh.

Onwards and upwards.

What's the message from tonight's lesson? Sometimes our keeper will have a blinder and everything will be rosy?

Or last season, as it is known.

Thank f***

Awful, awful, awful second half :(

tactics probably the same as the first but they never responded from the whistle in the second half. the players never responded to the higher pressure and tempo.

Probably the same? Or looking at all of our other performances under Pardew, were they probably different? Given that we almost always concede initiative if we're winning.

looking at today we didn't have the ball enough to see if we'd changed tactics. one thing for definite, cabaye and sissoko had nowhere near the movement looking for the ball and working in the second half, or was that pardews tactic, stand still 35yds out and don't even trail back ?

I think this is a point that needs to be understood. Obviously Pardew didn't manage to shore things up at all, but the game fragmented and turned into a situation where almost no gameplan was going to be implementable.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth criticising the substitutions. They didn't improve things, but we were in trouble before and he needed to try to make some changes.

In the first half, our pressing game looked better than it had all season. In the second half, it disappeared, right from the start. We backed off and let them pick a pass / long ball at their leisure. And when we recovered the ball, the man in possession seemed to have no options.

Yep, combined with the soft pen and the crowd/Villa getting lifted led to a terminal turnaround in the momentum of the game.

Not necessarily Pardew's fault, he just didn't manage to stop it very well.

thing is, perch should've stayed on, shola could still have came on but at that point either sissoko or cabaye should have went off, both looked shot.

Pardew - Meh.

Onwards and upwards.

We didn't bottle it IMO, the momentum swung massively in Villa's favour and we battled the best we could.

I'm just agreeing that the confidence should be boosted by coming through the battle with the 3 points. No doubt Villa created more chances than we would like.

I could have understood if the Villa pressure had been going on for 15-20 minutes, as they really did fight tooth and nail and it did shake us up. I don´t think it is a weak mentality in the team. Problem lies with Padre who set us up to invite the pressure on us, instead of trying to calm things down with possession.

Those subs man....I am speechless. I don´t think I´ve been critical to Pardew this season, but tonight he made me doubt how this season will pan out.

All he had to do was sub Anita on for Jonas and give him the same role, and instruct the team to retain possession. I know that sounds extremely pompous, and although the second half never would have been as good as the first due to the immense work the Villa players did, we would have won in a more comfortable fashion.

it sounds so easy "keep possession", do you not think we were actually trying that but failing at it and thats where the pressure came from ? it's like saying "try not to shoot wide"

Guest alijmitchell

This is going to be one of those games where tomorrow we are going to feel so much better. Just remember how shit it was after Reading, at least we don't have that to contend with today. There are a whole heap of positives from tonight.

i was deeply shocked when shola was brought on with 25 minutes left...and i still cant believe it.

He is useless in every way. How cant pardew see it?

Im worried that shola was a part of his defensive plan already at that point.

incredible... :idiot2:

Guest firetotheworks

Why does this feel like a loss? :lol:

because we deserved to lose against the worst team we've played this season, everything that Pardew did was fucking mind-boggling, and he'll do it again on Saturday.

That first half felt like you've just had sex with Adriana Lima, and the second half is when she tells you that she has given you HIV. Over the moon with 3 points, but fuck me, what was Pardew doing? Seriously :lol: Absolutely clueless!!

Fair play to lambert with the changes, really got in our faces and made a game of it.

Shame Pardew didn't know how to react to this, a manager doing his job.

don't know what agbonlahor's been like recently bit i was pleased when i saw he wasn't starting.

Guest icemanblue

Three points was what we needed. Positives of a really encouraging first half performance and two lovely goals. We also didn't concede from open play (just), with a daft tackle giving them a route back into the game. Negatives of absolutely shitting our pants in the second. We're fragile mentally, and the substitutions didn't help. Jonas needed to be the one coming off. However, if we don't give away that pen, I think Villa's lift would have wilted pretty quickly.

Onwards an upwards, innit.

it sounds so easy "keep possession", do you not think we were actually trying that but failing at it and thats where the pressure came from ? it's like saying "try not to shoot wide"

Hard to try and keep possession when it´s 10 men behind the ball in our own half for 40 minutes, so no. The players might have wanted to, but the tactics didn´t allow it to happen.

I know it sounds so easy to say "just keep possession" by the way, hence the sentence afterwards  :lol:

Why am I watching the highlights? I've just calmed down.

It's alright, you know the result now.

doesn't matter, i've a mate who still expects a leicester fan to kick steve walsh's own goal off the line at filbert street in THAT game.

We can pick at the same problems we've had all season long - but here's something we've got. An away win; our first of the season. And normally when our backs have been to the wall, we've bottled it and either tied or lost.

So what have we learned here? We had the fight to grit out a result + well, like in all sport - some luck was on our side and they missed some sitters :lol:

Positive first half. Pathetic second half. I will never understand Pardew. Taking off Perch, who I thought was crucial in that period we were destroyed possession wise. And he unleashes Shola. Just sick of it.

Extremely important 3 points and good performances from Krul and the debutants aside, that was more worrying than the opposite in the end.

However, if we don't give away that pen, I think Villa's lift would have wilted pretty quickly.

Aye, I was a bit annoyed when people started slating Pardew after Benteke scored the pen, that was just about the last thing today you could pin on him. :lol:

There was always going to be a bit of impetus and pressure from Villa at the start of the half, especially with Agbonlahor's pace and Weimann's energy entering the fray (and the completely anonymous Bent going off anarl), we just had to weather it and we didn't.

Mind you, that doesn't excuse the negative subs etc from Pardew once Villa did get that impetus and that belief that suddenly they could get summat.