Match fixing scandal?

themanupstairs

Liverpool today said they have had no contact from Europol or any other body in connection with match-fixing allegations surrounding their 2009 Champions League match against Debrecen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/05/liverpool-debrecen-champions-league-2009

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak

Hungarian club Debrecen confirm their Champions League match against Liverpool in 2009 part of European police match-fixing investigation

http://thedailyheckled.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/latest-match-fixing-scandal-rocks-italian-football-amidst-claims-that-a-serie-b-game-was-not-rigged/

As Europol announced yesterday that over 380 games across Europe were under investigation in connection to an Asian gambling syndicate, shocking news has come from within the Italian Football Federation.

“After extensive investigation into the matter, it is my sad duty to announce that the game between AS Bari and Reggina on November 12 of last year took place with no pressure from outside influences whatsoever,” said IFF spokesman Paolo Matchfixi, whilst sipping an espresso, yesterday. “At this time we are looking into ways that we can assure that this never happens again.”

“I really don’t know what to tell you, other than that I am really, very sorry,” said Bari captain Pierluigi Quattro-Stagioni as he shot past a press conference on a Vespa. “Yes, we lost the game, but for that I received no financial compensation. We were just shit.”

Throughout history, from the Totonero scandals of 1980 and 1986, Calciopoli in 2006, and Scommessopoli in 2011, Italian football has a proud, celebrated tradition of match-fixing. However, in light of the shocking events taken place in Bari, and the news that 14 arrests have already been made in Germany – with a further 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals under suspicion – many Italians are worried that their game will be considered as dropping in standards.

“This is shocking news,” bella-bella-bella-belicimo-ed Silvio Berlusconi, yesterday. “Through my many decades in politics and as Chairman of AC Milan, I have tried to lead by example, but to hear that all my efforts are being ignored – that corruption may be fading out of Italian football – well it really is very disturbing,” he added with his hand up the skirt of a passing teenager.

Italian football fans last night were expressing their dismay at recent events by abusing black players from other teams and stabbing visiting British football fans in open piazzas.

Investigations are ongoing.

Apologies if Welsh super injunction

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Liverpool today said they have had no contact from Europol or any other body in connection with match-fixing allegations surrounding their 2009 Champions League match against Debrecen.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/05/liverpool-debrecen-champions-league-2009

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak

Hungarian club Debrecen confirm their Champions League match against Liverpool in 2009 part of European police match-fixing investigation

:lol:

Madness.

http://footballisfixed.blogspot.co.uk/

this blog ran for a few years, until 2012, written by someone who claimed contacts in the asian betting markets.  all of the blogs from the time have been deleted, but it started up again this week.

a lot of it was cryptic, a lot of it was about other corruption in financial markets, but all of it was compelling and very readable.  i'll be keen to see what he comes up with now the media are reporting suggestions of corruption.

sometimes, he would be very specific in public blogs, and point to matches where, he says, the asian markets suggested large amounts of money being placed on certain outcomes (often linked to late changes in referees, which seemed to happen a lot for tv games).  one in particular was a very short blog 15min before kick off the day we played liverpool, the match which was played just after babayaros brother (cousin?) had died.  it said simply that the market advice had changed, and that newcastle were certain to win.

soon after, he started charging large amounts in subs to read private blogs, which would contain betting advice and from then on he only rarely gave away free tips.

he may well be a chancer overstating his inside knowledge, but it was a fascinating read at the time so it could be again

This could be something as simple as which team wins the first throw in, with the player involved booting it out from kick off.

Right.

Claus Lundekvam said on Norwegian telly a while back that him and other players used to bet on stuff like that and then do it.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

This could be something as simple as which team wins the first throw in, with the player involved booting it out from kick off.

Right.

Claus Lundekvam said on Norwegian telly a while back that him and other players used to bet on stuff like that and then do it.

Le Tissier said just as much, actually probably was when they were at Southampton together! Stuff like first throw in and cornerkick. Le Tisser said he'd get the ball and shank it out for a throw in.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/11/fifa-claus-lundekvam-spot-fixing

Matt Le Tissier, the former Southampton midfielder, admitted in 2009 that he had once been involved in a failed spot-fixing coup. He moved to distance himself from the new claims in a tweet that said: "aside from the 1 incident mentioned in my book ive never been involved in any betting scams and had no idea of claus lundekvams claims."

Le Tissier admitted betting on the timing of a first throw-in and attempting to kick the ball out of play in a proposed scam in a match against Wimbledon in 1995, the year before Lundekvam joined Southamption. Speaking three years ago, Le Tissier said: "I've put it in there [his book] more as a warning for other people, saying 'don't be so stupid and get involved in that'. It wasn't something I was particularly proud of but it was something that happened."

http://footballisfixed.blogspot.co.uk/

this blog ran for a few years, until 2012, written by someone who claimed contacts in the asian betting markets.  all of the blogs from the time have been deleted, but it started up again this week.

a lot of it was cryptic, a lot of it was about other corruption in financial markets, but all of it was compelling and very readable.  i'll be keen to see what he comes up with now the media are reporting suggestions of corruption.

sometimes, he would be very specific in public blogs, and point to matches where, he says, the asian markets suggested large amounts of money being placed on certain outcomes (often linked to late changes in referees, which seemed to happen a lot for tv games).  one in particular was a very short blog 15min before kick off the day we played liverpool, the match which was played just after babayaros brother (cousin?) had died.  it said simply that the market advice had changed, and that newcastle were certain to win.

soon after, he started charging large amounts in subs to read private blogs, which would contain betting advice and from then on he only rarely gave away free tips.

he may well be a chancer overstating his inside knowledge, but it was a fascinating read at the time so it could be again

An excellent read this morning, but the latest post has now been taken down  :sad: